Minetest Could Be An Educational Tool

dmonty

by dmonty » Post

sfan5 wrote:Heres the source code: https://github.com/sfan5/minetest-teaching
I've been testing this out for a while now. Haven't found any bugs yet.

Once the kids are back from spring break I may try to see if I can crowd source the intermediate grades to create some math maps for the primary grades. Create a server world and grant the older students teacher privs in order to create a math adventure map for the primary kids. If the kids can create some good math adventures then I'll try to make a way for the teachers to download and share the math-maps as per my thoughts above.

Thanks again sfan5!

dmonty

by dmonty » Post

init.lua line 192 is missing "D"

local s = 'ABCEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789'
local s = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789'

I love this teaching mod!

dmonty

by dmonty » Post

textures/teaching_lab_util_divide.png is a colon insetad of division Obelus symbol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelus

I've edited the image here.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

dmonty wrote:
init.lua line 192 is missing "D"

local s = 'ABCEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789'
local s = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789'

I love this teaching mod!
Thanks fixed that, I'm glad you like the mod!
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

dmonty wrote:...
Not sure if this forum should morph into a TODO Action list to track: done, in-development, todo.
Well for one thing I could imagine this subject could deserve an own top level thread parallel to "Feature discussions" and "Servers", or at least be made "sticky" ;-)

I'm not sure of the intended scope of the Wiki but I would think it a good idea to have some pages about the subject on the Minetest-Wiki. The Wiki-Rules state:
  • Articles must be related to Minetest.
  • Content from mods other than those in minetest_game is allowed, ...
So I could imagine a "Minetest as Educational Tool" portal with links to pages about setting up Minetest for classes in a public school environment. Some pages with examples how to organize the files on servers and how to connect clients on a LAN system. Keeping in mind of course this has to be written for people who are not really interested in computers as such and just want to get the "Minetest-Tool" working.

The bulk of pages the portal links to should of course be examples of subjects suitable fo lessons and other school related activity. These examples should also include links to the needed mods and maybe background material for the teachers.
Last edited by twoelk on Tue Mar 18, 2014 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

dgm5555

Re: Minetest Could Be An Educational Tool

by dgm5555 » Post

I just found this thread, and had been thinking of minetest as an educational tool for teaching maths (or many other things). My thoughts on it are on viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9171. (if anyone wants to move it to this thread, feel free)
Basically I envisaged a quest where you had to answer questions in order to get through doorways/open chests/sections of the map/ etc to complete. I know my daughter plays lots of maths games at school with this basic concept, and particularly loves the aspect of being in the same virtual environment as other classmates, so it's well proven in the classroom.
As I'm a poor programmer, on my own project so far my only progress is a piece of mesecon invisiwall which unblocks when a player gets close. Next task is to enable an unlock trigger (eg answering a question) and allow it to remember which players are allowed through (rather than just one).
sfan5 wrote:Here is a video of the mod I'm working on right now: https://mediacru.sh/ph_GCppPdO5C
I like the idea of sfan5's teaching game, but I dont think the system of placing named bricks to interact is very user-friendly. Note how you had to go back into the inventory just to get a number, and how much worse would it be with letters. If you wanted to use that system then more sensible would be a brick which could turn into another brick or sequence of bricks when you typed the correct letter/number (eg place brick, click to open dialog, enter "hello world" and all 5+_+5 bricks are placed in line for you.
Also not sure how you manage the interaction when multiple kids are in the same world, potentially trying to do the same questions, and thus putting blocks in each others way.

One thing the kids seem very keen on is skinning their characters so they can tell each other apart, so that could perhaps be a little slicker (I use the player_textures mod, but I can't see teachers renaming texture files (or even more unlikely downloading skins from websites or teaching the kids how to make their own on blender, which is basic once you know how, but steep if you don't).

Mesecons: viewtopic.php?id=628
Also don't forget mesecons as a learning tool - this provides the fundamentals of electrics and programming logic, and how many kids wouldn't have a fun learning session building various electronic projects in minetest.

I would also vote for creating an 'educational' board on the forum (or at the very least a sticky), this would dramatically increase the visibility as an educational tool, and therefore speed development along this route.

BTW for whoever mentioned using blender to create blocks. I created a post and its now on the wiki on how to use blender. I haven't done the section about animation yet though (cause I'm rubbish at it). However I would have thought that just creating faces for voxels in gimp (rather than meshes in blender) would be good enough for most tasks, and would take very little time per face.
David
Last edited by dgm5555 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

dgm5555 wrote: I would also vote for creating an 'educational' board on the forum (or at the very least a sticky), this would dramatically increase the visibility as an educational tool, and therefore speed development along this route.
I also vote for this.

