Minetest - Education Version

AndroBuilder
In-game: AndroBuilder

Re: Minetest - Education Version

by AndroBuilder » Post

BirgitLachner wrote: I'm member in a german Facebook-Group where we are discussiong about the use of Minecraft/Minetest in education. This edutest is a commission that is payed by a german library association. They want to have a version that can be easily used by "normal" teacher and educationalists (not the geeks like us).
At the moment we are talking about the idea to start a crowfounding to accelerate the development of a MinetestEDU-Version or however it will be called. To have a server to download the version, to get help, find instructions how to use it (for teachers an pupils) and ready-to-use worlds with scenarios for learning und so on.
I would want to join this FB Group :) and help

christoferlevich
GitHub: ChristoferL

by christoferlevich » Post

AndroBuilder wrote:
BirgitLachner wrote: I'm member in a german Facebook-Group where we are discussiong about the use of Minecraft/Minetest in education. This edutest is a commission that is payed by a german library association. They want to have a version that can be easily used by "normal" teacher and educationalists (not the geeks like us).
At the moment we are talking about the idea to start a crowfounding to accelerate the development of a MinetestEDU-Version or however it will be called. To have a server to download the version, to get help, find instructions how to use it (for teachers an pupils) and ready-to-use worlds with scenarios for learning und so on.
I would want to join this FB Group :) and help
I found it - Minecraft/Minetest und Bildung (für Lehrer/Pädagogen)https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458900 ... 280470349/
everything can be a learning experience...

AndroBuilder

by AndroBuilder » Post

I found it - Minecraft/Minetest und Bildung (für Lehrer/Pädagogen)https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458900 ... 280470349/[/quote]

yes but joining is not possible, i'm waiting for quite a while now ^^

christoferlevich

AndroBuilder wrote:I found it - Minecraft/Minetest und Bildung (für Lehrer/Pädagogen)https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458900 ... 280470349/
yes but joining is not possible, i'm waiting for quite a while now ^^[/quote] Yes. I see what you mean. It might not be actively monitored.

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

I admin is at them moment quite busy ... I think. I call him, to give have more admins in the group.

zeuner
GitHub: zeuner

by zeuner » Post

christoferlevich wrote:
BirgitLachner wrote:Look at that: https://github.com/zeuner/edutest
... did not tested it yet, but it will offer some functionally to manage pupils like in MinecraftEDU
It doesn't seem to see anyone but the admin when I run it.
Currently, it is necessary to grant all students the "student" privilege in order for them to appear in the dropdowns. You may want to add it to the "default_privs".

This may change soon if this pull request gets merged (opinions are welcome).

christoferlevich

zeuner wrote: Currently, it is necessary to grant all students the "student" privilege in order for them to appear in the dropdowns. You may want to add it to the "default_privs".
I actually LOVE this part, though it would be better to have everyone apopoear in drop down and students being marked apart from 'others'. This way #1 it would be easy to see if there was a 'guest' who might have gone unnoticed on the server #2 it would be easy to help staff identify the difference between students and others.

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

christoferlevich wrote:
zeuner wrote: Currently, it is necessary to grant all students the "student" privilege in order for them to appear in the dropdowns. You may want to add it to the "default_privs".
I actually LOVE this part, though it would be better to have everyone apopoear in drop down and students being marked apart from 'others'. This way #1 it would be easy to see if there was a 'guest' who might have gone unnoticed on the server #2 it would be easy to help staff identify the difference between students and others.
New teachers get the "teacher" priv and remove the "student".

I tested a world and the ideas was to prepare it in that way that anyone can download it use it for its own purpose. For the teacher there was a prepared account with all rights. The pupils log in with new accounts as usual and get the "student" priv by default with "default_privs" in minetest.conf. The teacher logs in with the prepared teacher account and a secret password. And he does not need to change anything.

PS If you want to join the Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458900627735518/ please tell me your name. The group admin told me that there are sometime spamer who want to join. Fell free to wirte english. I think that the most will understand it.

christoferlevich

I attempted to join (using German to English translator on the page to read it).

AndroBuilder

by AndroBuilder » Post

BirgitLachner wrote: PS If you want to join the Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458900627735518/ please tell me your name. The group admin told me that there are sometime spamer who want to join. Fell free to wirte english. I think that the most will understand it.
Dom Inik is my fb nick. Please add me

zeuner
GitHub: zeuner

student privilege: now optional

by zeuner » Post

zeuner wrote:
christoferlevich wrote:
BirgitLachner wrote:Look at that: https://github.com/zeuner/edutest
... did not tested it yet, but it will offer some functionally to manage pupils like in MinecraftEDU
It doesn't seem to see anyone but the admin when I run it.
Currently, it is necessary to grant all students the "student" privilege in order for them to appear in the dropdowns. You may want to add it to the "default_privs".

This may change soon if this pull request gets merged (opinions are welcome).
I hope I was able to get the different requirements covered now:

As of the current "testing" branches, the modules edutest and edutest_chatcommands together do not anymore require a setup where students are marked with the "student" privilege. Bulk commands will affect every player who does not have the "teacher" privilege.

Users who prefer the previous behaviour with the "student" privilege are urged to install the "edutest_student_privilege" mod ([1]), which will make the commands behave as before.

This way, the development of edutest_chatcommands can continue with a single code base which is the same for all users.

[1] https://github.com/zeuner/edutest-student-privilege