Mob Showcasing

User avatar
Gambit
Member
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 19:31
Location: United States

Mob Showcasing

by Gambit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 23:51

Hello, this thread is for everyone to post ideas or concept art of mobs. The guides are simple... I hope.

• Post your original art of your ideal mob. (recommend you license it, but don't let peer pressure determine what license to select. You drew it, you choose.

• Have a description about your mob. What does it do? Is it hostile or friendly? Where do they roam? And so on.

• What inspired your idea? Was it from a dream, a movie, or book?

• Have fun.

That's about it, now for a word of caution:

• Do not expect these mobs to be utilized in Minetest.

• These are not mods, so no asking for downloads.

• No asking permission to use/dev the mobs. PM the creator for that.

_____________________________

The Titan

Image

A massive bison breed that towers the player's size. Despite its large build, the titan is a very humble creature that eats vegetations from grass to tree branches. Titans can be found in forest, grassy fields, and snow biomes. Their coat of fur helps them keep warm in cold climates. Its thick fur can also be harvest to make clothes, blankets, and other fabric materials.

Titans, as humble creatures as they are, can be very dangerous when they panic. They frighten easily and will run around unsure what to do, harming anyone in its way.

Artist Note: The Titan was a creature I had thought about for a long time now. Most mob ideas in the community never really thought of a massive teddy bear, so I had to. It is based off of Appa, from Avatar the Last Airbender. He doesn't fly obviously, but they share the similar laziness.
Last edited by Gambit on Sat Apr 26, 2014 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
 

OmniStudent
Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 06:40

Re: Mob Showcasing

by OmniStudent » Thu Apr 24, 2014 06:53

Looks great! Cool idea too. I'll try to come up with something myself.
 

User avatar
ZachyGames
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:14
Location: Youtube

Re: Mob Showcasing

by ZachyGames » Thu Apr 24, 2014 07:23

Death

Image

He gets mad always he sees a person he is not human he is bad and he often appears every time when a person die if you kill him you respawn but the second time you die you will respawn to a far far away place so you cannot pick up your items. Hes weakspot is nothing nothing at all.

Kind: Undead

Kills: Everyone

Kindness: Very Scary

Inspired By: Slenderman
 

User avatar
Calinou
Moderator
 
Posts: 3156
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 14:26
Location: Troyes, France
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Calinou » Thu Apr 24, 2014 07:41

If you're slapping a non-free license on it such as CC BY-NC-SA, don't expect anyone to seriously use it (too many potential issues).

If you're using a license which disallows derivatives, mods which implement these mobs cannot be published on this forum, per the mods forum guidelines.

PS: it's “piss off” and not “piss of”. I would also appreciate if you didn't demean other users here.
Last edited by Calinou on Thu Apr 24, 2014 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link
 

User avatar
Gambit
Member
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 19:31
Location: United States

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Gambit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 07:51

Calinou wrote:If you're slapping a non-free license on it such as CC BY-NC-SA, don't expect anyone to seriously use it.

If you're using a license which disallows derivatives, mods which implement these mobs cannot be published on this forum, per the mods forum guidelines.


That's fine by me. The purpose of this thread is to showcase the communities ideal mobs. Whether they hope for a dev to pick it up is up to them. I for one am not.
 

User avatar
hoodedice
Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 06:33
Location: world
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

Re: Mob Showcasing

by hoodedice » Thu Apr 24, 2014 08:29

Gambit wrote:
Calinou wrote:If you're slapping a non-free license on it such as CC BY-NC-SA, don't expect anyone to seriously use it.

If you're using a license which disallows derivatives, mods which implement these mobs cannot be published on this forum, per the mods forum guidelines.


That's fine by me. The purpose of this thread is to showcase the communities ideal mobs. Whether they hope for a dev to pick it up is up to them. I for one am not.



I would think the Titan would be too huge for the game. If you really did switch the concept to something that allows derivatives, I could work on it.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build
 

User avatar
Gambit
Member
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 19:31
Location: United States

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Gambit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 08:58

hoodedice wrote:
Gambit wrote:
Calinou wrote:If you're slapping a non-free license on it such as CC BY-NC-SA, don't expect anyone to seriously use it.