I don't know if the mod linked to below could have any educational value, but kids might like it:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8777
It it still in development, but it seeks to have clothing behave like armor does.

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

Inocudom wrote:I don't know if the mod linked to below could have any educational value, but kids might like it:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8777
It it still in development, but it seeks to have clothing behave like armor does.
Clothing could also be part of the reward system as you progress on your quest - how many kids wouldn't be motivated by being able to find cloths/armour/etc and it would provide an obvious marker of progress to encourage some friendly competetion (eg I got a helmet/princess dress/etc for doing my entire 4 times table...)!

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Dunno, they tried teaching us about history by having us play age of empires, all we did was fuck around with cheat codes. Granted this was in the 90s, but I doubt kids are more mature today. I think schools already rely too much on gimmicks and technology at the expense of class size. Though if you're hellbent on doing this, you might want to start by redesigning crafting and resource tree so it reflects how things are really made so kids don't end up thinking you can tape a piece of coal to a stick to make a torch.

sfan5

Re:

by sfan5 » Post

dmonty wrote:textures/teaching_lab_util_divide.png is a colon insetad of division Obelus symbol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelus
In germany we usually use a : instead of an ÷ to indicate division.
dgm5555 wrote:
sfan5 wrote:Here is a video of the mod I'm working on right now: https://mediacru.sh/ph_GCppPdO5C
I like the idea of sfan5's teaching game, but I dont think the system of placing named bricks to interact is very user-friendly. Note how you had to go back into the inventory just to get a number, and how much worse would it be with letters.
This system is only supposed to be used for small things where you only need at most 5 different bricks.
I planned to modify the creative menu to make getting letters easier, it is also viable to give the player 9 different bricks (of which only e.g. 3 are needed) to solve the task. The second concept would avoid needing to go into the inventory again.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Hiradur

by Hiradur » Post

Just wanted to chip in as I thought about this topic as well. I'm not sure if bringing Minetest to classroom should be our main goal.
I don't think that Minetest can really help with the stuff that you learn in school. However, it has great potential of introducing or increasing interest in certain topics.
Our goal should be to introduce Minetest to as many kids as possible but not necessarily bring it to classrooms. If kids like the game and voluntarily spend time playing it they will probably learn much more than when playing it in school.

Things that I think Minetest offers (many have been mentioned alreay):

Basic skills:
- social interacting: working in a team, get to know other cultures online, improving communication skills
- orientation
- creativity

- resource management (if ores were more limited)
-> energy management with technic
- trading

- abstract problem solving
- digital logic
- programming (digilines controller, forth_computer mod, making mods, working on the engine)
- game logic
- chemistry
- other topics that we still need mods for (like quantum mechanics, a clone of Q-Craft for MC would be nice)

Many of these are technical and may increase interest in engineering for example.
What we need would be a trailer for Minetest that shows off these topics. Once that is done we could send letters containing the trailer to Departments of Education, briefly introducing them to the game and making the proposal that they show this trailer in schools along with some basic information.
This way only 15 minutes of precious school time are used but I guess that at least one kid in every classroom would become a Minetester.

Maybe someone who found interest in engineering through technic will discover a proper replacement for oil one day. Who knows...
dgm5555 wrote:One thing the kids seem very keen on is skinning their characters so they can tell each other apart, so that could perhaps be a little slicker (I use the player_textures mod, but I can't see teachers renaming texture files (or even more unlikely downloading skins from websites or teaching the kids how to make their own on blender, which is basic once you know how, but steep if you don't).
I made the player_hash_skins mod to solve this issue. It still can be improved and I hope to resume work on it soon.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

"social interacting" in minetestian terms translates to being a dick or just plain griefing. Not sure kids have much to learn from neckbeards on social interaction :P

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

mauvebic wrote:"social interacting" in minetestian terms translates to being a dick or just plain griefing. Not sure kids have much to learn from neckbeards on social interaction :P
Who said that kids learning from MT have anything to do with us?
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Hiradur wrote:- programming (digilines controller, forth_computer mod, making mods, working on the engine)
Most of the highlighted things are probably too hard for kids to do.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

hoodedice wrote:
mauvebic wrote:"social interacting" in minetestian terms translates to being a dick or just plain griefing. Not sure kids have much to learn from neckbeards on social interaction :P
True that it would be more age-appropriate for them to setup their own local server.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

mauvebic wrote:
hoodedice wrote:
True that it would be more age-appropriate for them to setup their own local server.

We are envisioning (I think) a local classroom server. And the teacher sets it up.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Still I don't see what is gained by having them play computer games at school, they barely learn enough as it is while they're there. Like when lazy teachers would plop us in front of a movie that's barely relevant to the subject matter.

Excalibur Zero
GitHub: ExcaliburZero

by Excalibur Zero » Post

mauvebic wrote:Still I don't see what is gained by having them play computer games at school, they barely learn enough as it is while they're there. Like when lazy teachers would plop us in front of a movie that's barely relevant to the subject matter.
Well it really depends on what they are trying to learn through using Minetest. If they are tyring to learn History, then it might not work so well. However if it is used to teach basic concepts like Math and Language, then it can be effective in helping them learn those topics easier if used properly.

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

I don't suppose there's an archeology mod, it would be quite cool to be able to dig up dinosaur bones when learning about dinosaurs and get an idea of how difficult it is for real archeologists. Perhaps if you found all the bits of bones they could puzzle them together to get a live dino in your world (which would probably eat or stamp on you). [Yeah I know very dubious educational value :-p]

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

If you want a realistic games use realtest. IIRC that is the right name. That game is about as close as you can get to real life.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

Thought about a potential educational game for doing times tables.
Start with an arbitrary number of layers of 12x12 blocks numbers textured with numbers from 0 to 144, which have an attached script which makes other touching blocks undiggable when it's been dug. Each is above the next by enough that if you fall you will injure yourself.
Signs at the side provide the questions. And fences or other decoration to prevent player falling to their death.
Script then randomly generates a multiplication question for each layer and puts a block halfway between the layers below the correct answer block.
Player then digs down through the block (which makes others undiggable) and has to jump down to the next layer to progress (either injuring themselves or not depending on answer.

An alternative would be to have a similar setup on flat ground where one has to dig for treasure (only found under the correct block). If you left it diggable, the score could be reduced by the number of destroyed blocks.

spin

by spin » Post

Hi all,
twoelk from irc linked me up to this thread, I think Minetest is a perfect tool to get kids into 3d printing. And I mean like totally uber awesome, it would let me as a teacher push the 3d printing entry age to 4-6 years from current 8 (which is hardcore as-is and requires a lot of supervision).

I'll post another thread with project description not to derail.

edit:
link to thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9923

rslite

by rslite » Post

I'm also interested in the educational potential. My daughter is all into MC and I would like to take advantage of this and possibly switch her to MT with educational mods.

What I'm envisioning would be regular play (for her time at home) with the option of doing math exercises (for example) in order to get resources. The exercises would appear in a form, where the answer is entered with the keyboard.

The other ideas presented here are also interesting - getting access to different areas by solving math problems. For example solving a set of problems would open a door to a "secret" area or an area with more resources (which could regenerate). The door would close again the next day so you would need to do a new set of exercises to open it. They could also get harder from day to day. There are many possibilities, but it should be something that would not take away from the game and would give a high enough reward for them...

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I am commenting on some of the concrete ideas on making Minetest an educational tool posted here.
It’s a bit old, but I comment anyways.

Fist something off-topic:
- Minecraft connects to Internet servers which may have inappropriate chat.
OMG!!! It connects to the INTERNET!! Where REAL PEOPLE are! Where people may say WEIRD STUFF!!! But who thinks about our children???
We have to shield all that children from the lands of anarchy, chaos and deaht!!

OK, now back to topic:
* Reading/Writing - teachers/students create signs with instructions on them.
Hell no!
This requires that you already can read and write. Especially handwriting can definitely NOT be learned by that.
Bad idea.

* Math - inventory and crafting requires counting blocks. Haggling trading prices with villagers and friends.
Nope. Both games are not going to teach that. You already have to know how to calculate shit to actually use that.

* Geometry - working with 3D blocs x,y,z
I agree that there can be made some use here. For example, to introduce into the cartesian coordinate system. Because Minetest’s world is a cube, this would work perfectly.
Maybe a few other basic geometry problems can be presented here, but overall I think the educational value here is rather limited. You are restricted to squares and cubes, and nodeboxes extend this to rectangles and cuboids but that’s it. Trianguar shapes only appear by accident and circles, ellipses and sphere are a complete taboo.
* Geography/Environment
- Worlds are huge - use maps, compass, sun, moon, to not get lost.
Yeah, sure! Using the moon for orientation works perfectly in real life!!!! ;-)
Also this does not take in account that Earth is sphere-like, not cube-like. And, and, and, …
And about maps: I think usage maps could be taught much better by actually going outside! ;-)
- North East South West - is very useful when going on long journeys and coming home again.
Oh, God. This is complete bogus and should NOT be taught like this.
The concepts of the four cardinal directions do not really apply to Minetest, actually.
Having a “North” and a “South” implies that you have two poles on a sphere. Where in the cube that makes the Minetest world are those two poles?? ;-)
This is a very faulty method to teach cardinal directions.

