Modders: Give feedback to the core developers

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

Modders: Give feedback to the core developers

by Casimir » Post

Modders: Give feedback to the core developers (including me)
  • Modders mean those who make subgames or individual mods.
  • The engine's purpose is largely to provide a good platform for the content that runs on it, be it subgames or individual mods, and one of the first steps in figuring out what features to add is to hear about what modders would imagine having use for.
From celeron's roadmap.

If no one else does I'd like to start:
For modding I don't know of many features to be added, instead it would offer much more freedom if more engine side definitions and behaviors could be changed. As an example, at the moment it is only possible with ugly hacks to determine when a player ate something. An option to disable drowning would be nice, overriding all liquids to "drowning = 0" feels wrong and does not work for mods loaded afterwards. For almost everything an option to disable it would be usefull, both for subgames and for server. A server on small hardware could just disable mapgen, one thats gets spamed often could disable doping of items.
Being able to tweak everything might not be obviously useful for every detail, but in special cases someone will find a perfect use for it. For my subgame it would be perfect if I could set the number of items the middle click takes/places to nine. The thing is, the more variety the engine offers the more different mods and subgames there will be.
Especially for node definitions I think that every small extra option results in an exponential more freedom for modders.

For subgames there is an issue the modders them selfs have to address. All the "old" mods are written for minetest_game. And with the first release that will contain serveral subgames many mods will occur which will only work for some special games.
I think there should be some kind of standardization and consensus on how to name mods in the subgame (e.g. only use "default" when it share many content with the "default" of minetest_game), and whether minetest_game should be the reference or something else.

@celeron
"The other logical extension [beside VAE] is making things buildable in finer detail"
In fact, when the VAE would be scalable then it could be possible to do that. You could create a voxel area that is the total size of one node but contains 8x8x8 nodes in itself. Or did I misunderstood the concept?

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

Re: Modders: Give feedback to the core developers

by celeron55 » Post

Casimir wrote: @celeron
"The other logical extension [beside VAE] is making things buildable in finer detail"
In fact, when the VAE would be scalable then it could be possible to do that. You could create a voxel area that is the total size of one node but contains 8x8x8 nodes in itself. Or did I misunderstood the concept?
I don't intend to enable scaling of VAEs, and what you said would be insanely resource hungry if it was possible. Well, I guess some people will insist on using it anyway, whatever. But doing that will for sure create problems that won't be solved.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Thanks Casimir for starting.

When I read celeron55's post something I encountered came back into my mind. Afaik ABM's keep going once put on. If that's really true (not my lack of knowledge), I would like to see the possibilities to shut them off and on later in the game, after meeting a condition, paired with the computers internal clock or connected with the minetest-time.

Edit: Typo.

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Topywo wrote:Thanks Casimir for starting.

When I read celeron55's post something I encountered came back into my mind. Afaik ABM's keep going once put on. If that's really true (not my lack of knowledge), I would like to see the possibilities to shut them off and on later in the game, after meeting a condition, paired with the computers internal clock or connected with the minetest-time.

Edit: Typo.
+1000
That would be awesome!

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Yes, it is true that abm's continue to execute as long as the node is in existence. However, it is possible to have a slightly hacky way around it. Either have the abm start with a logic statement asking if a condition is met, and break otherwise, or just replace the node at the end of the abm to shut it off completely.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:Yes, it is true that abm's continue to execute as long as the node is in existence. However, it is possible to have a slightly hacky way around it. Either have the abm start with a logic statement asking if a condition is met, and break otherwise, or just replace the node at the end of the abm to shut it off completely.
Okay, thanks, I wasn't 100% sure. But then after starting the ABM will be 'unstoppable'. Shutting the ABM off by replacing the node is indeed very helpful. After paining my brain I used it in the sea-modpack.

