[16px] RPG16 - A clean and stylized texture pack

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

Re: [16px] RPG16 - A clean and stylized texture pack

by freshreplicant » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 07:14
I always knew that it bothered me how all over the place the default textures are in quality and style, but I didn't quite realize how much until I started playing with your textures. They are doing so much for my enjoyment of the game.

Thank you for your absolutely excellent work on this.
I totally agree with you here, RPG16 makes Minetest so much better. Out of all the existing texture packs, it gives the most unified feel. They're also really nice looking texture's individually.
Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 07:14
Just had to rename a bunch of ethereal textures, since they apparently changed since you made them, but it's so very very worth it.
I've noticed that it doesn't cover all the Ethereal textures actually. I didn't even think about renaming any. Which ones did you rename? Maybe we can make a merge request for it?

I assume there are also new textures (the fish, new food, etc.) that are not covered by RPG16 yet. Keeping up with Ethereal is probably my biggest wish for this texture pack.

The only other thing I have considered is offering two different versions of RPG16, one 'light' and one 'dark'. It was pretty common with popular Minecraft texture packs when I used to play (Dokucraft as an example).

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

Unfortunately, Ethereal support is deprecated and I will not update it further or accept any PRs updating it. I appreciate that this sucks for users, but it's a major maintenance liability for me so I made the decision to end active support for it.

It was not an easy decision, I know a lot of people like the mod and will probably not take this well but as someone with a day job and a lot of stuff to develop/maintain aside from that I always have to balance value against stability, support, and workload. You can find a slightly longer and more specific explanation here, I'm leaving it on Gitlab because I don't think it's the kind of issue users should have to worry about on their end even if it affects my development/support of this TP a lot.

Anyway, my apologies.

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 09:50
Which ones did you rename?
I opened the texture folder of ethereal and the respective folder in the texture pack and compared them. In most cases the only change needed is to add: "ethereal_" to the front of the name, but a few cases require a bit more (illumishrooms and corals come to mind) and a few shouldn't be changed even though then don't have the mod prefix.
Hugues Ross wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:51
-snip-
You have my complete understanding in this. I also have opinions about decisions made by that mod author. Lets leave it at that.

Honestly you just got my respect for how thorough your texture pack is. I usually don't play with many mods so it wasn't until I started playing on a modded server that I realized how comprehensive it is. It's so nice to see everything fitting together.

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:51
Unfortunately, Ethereal support is deprecated and I will not update it further or accept any PRs updating it. I appreciate that this sucks for users, but it's a major maintenance liability for me so I made the decision to end active support for it.

It was not an easy decision, I know a lot of people like the mod and will probably not take this well but as someone with a day job and a lot of stuff to develop/maintain aside from that I always have to balance value against stability, support, and workload. You can find a slightly longer and more specific explanation here, I'm leaving it on Gitlab because I don't think it's the kind of issue users should have to worry about on their end even if it affects my development/support of this TP a lot.

Anyway, my apologies.
It really is a pity, but I totally understand where you're coming from. I really like Ethereal, but I it doesn't really play well with a certain mods. It also develops rather quickly and in spurts, so things are liable to break in between. I've thought for a while that maybe it should be its own game (especially since it tends overwrite biomes).

Will you mainly be working on maintaining compatibility with mods/games already on your list?

You've done a great thing for Minetest anyhow by making RPG16, well done. I almost feel like textures as good as yours deserve a bit more of a polished game than MTG. Who knows, maybe there will really be something to fill the gap eventually.

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

Will you mainly be working on maintaining compatibility with mods/games already on your list?
Yes. AFAIK, awards is non-deprecated mod that I know of that has lost compatibility and a fix is in progress. It's just going to be a while before that hits, since I have several dozen 32px icons to produce for it still.

As for the thing about polish--I'm kind of in a position at this point where I'm not sure I want to keep expanding until I find content I really want to play long-term. For a technical standpoint Minetest is fully capable of making great games, and I'm hoping something gets made that excites me more someday. If that day comes, I'll either add RPG16 support, or make a new texture pack using what I learned from this one. We'll see!

But in the meantime, expect continued support with limited expansion.