Did minetest get better than minecraft? comment your opinion

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

CheerfulCherub wrote:As much as I like this game, and I really do, how can you say Minetest is better than Minecraft, they have alot more things going on in Minecraft, they got dogs and cats you can tame, they got 3D playable characters in Singleplayer mode as well as creative mood, they got mobs, their Holidays textures are really nice, and their Mods seem to work better. The Nether in Minecraft is way bigger with really cool mobs. Having said all that, I like our textures better in this game, it's free and that a bonus in itself and they can afford to have all the things I said above because it a pay to play game. Working on refreshing my C++, took a class in College and I love it, so maybe I can help with some mod making to. This is just my opinion.
Just facts:
* Minetest world can be bigger (in height for sure)
* Minetest need way poorer pc than MC
* Minetest counts with moding (in MC it is more like hacking clients/servers)
* Minetest is opensource so it is completely free, everybody can modify it in the way how they like.
* Minetest can have mobs too
* In minetest can everybody create own game (even with minimal programing knowledge)

Thats what i know even without much thinking.. BTW I played minecraft 1 hour, so there will be much more points where is minetest better
Last edited by Pitriss on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

MrElmux

by MrElmux » Post

Minetest vs Minecraft is the same question as Linux vs Windows. Minetest is better design but minecraft has simply the mass of users
The only thing we can do is pushing minetest to perfection (Both Game and Engine) and wait
the mills of fairness grind slowly but they grind at all

CitroPotter

by CitroPotter » Post

hoodedice wrote:
CheerfulCherub wrote:As much as I like this game, and I really do, how can you say Minetest is better than Minecraft, they have alot more things going on in Minecraft, they got dogs and cats you can tame, they got 3D playable characters in Singleplayer mode as well as creative mood, they got mobs, their Holidays textures are really nice, and their Mods seem to work better. The Nether in Minecraft is way bigger with really cool mobs. Having said all that, I like our textures better in this game, it's free and that a bonus in itself and they can afford to have all the things I said above because it a pay to play game. Working on refreshing my C++, took a class in College and I love it, so maybe I can help with some mod making to. This is just my opinion.
...mods are written in .lua...
Dot lua(i am not sure)
I like Minetest as i am not good in fighting as in building.
Last edited by CitroPotter on Thu Feb 06, 2014 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

CitroPotter wrote:
hoodedice wrote:
CheerfulCherub wrote:-snip-
Dot lua(i am not sure)
lua. NOT DOT LUA. JUST LUA. LUA. *cringe*
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

CheerfulCherub wrote:and their Mods seem to work better.
Putting many big mods into MC will make it crash on startup because of mod incompatibilities.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

hoodedice wrote:
CitroPotter wrote:
hoodedice wrote:
Dot lua(i am not sure)
its Lua not LUA.

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

I think it's better in the simple fact that we are a close knit community. if you are active in the forums, chances are, you know most of the people.

one thing we do need though is someone who makes tutorials on how to build different types of houses, and give building tips. currently my only source for such videos are from MC. And although BloodZealous does a pretty good job, I would appreciate it in the minetest format instead.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
hoodedice wrote:
CitroPotter wrote: Dot lua(i am not sure)
its Lua not LUA.
yes, Lua as in the moon. so painful watching my dad (who is a programmer) name it LUA in his versioin of eclipse while showing me how to add the interface. fortunately, he canceled his install, and that error is not there.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

MrElmux wrote:Minetest vs Minecraft is the same question as Linux vs Windows. Minetest is better design but minecraft has simply the mass of users
The only thing we can do is pushing minetest to perfection (Both Game and Engine) and wait
the mills of fairness grind slowly but they grind at all

I feel this is a bad comparison as Microsoft just plain sucks. I would say minecraft is better than Microsoft.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
hoodedice wrote:
CitroPotter wrote: Dot lua(i am not sure)
its Lua not LUA.
*jumps off building in utter despair at having wrote it wrongly*
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

MrElmux wrote:Minetest vs Minecraft is the same question as Linux vs Windows.
That sums it up quite good. It's not the question of what is better, free software is just utterly different from closed and commercial software. In Minetest you can change anything you want, and possibly do the most wired thinks you can think of, the same with Linux (from a raspberry pi to supercomputers). With Minecraft and Windows you can only do what Minecraft and Windows thought of.
The decentralized world project I'm dreaming of (see Tinas and WorldDiff) is just impossible with closed software. With free software it will take some work, but generally is possible to do.

CheerfulCherub

by CheerfulCherub » Post

Can't wait to get my other computer up and running, it's got a duel core in it and I think my mods will work better on that, considering I can't get the mobs one to work and I can't get the simple mobs to work, won't load some of the animals, and the other one just won't work at all.

MustLoveCats

by MustLoveCats » Post

I agree that Minetest is better than Minecraft. Here's my little list (I like lists):

1. It's free. If there's one thing everyone in the world likes, it's getting stuff for free. Minetest is a perfect example of this.

2. Easier modding. Minetest is very mod-friendly and even has an in-game source to download mods. I am very happy with this myself because it takes all the hassle out of downloading stuff like Winzip, then doing all that whatchamacallit associated with it.

3. Better multiplayer system. Minetest makes it easier to connect to multiplayer servers than Minecraft. It shows a full list of active servers in-game, instead of you having to take your time to find an IP adress from the internet somewhere, like Minecraft does. It is also easier (and possibly a bit less expensive) to create and run multiplayer servers. Another main reason multiplayer is better is due to #4...