So theoretically you could start a new ABM by packing your mod with ABM's and different conditions, combined with replacing the 'triggers'.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

It would take about 5 minutes to fix this food eat thing you suggest. I can do it tomorrow.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Tobunchies
In-game: Tobunchies

by Tobunchies » Post

rubenwardy wrote:It would take about 5 minutes to fix this food eat thing you suggest. I can do it tomorrow.
That would be nice.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Topywo wrote:I would like to see the possibilities to shut them (edit:ABM's) off and on later in the game, after meeting a condition, paired with the computers internal clock or connected with the minetest-time.
Some more ABM related wishes and again I'm not sure if it's a lack of knowledge or really not possible atm:

- If I would have been able to, I would have used sometimes negative comparisons for the neighbors, something like:
neighbors = ! {"group:cracky} or neigbors = not {"default:glass"} or
notneighbours = { }

- AfaIk neighbors work for every 1 node around the specified node. Is it possibble to:
1. extend the range (with 1, 2 or whatever a modder would need)
2. give it more detail, like x neighbors, y neighbors and z neighbors (and a possibility to extend the range)

I think that there are workarounds possible for those wishes, like HeroOfTheWinds mentioned earlier, but they result for me in too much code.

Edit: Typo and something I thought of later.
Last edited by Topywo on Sun Apr 27, 2014 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

spillz

by spillz » Post

Per celeron55's list, I urgently would like to see someone implement the threading model for lua based mapgens. The current approach lags too much once you get more than a few people moving in different directions on games that use lua mapgen.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I would like to see an option that would make it so name tags do not show through nodes, that would make it possible for people to hide.

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

BrandonReese wrote:I would like to see an option that would make it so name tags do not show through nodes, that would make it possible for people to hide.
No, I wouldn't like that :P But some kind of "hide my online status" would be interesting ;)

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:
BrandonReese wrote:I would like to see an option that would make it so name tags do not show through nodes, that would make it possible for people to hide.
No, I wouldn't like that :P But some kind of "hide my online status" would be interesting ;)
That's why it would be an option. I think it should be a server option. It's necessary for survival pvp servers.

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

BrandonReese wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote:
That's why it would be an option. I think it should be a server option. It's necessary for survival pvp servers.
I think you can disable name tags completely in minetest.conf...

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Ah, I see a little game of "hide and seek" here or add a customized version of the banhammer and some sort of safe-area mod and you get some "catch me if you can" or "clippo" or whatever name these simple games have.
That might be even fun to use in some school project to have some first training of moving the character in the game.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Hello profile reader

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Finally! Thank you.
Now that this wish was granted I'm 100% satisfied.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Casimir wrote:Finally! Thank you.
Now that this wish was granted I'm 100% satisfied.
You are welcome. It didn't take that long, as expected.

Hello profile reader

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

minetest.register_on_dieplayer ought to pass on what exactly killed the player.

The already suggested option to disable/rewrite an existing abm would also be nice.

As far as mods are concerned, most of them need the actual nodes/craftitems etc. from minetest_game. New things are crafted from exsisting ones - there has to be some common base (not each mod wants to spawn its own materials). It helps if this base is larger (flowers, dye, wool, vessels, buckets, stairs, ..). Perhaps new subgames ought to supply compatibility mods for such situations.

Pavel_S

by Pavel_S » Post

I spent a lot of time to add showformspec_callback(in lua actually) and there are some ways like it made stu but this method need to name all entities.
Entity show formspec callback would be a nice feature for Helicopter, Cars, NPC and Meshnode mods.

Also get_id() function will make easy to create entity inventory.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:I think you can disable name tags completely in minetest.conf...
No, you can only hide them if they are far away.

webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Calinou wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote:I think you can disable name tags completely in minetest.conf...
No, you can only hide them if they are far away.
But how is far away defined?

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

I think it is ~50 blocks.

spillz

by spillz » Post

Amaz wrote:I think it is ~50 blocks.
The sounds like low hanging fruit that could (and should) be easily fixed.

A different issue: with the alternative minetest games it isn't clear what map generation each is compatible with. It would be a good with if the game could specify which mapgen it is compatible with and the new world creator dialogs showed only those generators in the drop down selector.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

spillz wrote:
Amaz wrote:I think it is ~50 blocks.
The sounds like low hanging fruit that could (and should) be easily fixed.

A different issue: with the alternative minetest games it isn't clear what map generation each is compatible with. It would be a good with if the game could specify which mapgen it is compatible with and the new world creator dialogs showed only those generators in the drop down selector.
I believe lua mapgens can override your selection in the create dialog

Code: Select all

minetest.set_mapgen_params({mgname="singlenode", flags="nolight"})