If you're using a license which disallows derivatives, mods which implement these mobs cannot be published on this forum, per the mods forum guidelines.


That's fine by me. The purpose of this thread is to showcase the communities ideal mobs. Whether they hope for a dev to pick it up is up to them. I for one am not.



I would think the Titan would be too huge for the game. If you really did switch the concept to something that allows derivatives, I could work on it.


I think it's more of the player really. I painted him too small. The player's height was really suppose to reach the Titan's nose.

Also the Titan concept is open to derivatives, it's the picture I painted that's licensed under CC, not the concept. I recommended people license the "picture" they've drawn. As an artist, nothing is more offending than taking the artwork they worked on and see it get chopped, recolored, etc. However, presenting it as an idea is a different story.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001
 

OmniStudent
Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 06:40

Re: Mob Showcasing

by OmniStudent » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:36

Behold the dread Poleoch!

Image
This is my first GIMP creation ever! My programming skills are only slightly better. I have a lot of skills, and I'm bad at all of them.
Image

Poleochs are segmented beings whose abilities depend on the blocks they are made up from.
They look like single-block pillars ranging in height from 1 to 15 or more, though the larger sizes are unlikely due to food limitations. Poleochs are born one block high, but have a chance of growing vertically every night depending on how much food they have gained. The kind of new block added depends on the environment and the segments already present.

Some examples of blocks:

Mouth block: gain food by eating, among other things, players.
Photosynthesis block: gain food by standing in the sun.
Head blocks: different kinds of head blocks modify behavior.
Digestion block: double food gained from food gathering blocks.
Legs block: legs, mobility.
Wings block: flying ability.
Arms block: increase damage.
Projectile block: shoot projectiles at enemies.
Decoration blocks: add bonuses and powers
etc. etc.

Beautifully illustrated above is a poleoch with (top to bottom):
Hostile Head
Flying ability
Digestion
Fanged mouth
Legs

I decided after making the illustration that it'd be cool if poleochs were wood/leather theme rather than colorful, kinda viking totem pole-looking. At distance, they can be mistaken for tree trunks.

Poleochs are usually stationary peaceful growers, but can turn into fearsome predators if they grow aggressive head blocks and mouth/weapon blocks. They emit pan flute like noises, normally in low tones.

I got this idea from totem poles and fasting for seven days. You can do WTFYW with it, but please ask my permission before using it for any kind of world conquest scheme.
Last edited by OmniStudent on Fri May 02, 2014 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
ZachyGames
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:14
Location: Youtube

Re: Mob Showcasing

by ZachyGames » Fri Apr 25, 2014 04:03

Water Dragon

Image

A Neutral mob he will fight if you hit him he will not fight if you not hit him. he get hurt if he goes on land or stone or lava or any kinds of things execpt water. He/She spawns on water there might be a baby one. He is neutral dont worry.

Inspired by: uhhhh..... i dont know i just drew it.

Kindness: Neutral

Kills: Everything that hits him
 

User avatar
Gambit
Member
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 19:31
Location: United States

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Gambit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 09:05

ZachyGames wrote:Water Dragon

Image

A Neutral mob he will fight if you hit him he will not fight if you not hit him. he get hurt if he goes on land or stone or lava or any kinds of things execpt water. He/She spawns on water there might be a baby one. He is neutral dont worry.

Inspired by: uhhhh..... i dont know i just drew it.

Kindness: Neutral

Kills: Everything that hits him


The way you paint your mobs gives them an almost mystical look. As if they've only been seen by a small few and even they could only provide vague description.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001
 

User avatar
Tom
Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 15:42
Location: France
IRC: Tom-s

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Tom » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:11

I wanted to resist – not posting – but there it is, I want to see these mobs in game ...
 

User avatar
ZachyGames
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:14
Location: Youtube

Re: Mob Showcasing

by ZachyGames » Sun Apr 27, 2014 00:38

Gambit wrote:
ZachyGames wrote:Water Dragon

Image

A Neutral mob he will fight if you hit him he will not fight if you not hit him. he get hurt if he goes on land or stone or lava or any kinds of things execpt water. He/She spawns on water there might be a baby one. He is neutral dont worry.