4. Friendlier players. There may statistically be less friendly players than Minecraft (only due in part of Minecraft having more players period), but technically if Minetest and Minecraft had the same amount of players, Minetest would have more friendly people. Another thing is, even without the same amount of people, there are less Minetest griefers (This is surprising to me because Minetest is free and Minecraft is not.)

That's all on my list. Something to note is, you get different results on the different group of people you ask. This means if you ask people on Minetest forums, "Which is better: Minecraft or Minetest?" they will say "Minetest!" If you were ask the same to people on the Minecraft forums, they'd say, "Minecraft!". It's kind of like asking communists, "Is communism better or capitalism?" and then asking capitalists the same. You can guess who'll say what.

-MustLoveCats
Last edited by MustLoveCats on Sun Feb 09, 2014 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

CraigyDavi
GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio
In-game: CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

MustLoveCats, those are some good points. The 2 biggest things which I like about minetest is that it is open source and that minetest has a much friendlier community.
It is also easier (and possibly a bit less expensive) to create and run multiplayer servers.
Wouldn't agree with that though.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

CraigyDavi wrote:MustLoveCats, those are some good points. The 2 biggest things which I like about minetest is that it is open source and that minetest has a much friendlier community.
It is also easier (and possibly a bit less expensive) to create and run multiplayer servers.
You can run a minetest server on a VPS with 128MB RAM and 256MB swap, good luck running a Minecraft server on that.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

CraigyDavi
GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio
In-game: CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

sfan5 wrote:
CraigyDavi wrote:MustLoveCats, those are some good points. The 2 biggest things which I like about minetest is that it is open source and that minetest has a much friendlier community.
You can run a minetest server on a VPS with 128MB RAM and 256MB swap, good luck running a Minecraft server on that.
Fair enough. I still think that it requires quite a bit of technical knowledge to run a server.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

CraigyDavi wrote:
sfan5 wrote:

Fair enough. I still think that it requires quite a bit of technical knowledge to run a server.
What if I told you my 12 year old brother ran a server once?

It's not hard at all. Once you get the port forwarding done correctly, nothing is hard at all.

CitroPotter

by CitroPotter » Post

lolman wrote:in my opinion it did

Edit by sfan5:
Added a poll
It is better becuse its way super easy to make mads in int. lua
Hi!

ranta

by ranta » Post

i have played both minecraft and mintest and i will say minetest is much better especially considering the that when minecraft was on version 0.4 it was leagues behind were mintest is now

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

ranta wrote:i have played both minecraft and mintest and i will say minetest is much better especially considering the that when minecraft was on version 0.4 it was leagues behind were mintest is now
maybe that's cause we have a higher standard for what should increase the second point :P
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

ranta wrote:when minecraft was on version 0.4 it was leagues behind were mintest is now
Version numbers are arbitrary. Comparing the version numbers of two different projects is completely meaningless.

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

I wish I could say yes, but sadly it would be too early. However, I'm confident that Minetest WILL get better than Minecraft in a few years at most. If development keeps going forth with at least the current enthusiasm and energy, and stays open to various ideas and changes.

In my opinion, the main problem Minetest has which doesn't qualify it as good as Minecraft are players and Lua entities. Player animation and movement is still ugly and laggy. Lua entities also have a lot of problems, which make it difficult to integrate a good mob system or have mobs of quality. The world is also slow to load at times (causing invisible walls) as well as logins taking a lot on some servers due to texture caching (even with curl). There are other smaller problems too... such as lakes / oceans being full of holes due to cavegen (also causing broken water physics) or lack of a good in-game menu where you can change most settings in realtime (like shaders or graphical options).

Rotation interpolation is one awaited feature which would hide part of the lag, yet for some reason it didn't happen to this day. I also suggested (and plan to attempt coding) a movement buffer which would allow for smoother movement. I made a thread about that some time ago, but no one replied so far.

Conclusion: Without mobs and acceptably low lag with +30 players on a server, I believe Minetest can't even be considered fully stable and finished. Once those problems are all solved, Minetest will already be better than Minecraft, as being written in C++ rather than Java and having a Lua API is the main advantage. After RealBadAngel helps with hardware lighting too, and we'll be able to achieve graphics like those in Terasology, Minetest will be way over Minecraft in visual aspect as well.
Last edited by MirceaKitsune on Mon Mar 03, 2014 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

not to mention mineteest needs smoth nodebox lighting like in minetest-classic and minecraft because when say i have new_style_water = true in conf the water is not lighted properly when i have smooth lighting enabled and same with many other things

minermoder27
GitHub: ZNixian
In-game: minermoder27

by minermoder27 » Post

hoodedice wrote:
CraigyDavi wrote:
sfan5 wrote: You can run a minetest server on a VPS with 128MB RAM and 256MB swap, good luck running a Minecraft server on that.
What if I told you my 12 year old brother ran a server once?

It's not hard at all. Once you get the port forwarding done correctly, nothing is hard at all.
If you are using a VPS and have ssh access, and have set up $PATH correctly all it takes is one command to start the server:

Code: Select all

nohup minetestserver --gameid minetest --worldname world &
My best mods:
Buildtest

PeterPanda

Re: Did minetest get better than minecraft? comment your opi

by PeterPanda » Post

Ok, I am going to be blunt. The biggest thing that makes minetest better than minecraft is the community. Since theres nowhere near as many minetest players as there are minecraft players, everyone knows each other. That's why I adore minetest multiplayer. The other thing I like is how more realistic/simplistic it is. I mean, theres no zombie pig men who came from an underground hellish dimension running around trying to kill you with golden swords XD