Question: Infinite Lava

Jonathan

Question: Infinite Lava

by Jonathan » Post

Lava used to not be a finite source. Is there a line you can use in the minetest.conf file to make it infinite? I tried "liquid_finite = false" but that did not seem to work.
By perseverance the snail reached the ark.
- Charles Spurgeon

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Jonathan wrote:Lava used to not be a finite source. Is there a line you can use in the minetest.conf file to make it infinite? I tried "liquid_finite = false" but that did not seem to work.
No, by default it is finite. and I have no idea why.
Back from the dead!

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

Because if it were infinite then you would have an endless supply of of obsidian, and it would be nigh impossible to clear a lava cavern. If you wanted you could try writing a mod that act similar to the water source. Might even be able to take the water source code, and just change water source to lava source for the mod. Just an idea.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Last edited by rubenwardy on Mon Feb 10, 2014 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Jonathan

by Jonathan » Post

rubenwardy wrote:https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... s.lua#L558

Set to true.

There was big controversy about this.
Yea, I remember there was a big discussion about it. However, I thought they were going to add an option to easily configure it. I personally like having renewable lava (even though it is not realistic :P). Thanks for showing me how to change it. :)
Novacain wrote:Because if it were infinite then you would have an endless supply of of obsidian, and it would be nigh impossible to clear a lava cavern.
When digging a mine that hits a lava cavern I use sand to remove lava and for temporary walls to hold lava. lol.

Edit: Did not put right name to second quote.
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Feb 10, 2014 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
- Charles Spurgeon

CitroPotter

by CitroPotter » Post

Jonathan wrote:

Set to true.

Yea, I remember there was a big discussion about it. However, I thought they were going to add an option to easily configure it. I personally like having renewable lava (even though it is not realistic :P). Thanks for showing me how to change it. :)
Novacain wrote:Because if it were infinite then you would have an endless supply of of obsidian, and it would be nigh impossible to clear a lava cavern.
When digging a mine that hits a lava cavern I use sand to remove lava and for temporary walls to hold lava. lol.

I actually use gravel as its the best to waste gravel instead o sand.
Hi!

Jonathan

by Jonathan » Post

CitroPotter wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

Set to true.

I actually use gravel as its the best to waste gravel instead o sand.
Well, I prefer sand instead of gravel because you can pick up sand quicker than gravel (Some of the sand I will reuse after I have gotten rid of some of the lava). Also, I sometimes have more of a demand for gravel than sand for building projects.
- Charles Spurgeon

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Jonathan wrote:Well, I prefer sand instead of gravel because you can pick up sand quicker than gravel (Some of the sand I will reuse after I have gotten rid of some of the lava). Also, I sometimes have more of a demand for gravel than sand for building projects.
You get glass from sand. Is that included in that statement?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Jonathan

by Jonathan » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Well, I prefer sand instead of gravel because you can pick up sand quicker than gravel (Some of the sand I will reuse after I have gotten rid of some of the lava). Also, I sometimes have more of a demand for gravel than sand for building projects.
You get glass from sand. Is that included in that statement?
It is. I don't tend to use a lot of glass or sand. Gravel is what I typically use for walking paths (Which are two nodes wide) However, I just remembered that now you can make sandstone bricks, but that takes a while to get enough sand to make any significant structure (1 sandstone brick takes 16 sand nodes to make :P).
- Charles Spurgeon