Inspired by: uhhhh..... i dont know i just drew it.

Kindness: Neutral

Kills: Everything that hits him


The way you paint your mobs gives them an almost mystical look. As if they've only been seen by a small few and even they could only provide vague description.


Wanna see how?

Image
 

OmniStudent
Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 06:40

Re: Mob Showcasing

by OmniStudent » Sun Apr 27, 2014 07:30

Reviews:

The titan
Illustration: Great!, both technically and mood-wise.
Game world feeling: Looks and behavior fit well into the "feel" of Minetest.
Game play: Trepidation of stampedes will keep players on their toes. By forcing the player to be watchful when around Titans, game immersion is increased.

Death
Illustration: Very scary, but breaks visual theme. But the general structure is great and would look very scary even in lower resolution.
Game world feeling: Yes, these would fit as monsters you have to be scared of even late in the game.
Game play: Can't work out if the lack of special features is a feature (its just Death and scary, nuff said) or a bug (can be fought using the same button sequence as every other mob).

Poleoch
(my own contribution)

Illustration: Terrible! Actually decreases the impression of the whole thread! Still, illustrated posts are always more fun than unillustrated ones.
Game world feeling: Of course I think Poleochs integrate perfectly into Minetest. But they are quite absurd as creatures and some people want a more realistic feel.
Game play: Players will have to study Poleoch looks before they decide their tactics, and knowledge and experience with different types of blocks will pay off. Makes use of game mechanics inherent to Minetest. Takes a lot of programming.

Water Dragon

Illustration: Having a creature that looks "blurred" is a pretty cool idea, but it would take programming skillx.
Game world feeling: I think it would fit great.
Game play: Nothing special here.
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 5859
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Mob Showcasing

by rubenwardy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 18:22

Calinou wrote:If you're slapping a non-free license on it such as CC BY-NC-SA, don't expect anyone to seriously use it (too many potential issues).

If you're using a license which disallows derivatives, mods which implement these mobs cannot be published on this forum, per the mods forum guidelines.

PS: it's “piss off” and not “piss of”. I would also appreciate if you didn't demean other users here.


The license only applies to the art. Anyone can use the idea.

You can't copyright ideas.
 

User avatar
Excalibur Zero
Member
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 19:45
Location: United States
GitHub: ExcaliburZero

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Excalibur Zero » Sun Apr 27, 2014 20:08

ZachyGames wrote:Water Dragon

Image

A Neutral mob he will fight if you hit him he will not fight if you not hit him. he get hurt if he goes on land or stone or lava or any kinds of things execpt water. He/She spawns on water there might be a baby one. He is neutral dont worry.

Inspired by: uhhhh..... i dont know i just drew it.

Kindness: Neutral

Kills: Everything that hits him

I tried to put together a 3D model of the Water Dragon, you can see it here:

Image

What do you think of it?
 

User avatar
ZachyGames
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:14
Location: Youtube

Re: Mob Showcasing

by ZachyGames » Mon Apr 28, 2014 00:14

Excalibur Zero wrote:I tried to put together a 3D model of the Water Dragon, you can see it here:

Image

What do you think of it?


Uhhhh.... AWESOME!!!!

How did you do that? Blender? Cool.... WOW IM GOING TO DOWNLOAD BLENDER NOW! But still its funny someone think blender is blender (in real life)
 

User avatar
Evergreen
Member
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:22
Location: A forest in the midwest
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Evergreen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 00:31

ZachyGames wrote:
Excalibur Zero wrote:I tried to put together a 3D model of the Water Dragon, you can see it here:

Image

What do you think of it?


Uhhhh.... AWESOME!!!!

How did you do that? Blender? Cool.... WOW IM GOING TO DOWNLOAD BLENDER NOW! But still its funny someone think blender is blender (in real life)
Blender takes some getting used to. Don't expect to just be able to do anything you want right of the bat. :P (unless you are experienced in another 3d modeler which I doubt)
 

User avatar
Excalibur Zero
Member
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 19:45
Location: United States
GitHub: ExcaliburZero

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Excalibur Zero » Mon Apr 28, 2014 00:33

ZachyGames wrote:
Excalibur Zero wrote:I tried to put together a 3D model of the Water Dragon, you can see it here:

Image

What do you think of it?


