Wondering...

User avatar
Johnyknowhow
Member
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:17
Location: Washington, USA
In-game: Minetestian

Wondering...

by Johnyknowhow » Thu May 08, 2014 23:25

I wonder if someone will ever make a hacked MT client...
Not that I want one.
 

User avatar
Evergreen
Member
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:22
Location: A forest in the midwest
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

Re: Wondering...

by Evergreen » Thu May 08, 2014 23:58

Johnyknowhow wrote:I wonder if someone will ever make a hacked MT client...
Not that I want one.

Eh...
I don't even know what to say.
 

User avatar
Johnyknowhow
Member
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:17
Location: Washington, USA
In-game: Minetestian

Re: Wondering...

by Johnyknowhow » Fri May 09, 2014 01:16

I'm just thinking it happened to MC, so it might as well happen to us.
 

User avatar
Evergreen
Member
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:22
Location: A forest in the midwest
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

Re: Wondering...

by Evergreen » Fri May 09, 2014 01:47

Johnyknowhow wrote:I'm just thinking it happened to MC, so it might as well happen to us.

It's open source. There is no reason to "hack" the client anyway.
 

Sokomine
Member
 
Posts: 3886
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 17:31
GitHub: Sokomine

Re: Wondering...

by Sokomine » Fri May 09, 2014 02:09

Usually, "hacked client" on Minetest servers refers to clients which allow the players to use privs they usually don't have (especially fly and noclip). There might also be other, smaller differences. I modify my client in such a way that a particular "patch" I dislike a lot does not take effect and the client behaves like it did before - namely that you can place blocks where you're standing.
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 5862
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Wondering...

by rubenwardy » Fri May 09, 2014 07:40

It is incredibly easy to make a 'hacked' client. If you can't make one, you don't deserve one.

In a 'hacked' client you can fly and noclip, as these are handled by the client. You can't control the server, unless you find a vulnerability.
 

User avatar
Krock
Developer
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:48
Location: Switzerland
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Wondering...

by Krock » Fri May 09, 2014 11:38

Anti cheat feature must get better developed.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>
 

CWz
Member
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 17:01
Location: Banana Land
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

Re: Wondering...

by CWz » Fri May 09, 2014 17:13

Personally, I don't understand why admins make such a big deal out of these fly hacks. cheating in a multiplayers server obnoxious, but there's no reason to go ballistic over it . I saw a few players using fly hacks on the redcrab server and i see no issues with that since it is clearly creative.
 

User avatar
Johnyknowhow
Member
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:17
Location: Washington, USA
In-game: Minetestian

Re: Wondering...

by Johnyknowhow » Fri May 09, 2014 21:03

CWz wrote:Personally, I don't understand why admins make such a big deal out of these fly hacks. cheating in a multiplayers server obnoxious, but there's no reason to go ballistic over it . I saw a few players using fly hacks on the redcrab server and i see no issues with that since it is clearly creative.

Exactly.
 

Sokomine
Member
 
Posts: 3886
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 17:31
GitHub: Sokomine

Re: Wondering...

by Sokomine » Fri May 09, 2014 21:54

I don't see any real problems here either. Might be diffrent for survival-orientated servers, but for others, it does not really matter much.
 

cheapie
Member
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 00:59
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

Re: Wondering...

by cheapie » Wed May 14, 2014 11:29

I did manage to make a client that gave me fly, fast, and noclip, as well as lighting everything up. I didn't really cheat with it, though, and I don't have it any more.

There's also the security problem I found, but VanessaE already talked to the devs about it, and I don't really want to say any more about it here.
 

User avatar
jbb
Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 17:16
GitHub: JBBgameich
IRC: JBB
In-game: JBB

Re: Wondering...

by jbb » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:15

Iv got a player on my survival server hwo plays with a hacked client. He real can fly and run fast. I dont want this on my survival server, so if somebody knows how to solve this problem, please write it here. Probably a change in the engine wich checks if people are far away from the ground? Or a certificate for real clients?
Minetest runs better on Linux. So I'm using Linux.
 

User avatar
benrob0329
Member
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 22:39
Location: Michigan
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

Re: Wondering...

by benrob0329 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 18:23

You should make sure they don't have the fly priv, and if they don't then perhaps banning them after a warning would be good.

If you break the rules you have to live with the consequences.
Social: YouTube Peertube Matrix Room: #minetest:matrix.org | Games: The Infinite IKEA
 

User avatar
firefox
Member
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 07:34
Location: Xanadu
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: Wondering...

by firefox » Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:58

jbb wrote:Iv got a player on my survival server hwo plays with a hacked client. He real can fly and run fast. I dont want this on my survival server, so if somebody knows how to solve this problem, please write it here. Probably a change in the engine wich checks if people are far away from the ground? Or a certificate for real clients?
benrob0329 wrote:You should make sure they don't have the fly priv, and if they don't then perhaps banning them after a warning would be good.

If you break the rules you have to live with the consequences.

happened last year on xanadu :)

it was a big discussion about the rules and stuff.
the hacker argued that there was no rule that forbids flying.
reason: why should we make rules about features that don't exist? it's like having a "no pooping" rule.
you can't poop in mimetest, so there is no reason to forbid it.
then it went the usual way: swearing towards the admins -> forever banned :P

problem solved, that's how you do it ;)
building inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15550 --- my game: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15860 --- =(^.^)= nyan~
 

cheapie
Member
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 00:59
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

Re: Wondering...

by cheapie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 19:47

firefox wrote:happened last year on xanadu :)

it was a big discussion about the rules and stuff.
the hacker argued that there was no rule that forbids flying.
reason: why should we make rules about features that don't exist? it's like having a "no pooping" rule.
you can't poop in mimetest, so there is no reason to forbid it.
then it went the usual way: swearing towards the admins -> forever banned :P

problem solved, that's how you do it ;)


I'd think a "no cheating" or similar rule would cover that.
 

Dragonop
Member
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:59
Location: Argentina
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop
 

User avatar
lisacvuk
Member
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:52
Location: Serbia, Užice
GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

Re: Wondering...

by lisacvuk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 17:26

It is way too easy to make your client not check your privs. You can fool players into giving you stuff just by flying and saying you are a member of staff. I mean, it is only 1 number.
It's lisac, not lisa.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
Administrator on Craig's server. Minetest player.
"The enemy pales when they see the face of Dazzle!" ~ Dazzle obviously.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks
I appreciate donations in TF2 items. :)
 

User avatar
afflatus
Member
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 19:47
Location: Avalonia
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

Re: Wondering...

by afflatus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 16:51

Running a hacked client on a survival server does actually spoil the game for everyone else. Also it tends to come with this "nya you can't stop me" attitude. Which is fortunately incorrect.

If anyone has any great ideas how to make it even more boring for them, I'm all ears.
Grailtest is dreaming ...
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5371
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: Wondering...

by MineYoshi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 20:29

I think @Johnyknowhow only was asking If someone did a hacked MT client...
 

User avatar
Hybrid Dog
Member
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46

Re: Wondering...

by Hybrid Dog » Fri Mar 25, 2016 23:03

Johnyknowhow, there are the code changes for a few hacks

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪
 


Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests