[16px] RPG16 - A clean and stylized texture pack

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

[16px] RPG16 - A clean and stylized texture pack

by Hugues Ross » Post

About
RPG16 is a texturepack designed to give a more stylized pixel art look to Minetest. The pack takes inspiration from classic SNES-era JRPGs in its general presentation.

Currently, only a small number of mods/games are supported. More will be coming over time, so if you'd like to see something specific added, don't hesitate to ask!

Supported Games
  • Ctf
  • Minetest Game
  • Repixture
Supported Mods
  • 3D Armor
  • Awards
  • Baked Clay
  • Basic Grenades
  • Basic Materials
  • Caverealms
  • Email
  • Ethereal NG
  • Handholds
  • HBArmor
  • HBHunger
  • HBSprint
  • Hudbars
  • Lava Stuff
  • Magma Conduits
  • Minetest Wadsprint
  • Mobs Monster
  • Mobs Redo
  • Moon Phases
  • More Blocks
  • More Ores
  • More Trees
  • Multitools
  • Simple Shooter
  • Stamina
Screenshots
Spoiler
ImageImage
Download
You can download the pack from ContentDB here.
Additionally, you can always download fresh releases as they're created here. Just open the download menu on the right for the release you want and select 'stamp'

Other Links This is my first time making a texture pack, so all feedback is appreciated!
If you have any questions, comments, requests, or concerns, feel free to make them known.
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (17.24 KiB) Viewed 6617 times
Last edited by Hugues Ross on Wed Apr 14, 2021 22:05, edited 5 times in total.

voxelproof

Re: [16px] RPG16 - A clean and stylized texture pack

by voxelproof » Post

Thanks for the great work. This tp is amazingly beautiful, that's what I can only say. It sorta reminds me of Heroes of Might&Magic II which imo had the best fairy-tale-like graphics of all the series. Excellent job, really, a must-have for every MT user.

Attachments
rpg_16_tp2.png
rpg_16_tp2.png (441.04 KiB) Viewed 6618 times
rpg_16_tp1.png
rpg_16_tp1.png (364.77 KiB) Viewed 6617 times
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Excellent, high quality textures! I sense a new classic!

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Mmmm, I got to check this out :) It looks really nice!
Will support for mods like ethereal and moretrees be in the works? And since you've already included support for caverealms, what about Hume2's mod, underch?

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

CalebJ wrote:Will support for mods like ethereal and moretrees be in the works? And since you've already included support for caverealms, what about Hume2's mod, underch?
Yes, they will. I have a pretty long list of mods that I'd like to support eventually, moretrees and underch were already on there. I've put all three on the (much shorter) higher-priority list now, which I'm sorting by interest.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Very nice tx pk.
What is SCP-055?

TheBluePineapple
GitHub: TheBluePineapple

by TheBluePineapple » Post

+1

I'd like to request support for the multitools mod
[INTERESTING TEXT HERE]

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Adorable.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

texmex

by texmex » Post

I wonder if you can share your palette in the repo so that mod makers such as myself may use it in order to align with your TP for times that you don’t have time or interest in supporting some mod? I believe this is a golden opportunity to establish this pack as wide as possible in the community and thus ”fan support” may be increased by providing said palette. An art style guide would of course be excellent to have as well, but that’s a lot of work in and of itself.

I’m also curious about your pipeline. What does export.sh do? :)

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

I don't have any sort of official palette. Setting something like that up is on my long-term todo list, but it probably won't happen anytime soon. However, 99% of my textures use indexed color, so the palette for each texture is available within it.

