Streaming minetest - would anyone watch?

JMR

Streaming minetest - would anyone watch?

by JMR » Post

Greetings miners,
I have been thinking about streaming minetest to my twitch channel: www.twitch.tv/jordanmrichards

But I am curious to know: Would anyone actually be interested in watching?

I will try to get the game minetest added on twitch, from there, it could boost the game's popularity depending on the quantity.

What I'd be thinking of streaming:
-Setting up a survival challenge in such a way that users in the chat can interact and help out.
- Featuring cool map challenges / cool new mods
-Building a project on a private server

If I'd go through with this, I'd build a dedicated website supporting the stream. Like I did for my SimCity ones: www.jordanrichards.com/simcity
Please reply with:
-Would you watch?
-Any suggestions

Thanks,
-JMR
Last edited by JMR on Mon Feb 03, 2014 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I think it is a good idea to record videos of Minetest. If you want your videos to be unique, give paramat's paragen mod a try:
viewtopic.php?id=6736
In order for the mod to replace the default mapgen, look at the post linked to below:
viewtopic.php?pid=125366#p125366

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Can't; Twitch streams can't be viewed without Flash Player or some sort of special Android or iOS application. It doesn't even work with Lightspark; I checked.

JMR

by JMR » Post

Inocudom wrote:I think it is a good idea to record videos of Minetest. If you want your videos to be unique, give paramat's paragen mod a try:
viewtopic.php?id=6736
In order for the mod to replace the default mapgen, look at the post linked to below:
viewtopic.php?pid=125366#p125366
It wouldn't really be video recording, it would be live-streaming. But I could upload the livestreams to youtube I suppose.
That mod sure does look interesting! Thanks for the suggestion.
onpon4 wrote:Can't; Twitch streams can't be viewed without Flash Player or some sort of special Android or iOS application. It doesn't even work with Lightspark; I checked.
Twitch has their own application for android and ios devices. Has quite a lot of bugs at the moment, but hey, it's still possible.

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

JMR wrote:
onpon4 wrote:Can't; Twitch streams can't be viewed without Flash Player or some sort of special Android or iOS application. It doesn't even work with Lightspark; I checked.
Twitch has their own application for android and ios devices. Has quite a lot of bugs at the moment, but hey, it's still possible.
Emphasis added. I'm not an Android or iOS user.

JMR

by JMR » Post

onpon4 wrote:
JMR wrote:
Right, sorry, misread that there, read it at 1am in the morning on tablet, then kept the reply till today. ^^

That is a real shame, twitch is probably the leading game livestreaming website of today. This is why I have chosen it. I will probably upload youtube videos of the streams after.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Judging by your avatar you use Gnash?

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

Heck no! Gnash is crap; pretty much nothing works with it. I don't use Flash at all. I do have Gnash and Lightspark installed, but they're disabled; I mostly have them so that the Flash Video Downloader can discover videos, for those video players that don't have HTML5 fallback (HTML5 fallback is actually pretty common now, so I don't need to use Lightspark this way often).

Most live video streams I'm not able to watch at all, because they depend on Flash crap and seem to do so purposefully. Sometimes (rarely) there's an RTSP link I can get to which VLC can stream (this is currently the case for Livestream, for example), and of course no special software is needed to view IceCast streams; so these are the types of video streams I'm able to watch.
Last edited by onpon4 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

JMR

by JMR » Post

I may be livestreaming minetest soon. Bar Inocudom's suggestion, anymore? :)

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

onpon4 wrote:blah blah I'm not able to watch at all, because they depend on Flash crap blah blah.
Oh God. Oh wait, you're athiest...

Oh great Linus Torvalds. No I'm not elevating him to the status of God, but meh.

Anyway. SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM THIS MADNESS!! You know what you're missing out on with no flash?

THIS

AND THIS.
onpon4 wrote:-snip-.
I KNOW. YOU USE A NOKIA PHONE! M$ SUPPORTER! HYPOCRITE!!
Last edited by hoodedice on Thu Feb 06, 2014 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

hoodedice wrote:Anyway. SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM THIS MADNESS!! You know what you're missing out on with no flash?

THIS

AND THIS.
Actually, the reason I don't get rickrolled is because I have ViewTube installed. :) ViewTube blocks YouTube's player and replaces it with a better one.
Last edited by onpon4 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

onpon4 wrote:
hoodedice wrote:Anyway. SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM THIS MADNESS!! You know what you're missing out on with no flash?

THIS

AND THIS.
Actually, the reason I don't get rickrolled is because I have ViewTube installed. :) ViewTube blocks YouTube's player and replaces it with a better one.
You didn't refute the thing about Nokia, so...
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build