[CLOSED/SOLVED]

Tedypig
IRC: Piggybear87
In-game: Piggybear

[CLOSED/SOLVED]

by Tedypig » Post

Well, I wanted Linux on my computer... Ubuntu didn't work, nor did Mint... I finally found one that works on my WAY OLD desktop, and that was Puppy. I like it so far... But why is there no new Minetest versions for it? The latest is for 0.4.6. Can someone please make a 0.4.9 for puppy?

EDIT: Or can someone tell my how to download/compile/whatever(I'm new to Linux)? I want to see if it will play on my my "new" dumpster found computer. Lol.
Last edited by Tedypig on Mon Jun 09, 2014 19:22, edited 3 times in total.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

Re: So yeah...

by Evergreen » Post

Tedypig wrote:Well, I wanted Linux on my computer... Ubuntu didn't work, nor did Mint... I finally found one that works on my WAY OLD desktop, and that was Puppy. I like it so far... But why is there no new Minetest versions for it? The latest is for 0.4.6. Can someone please make a 0.4.9 for puppy?

EDIT: Or can someone tell my how to download/compile/whatever(I'm new to Linux)? I want to see if it will play on my my "new" dumpster found computer. Lol.
First you need to install these libraries:

Code: Select all

build-essential libirrlicht-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libfreetype6-dev git
Then do the following in the terminal: (exclude the $ sign of course)

Code: Select all

$ git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git
$ cd minetest/games
$ git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git
$ cd ..
$ cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1
$ make
The just do ~/path_to_minetest/minetest/bin/minetest to run it.

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

Thank you.... But.... Like I said, I'm new to Linux, I have no idea how to do any of that. Any way I can get a broke down, step by step explanation? Like, I don't know how to install the libraries, and I can't copy/paste the stuff for the terminal (in my case "console")...

EDIT: OK, I've found pkgs.org, and it's not looking good. The first two items in the libraries I was told to get are there.... BUT! None for Puppy Linux. I may be effed...

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

Tedypig wrote:Thank you.... But.... Like I said, I'm new to Linux, I have no idea how to do any of that. Any way I can get a broke down, step by step explanation? Like, I don't know how to install the libraries, and I can't copy/paste the stuff for the terminal (in my case "console")...

EDIT: OK, I've found pkgs.org, and it's not looking good. The first two items in the libraries I was told to get are there.... BUT! None for Puppy Linux. I may be effed...
ima try pupy linux in a vm and attemmt to compile minetest

well i think i know how but not easy

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

OK, cool. Let me know. I know it's not going to work on my machine because it's a dumpster build, but it will be fun to try... It's a Pentium 4 2.70 GHZ single core with 768 Mb of DDR running Puppy Linux. With Ubuntu, I open a window, say settings, and it take about 15 seconds for it to show up and like 10 for it to go away. I'm just curious how true the saying "It has very low system requirements, and works well even in old PCs" is. Lol.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Have you tried Lubuntu ? that's what I run on my old Compaq laptop with 1.6ghz single-core processor and intel gfx and 512mb memory, and Minetest runs fine...

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Puppy is generally not made for durable installs. Consider using something like Lubuntu instead.

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

OK.... This is a lot of work! I just installed the newest Lubuntu, and it actually works really well on my computer. NOW!... How do I do this? I think I get the Terminal portion.....maybe.... but where do I get the libraries?

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

Nevermind. I have it. It runs at 9-15 FPS in fullscreen. Not bad.... I'm used to 60, but it will do. Lol. Now I have a problem though. The sky is black, the clouds are still white.

Sorry, I don't know how to use the spoiler/screenshot tags.

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

Also, where the heck are the files for Minetest? I want to add mods, but I can't find the folders.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Tedypig wrote:Also, where the heck are the files for Minetest? I want to add mods, but I can't find the folders.
Did you compile it the way the README says to?

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

I just went to Lubuntu Software Center and serched Minetest and installed it from there. And I found more "bugs" if you will. Modstore and clicking "public server list" both crash the game.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Tedypig wrote:I just went to Lubuntu Software Center and serched Minetest and installed it from there. And I found more "bugs" if you will. Modstore and clicking "public server list" both crash the game.
Modstore is broken, don't use it. It's also probably an older version, so those (might) have been fixed already.

Topywo

Re: Request: Minetest 0.4.9 for Puppy Linux

by Topywo » Post

I use Lubuntu. For me the instructions under "Compiling on GNU/Linux:" are the easiest way to instal minetest-dev - https://github.com/minetest/minetest - then scroll down.