Honestly, I worry a little about people trying to match their mods to RPG16. It makes sense within the context of something like a game or server that uses my textures by default, but if people start RPG16-ifying their mods then everyone else will have to deal with the stylistic clash. I would honestly prefer to see official mod textures follow Minetest Game's lead, and have authors submit merge requests or something if they want to fit in with a particular texture pack. Either way, I'll see about writing some quick guidelines about how to match my art style, I'm no teacher but I can at least put the basic ideas down.

export.sh and stamp.sh are mostly there to simplify the process of 'shipping' the pack, though export.sh is also useful for development. Together, the scripts ensure that I can work comfortably on textures without having to manually update anything when producing releases.
  • export.sh rsyncs all png textures to a specified location, and also converts gif source files into a format that Minetest expects (that is, it auto-generates spritesheets).
  • stamp.sh is purely for making new releases, it 'stamps' versioning information into both screenshot.png and texture_pack.conf so that I never have to update them manually. In the future, I plan to procedurally generate screenshot.png from random terrain textures but we're not there yet.
If you're curious about any particular branch, just click 'build-textures' in this menu:
...and you'll get a fully playable snapshot of the texture pack. All commits on gitlab are exported into a playable version (this means any branch can be very easily tested), and tags are also stamped so I can upload the complete archive directly to ContentDB. If they add an API for pushing versions in the future, I'll probably see about adding a CD process to skip that step as well.

As for my workflow, it's pretty simple. I use AwesomeWM with 9 workspaces bound to my numpad, letting me very rapidly switch programs. I use 4 workspaces when producing textures:
  • Fullscreen Firefox, for finding/examining references
  • Fullscreen GrafX2, for producing textures
  • Fullscreen Minetest, for testing
  • Ranger (1 tab in rpg16, 1 tab in the folder of the mod I'm texturing) and urxvt split side-by-side, for file management and export
I also set up my environment to have export.sh export textures directly to my .minetest folder, so I only have to close and re-open the current world to see the changes. It may seem a little unconventional, but I assure you that this workflow is pretty efficient for me.

And now, back to texturing :D

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Very nice update with the ethereal :D I cannot wait for the next update!

Steamed_Punk
GitHub: steamed-punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

I said i would have a look ;-)
Like i said before, this is a really nice, clear, crisp texture_pack. You have managed to keep an even balance with the tones and colours.
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

Update v1.1.1
I wanted to wait until the ContentDB version was approved, but it looks like that's going to be a while longer.
In the meantime, you can grab a copy here and install it manually.
EDIT: It's up now, so you can grab the latest version directly from the content tab. I'll leave the download link for those who prefer manual installation though.

What's New?
This update adds support for 6 new mods:
  • 3D Armor
  • Baked Clay
  • Ethereal
  • Multitools
  • Lavastuff
  • Stamina
Screenshots:
Spoiler
It also supports the version of MTG that's shipping with 5.1.0, though I've held off on adding a 9-slice background to keep this release backwards-compatible for 5.0 clients. I plan to add it later, but I'll probably wait a few months to give people time to upgrade first...

Lastly, the torch texture has been changed:
It was pointed out that the split flame was pretty weird looking, so I took some time to redraw it in a way that masks the effect better.

Just as a reminder: If something looks off or broken to you, don't hesitate to point it out. With the sheer number of textures I've produced, I can't give as much care to each one as I would to a single finished piece of art. Most textures turn out fine regardless, but it's hard to determine what needs another pass without outside feedback.

And of course, you're always free to request mod/game support.

Enjoy the update!
Attachments
torches.png
torches.png (51.36 KiB) Viewed 6617 times
Last edited by Hugues Ross on Sun Oct 06, 2019 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

texmex

by texmex » Post

The quality of this tp is insanely good. Those armors are absolutely stunning.

Melkor

by Melkor » Post

this is top quality :D

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

Update v1.2.0

Available on ContentDB, as always!

What's New?
This update adds support for 2 new games!!! These games are:
  • Ctf
  • Repixture
Not every texture in these games was replaced, it looks like they have a few unused or already style-fitting textures so I left those as-is for the time being. If you see anything weird or undone for no clear reason, please report it.

This update also adds support for 5 new mods:
  • Email
  • HBSprint
  • Minetest Wadsprint
  • More Trees
  • Simple Shooter
There's one more change, which some folks may find contentious... I've added sun and moon textures, and yes they are round:
Spoiler
Only time will tell how this goes down...