But this didn’t stop modders to create compasses anyways which are labelled that way. This may be OK for gameplay purposes but surely is NOT so for educatinal purposes, as it is completely misleading.

Actually, there is no North, East, South and West. What we have are simply left, right, front and back, but as absoulte directions, not relative. Hmmmm, why don’t those have names, by the way, like the cardinal directions?
To be consistent, “compasses” (compass imitations actually) should not be labelled with “N”, “W”, “S” and “E”, but with “+X”, “-X”, “+Z” and “-Z”.
- Layers of soil, rock, water, sand, minerals - observe how they interact with each other and plant life.
This could be actually a very good start, especially that layering thing.

It’s called MINEtest for a reason.
However, there are no real mods which reflect this well.

Even RealTest just introduces some ores (OK, a lot of them), but it is nowhere near of adding different layers of rock.
Far too many games basically only know one type of rock, which is “stone” and ores spawn according to the old cliché of “the deeper you dig, the more you find”. Pretty useless for educational purposes.

To be actualy useful to actually learn stuff about the real world, this requires a really good mapgen. One that accounts for different kinds of rock, for example metamorphic rock.
No known mapgen comes even CLOSE to that.
All we have is “Stone” and that’s basically it. Some mods introduce particular kinds of stone like “gneiss” but it really is totally unsystematic and even worse, they spawn like ores.
Also, most mapgens know really only one way to generate ores, that is, in clusters. That again is true for only a subset of minerals, veins are also pretty important, for example.

So a lot of work needs to be done on mapgens to be of ANY educational value. But more importantly, we have to teach OURSELVES first about stuff before we can validly have the audacity to claim that we can teach others with this game.

But it were implemented, there may be SOME use to that, because knowledge of geology basics can help you to find certain. If you know that MINERAL X only appears in STONE Y, you are basically forced to learn some basics.

Dwarf Fortess is of particular interest here, because it has a very sophisticated mapgen with a complex layer structure. Also, D

Since geology is not a trivial matter, to be of ANY educational value, it might be very useful to have some real experts on the matter on bord. For now, this also is not the case. At all. And I really don’t know jack about geology to be honest.

But about plant life: No, that does not really convince me. Even the most sophisticated plant mods are still very abstract when compared to the real world.
How is this supposed to teach even the most basic basics of biology?

* Social Skills - working together to accomplish a task:
- replicate a historical building/site/battle/etc.
- create and share a puzzle, maze, or adventure - requires reading, writing, communicating.
- Friendly villagers will trade with you for a cost/bargain.
- Manage scarce resources ( food, diamonds, tools, etc ).
… and learning how everything of this fails because of griefers. And that the “solution” for this is by locking everything down and creating a permission society. Great “social skills” you have. ;-(
OK, there may be some benefits here, but to be honest: I really can’t say anything about social skills, actually, because I don’t have many. xD

- Minetest - Mesecons & Technic - craft and solar panel to a charging station to charge cutting lasers, chain saws etc.
- Logic chips allow you program code and learn software concepts: variables, loops, condition statements, objects etc.
* Technology & Science
- built in logic, wiring, programming.
Well, THIS is the point which makes the most sense to me. Mesecons basically forces you to understand logic gates in order to fully use it. And for advanced stuff there are Lua controllers and even µC controllers, which can be a start into actual programming. And it makes completely sense: You learn how to program while sitting at a computer. Sure, why not?
And I haven’t looked into Digilines that much, but it sure sounds promising as well.

The potential here is surely HUGE.

HOWEVER, it should not be forgotten that Mesecons is purely based on logic. There are only two states, one and off. You can power a wire just by installing a NOT gate. So Mesecons should not be confused with actual electronics.

And I don’t think Technic is a good example for education, it stresses WAY to much on the “fiction” side of “science-fiction”.

I initally wrote about teaching and learning stuff. I probably want to write more here later, especially about the idea of using Minetest in schools.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

I beg to differ on your points about reading and writing Wuzzy;
I didnt like my son playing Minecraft/minetest all the time till I realized that he was improving in both areas.
He had no interest in reading and spelling till he started playing and had to know how to do both in order to play a fuller game.It sucks that wanting to play a video game is his motivation but right now I dont care because of his rate of improvement.
True, it doesnt help his handwriting very much, but at least his little scrawls are spelled properly :)

As far as chat goes,a mod to disable chat would be nice but would ruin the multiplayer game;
so for now I just monitor him as much as possible,..because yes we do have to shield our children
from internet weirdness till they are of an age to discern people's intentions and motivations.