For the libraries I need to type sudo before I copy/paste the "apt-get ... " part

Then it's just copy/pasting except the cd minetest-minetest-286edd4 (or similar) part. At that point I check my File Manager to see what number/letters I need to use instead of 286edd4.

I exit the terminal after the cmake part and start minetest from folder in my File Manager.

Installing mods:

For the minetest-dev I put them here: /home/topywo/minetest-minetest-6f511b1/mods

Minetest is globally installed from the Software center. According to the wiki the mods are then placed here:
~/.minetest/mods/

My recommendation is to uninstall the Software center minetest first and then build/compile the minetest-dev version. Whenever it gets to old, it's very easy to build a new latest version of minetest and then drag favorite mods or old worlds to that one. It's not necessary to delete you 'old' minetest. After renaming them, you can even have more minetests (one to play on servers, one for trying out mods etc.).

Deleting older minetests is as easy as deleting that folder. When something goes wrong building the minetest-dev it's also very easy do delete everything and try again.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

You can speed up Minetest by UNTICKING all of the items in the Settings tab and keeping only Opaque Water ticked... also you can add the following lines to your minetest.conf file for a little more performance also:

enable_rollback_recording = false
num_emerge_threads = 2
vsync = true
pause_fps_max = 15
enable_clouds = false
enable_fog = false
debug_log_level = 0
disable_anticheat = true
active_block_range = 1

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:enable_rollback_recording = false
This is set to false by default already.
TenPlus1 wrote:num_emerge_threads = 2
This might or might not gain you some speed.
TenPlus1 wrote:vsync = true
This does not have an effect on performance.
TenPlus1 wrote:disable_anticheat = true
This setting is ok for singleplayer but this really should not be set to true on a multiplayer server.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

Ok, in order....

Evergreen: Thank you, and no. It installed the newest dev version.

Topywo: Thank you. I will try that later.

TenPlus1: I did all of that.

sfan5: You are right. I didn't get any performance increases.

Also, kaeza, please read the rest of the post. I no longer need 0.4.9 for Puppy, I got Lubuntu and Minetest is working (for the most part). Therefor it doesn't need to be re-titled. Thank you though. Lol.

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

I'm finding this too hard. I guess I can't play Minetest until I get a new computer... Why can't there just be a .zip like there is for Windows? It would help people that don't know the ins and outs of Linux...

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

OK, I think I got it. Will I have to redo all of this when 0.5.0 comes out?

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Tedypig wrote:Also, kaeza, please read the rest of the post. I no longer need 0.4.9 for Puppy, I got Lubuntu and Minetest is working (for the most part). Therefor it doesn't need to be re-titled. Thank you though. Lol.
It would be appreciated if you used that little "Edit" button to give your topic a descriptive title, or better yet, use a proper title from the start ("So yeah..." isn't exactly descriptive).

This is offtopic for this discussion. Please continue by PM if needed.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

Re: Tedypig's General Discussion about being new to Linux

by Hybrid Dog » Post

̣
Last edited by Hybrid Dog on Thu May 22, 2014 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

Hybrid Dog, I cannot use Ubuntu 10.04, when I threw this computer together I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and my machine lagged horribly. I found Puppy Linux and it worked great, but would only play as a live cd, and wouldn't install. Now I have Lubuntu and it works great! I cannot play Minetest on it though, I'm guessing it's a hardware issue. I tried 0.4.9-stable using Wine and it did the same thing (black sky, missing inventory textures, etc.). I'm guessing I will just have to wait until I get a better machine to play.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Tedypig wrote:Hybrid Dog, I cannot use Ubuntu 10.04, when I threw this computer together I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and my machine lagged horribly. I found Puppy Linux and it worked great, but would only play as a live cd, and wouldn't install. Now I have Lubuntu and it works great! I cannot play Minetest on it though, I'm guessing it's a hardware issue. I tried 0.4.9-stable using Wine and it did the same thing (black sky, missing inventory textures, etc.). I'm guessing I will just have to wait until I get a better machine to play.
Run lspci in the terminal and post the output here.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

If you have an intel GMA,

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/

You might want to check that out
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Post

Well, I put together another dumpster build with a 3.0 Ghz single core (all other stats are the same) and it did the same thing. So I stripped the computer down (I'm on another one right now), and noticed that a few pins are missing from the VGA cable... Explains why half of the screen was dim (I thought it was just old). That may be the problem. I'm in the process of finding another monitor because I tried to splice two cables together and they turned out to be different on the inside. After I find one I will post if it got better or not.