Not finding something you want? Remember, you're always free to request mod/game support.

Enjoy the update!
Attachments
round.png
round.png (129.15 KiB) Viewed 6617 times

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

Oh right, almost forgot but I also added a first-draft style guide here.
As a non-artist I've never written a proper art style guide before, and I'm also not sure if that's really what people are looking for either... I'm open to feedback.

Lastly, a quick warning: I plan to increment the minimum supported Minetest release to 5.1.0 for RPG16 v1.3.0. This is for the reason I described in the v1.1.0 release, in the worst-case scenario where you cannot update Minetest for some reason you should be able to make some simple manual changes to keep using new RPG16 releases, but I don't plan any sort of official support for this. This will likely happen months from now, probably after Minetest 5.2.0 comes out, but I wanted to give a quick heads-up.

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

Quick note to anyone playing Repixture with RPG16:

If you update the game to the new 1.2.0 release, please grab the corresponding update to RPG16 (1.2.1) to ensure that all models are textured properly. I recommend doing these updates either way, since many (all?) of the graphical fixes in Repixture 1.2.0 were requested for better RPG16 support!

The update is now live on ContentDB at the usual spot. have a nice day!

minerman

by minerman » Post

Stunning textures, probably one of the best for minetest imho, alongside REFI and pixel perfection
Hugues Ross wrote:Oh right, almost forgot but I also added a first-draft style guide here.
As a non-artist I've never written a proper art style guide before, and I'm also not sure if that's really what people are looking for either... I'm open to feedback.
You are not an artist?, but how you draw all these beautiful textures?

texmex

by texmex » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:Oh right, almost forgot but I also added a first-draft style guide here.
This is pretty awesome. It opens up for possible external contributions. I guess one thing I miss would be a defined color palette that should be applied to all textures.

KatzEyez
GitHub: KatzPetz
IRC: LadyK
In-game: LadyK

by KatzEyez » Post

Very clean! I really like the smoothness of your textures!
Why wish upon a star when you can pray to the one who created it.

Ignaramico
GitHub: ignaramico

by Ignaramico » Post

The only downside i have found so far in this tp, is that the minimap header is too small, it cant be seen where it is pointing xD, well and maybe the prairie grass from ethereal too, looks too gloom for having.

But is totally worth it, it really gives an rpg feeling

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

Update v1.3.0

Available on ContentDB, as always!

What's New?
This is a pretty small update, mainly focused on updating game support and fixing transparency in Minetest 5.4+.

This update does add support for 3 new mods, though:
  • Basic Grenades
  • Basic Materials
  • Moon Phases
One last thing to note--RPG16 is more or less in 'maintenance mode' and is no longer actively expanding. There is a v1.4.0 update coming later this year, mostly to handle various mod updates that have happened in the past year or so. At that time, I also plan to adapt some or most of the additions from Lemente's fork back into an official release.

Beyond that, there are no further updates planned beyond fixing issues and occasionally getting back in sync with mod updates.

Enjoy the update!

Jury-Me
In-game: Jury-Me

by Jury-Me » Post

This texture pack is beautiful, I love playing with it. But I also love to play with the techpack, and that's why I just made for myself its textures more similar to those in the pack.

I'm not very good at drawing and I didn't have a lot of ideas, I just made everything as if it was made of texturepack planks and bronze, or just make sure that all textures are 16 by 16. I would hope that these textures could be useful if the texturepack had compatibility with the techpack, so I'll put them here.))
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-09-27_14-47-07.png
Screenshot_2021-09-27_14-47-07.png (140.81 KiB) Viewed 6617 times
textures.zip
(146.92 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

I always knew that it bothered me how all over the place the default textures are in quality and style, but I didn't quite realize how much until I started playing with your textures. They are doing so much for my enjoyment of the game. Just had to rename a bunch of ethereal textures, since they apparently changed since you made them, but it's so very very worth it.
Thank you for your absolutely excellent work on this.