Uhhhh.... AWESOME!!!!

How did you do that? Blender? Cool.... WOW IM GOING TO DOWNLOAD BLENDER NOW! But still its funny someone think blender is blender (in real life)

Yep, I used Blender to make it. Here are all the files for it with the render: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tignpzy49nclzcp/Minetest_Water_Dragon.zip

If you are trying to learn how to use blender to make mobs for Minetest you may also want to read this topic: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9068
 

OmniStudent
Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 06:40

Re: Mob Showcasing

by OmniStudent » Mon Apr 28, 2014 05:18

Great model! And thanks for the links.
 

Sokomine
Member
 
Posts: 3886
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 17:31
GitHub: Sokomine

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Sokomine » Mon Apr 28, 2014 14:03

If you're good at blender: I'm still looking for a goat to roam the Minetest world. There are sheep everywhere - take a mob mod, it got sheep as wool providers - but goats would be far happier creatures than sheep in that blocky Minetest world with its height differences. Plus goats rely less on herds than sheep. Perhaps together with nice animations (jumping, eating, sleeping...) and texture(s?), they could be a great animal. They could also provide milk - without the problems cows have (they're too large to turn on the spot, take up a lot of space...).

As for the water dragon: Give him a nice animation :-)
 

User avatar
philipbenr
Member
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 01:56
Location: United States
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Re: Mob Showcasing

by philipbenr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 14:11

rubenwardy wrote:You can't copyright ideas.


Heh, Minecraft would have done that a loooooooong time ago if so. ;P
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 5859
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Mob Showcasing

by rubenwardy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 16:53

philipbenr wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:You can't copyright ideas.


Heh, Minecraft would have done that a loooooooong time ago if so. ;P


If you could copyright ideas, Minecraft would not need to do anything. Copyright is automatic.
 

User avatar
Linxx
Member
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 00:37

Re: Mob Showcasing

by Linxx » Mon Apr 28, 2014 16:59

Sokomine wrote:If you're good at blender: I'm still looking for a goat to roam the Minetest world. There are sheep everywhere - take a mob mod, it got sheep as wool providers - but goats would be far happier creatures than sheep in that blocky Minetest world with its height differences. Plus goats rely less on herds than sheep. Perhaps together with nice animations (jumping, eating, sleeping...) and texture(s?), they could be a great animal. They could also provide milk - without the problems cows have (they're too large to turn on the spot, take up a lot of space...).

As for the water dragon: Give him a nice animation :-)

also taming them would make them defend you from other mobs an all in one mob provides food and protection XD
 

User avatar
lightonflux
Member
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 07:22
Location: Germany
In-game: lof

Re: Mob Showcasing

by lightonflux » Mon Apr 28, 2014 19:00

Image

Would be nice for a medium boss, but think of a little version as your pet…!

The tamed wolf has code for following the user, but it has some placement issues (wolf blocks your way etc)
 

OmniStudent
Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 06:40

Re: Mob Showcasing

by OmniStudent » Mon Apr 28, 2014 19:08

Linxx wrote:
Sokomine wrote:If you're good at blender: I'm still looking for a goat to roam the Minetest world. There are sheep everywhere - take a mob mod, it got sheep as wool providers - but goats would be far happier creatures than sheep in that blocky Minetest world with its height differences. Plus goats rely less on herds than sheep. Perhaps together with nice animations (jumping, eating, sleeping...) and texture(s?), they could be a great animal. They could also provide milk - without the problems cows have (they're too large to turn on the spot, take up a lot of space...).

As for the water dragon: Give him a nice animation :-)

also taming them would make them defend you from other mobs an all in one mob provides food and protection XD


I'm a bit grudgy today, but don't guys you think that people with skills also have ideas of their own? Stuff that they would rather do instead of implementing your fancies?
 

Next

Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], TenPlus1 and 19 guests