What kind of grass height on litter/dirt sides do you prefer?

High
30%
Middle
35%
Low
25%
No
10%

Total votes: 20

Liil

by Liil » Post

There are 3 ways to design litter/dirt sides, high, middle and low height.

Different games and texture packs use different height. Since I updated my Texture Pack to a unified middle height, I am interested what most people would prefer:

Minecraft Bedrock, HIGH:

Wilhelmines Texture Pack MIDDLE:

Less Dirt Texture Pack by DrFrankenstone https://content.minetest.net/packages/D ... /lessdirt/ LOW:
Last edited by Liil on Tue Jan 03, 2023 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: What kind of grass height on litter/dirt sides do you prefer?

by Blockhead » Post

I voted high because I think it makes the most sense in terms of how grass roots hang off the edge of an object, which is not usually very far. Perhaps they could reach to the medium length. I am also somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to grass ndoes. But grass definitely doesn't hang as low as the long length, which I suppose some people find more pleasing to look at because when looking at the landscape, you will mostly see green, as in the real world where exposed dirt is quite rare.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

100% grass on all sides except perhaps the bottom side. the idea that "one should see some dirt on the side" is just a strange (to be polite) idea that became a norm because MC does it.

I removed that dirt in my game and never came back. Every time I try a server that still have it, it just looks arbitrary, weird, and ugly to me.

Liil

by Liil » Post

Interesting! High dirt, middle dirt, low dirt, NO dirt. I will add a 4th option.
cdb_xMf8awymgVmp

Corax

by Corax » Post

I agree with the notion that no dirt would look best in most cases. The drawback with that is the stark separation when there's a dirt slope beneath... on the other hand, there's no blending between any of the other blocks, so one might argue why the grass/dirt transition should be treated differently.

Edit: Just to clarify, I prefer and use texture packs with low dirt, or edit the grass texture to my liking. It's not that difficult. My hat's off to the people who actually create entire texture packs, that's way over my pay grade ;)
/Edit

Ideally that's something the engine would take care of, they might want to take inspiration from the 'Optifine' class of mods for that other voxel game...
Last edited by Corax on Mon Jan 16, 2023 01:57, edited 2 times in total.

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I like low dirt. It still gets the beautiful green view at the distance, it blends better with adjacent dirt at close distances and it highlight grass is a irregular cover material which is what I expect from nature.
cdb_894a100ddd76

kestral
GitHub: kestral246

by kestral » Post

There are a number of intermediate heights possible between your choices, and since there isn't one right answer I came up with Adjustable Dirt a few years ago. Unfortunately, it's probably too complicated for most people to use.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

i voted middle because i can't decide and it's probably the most pleasing to look at.

i think using both (or all?) is good, since there are different types of foliage growing in different shapes.
short grass would likely have short edges, while longer grass can hang over the edge to make it appear longer. moss can also grow vertically and therefor should have long edges, while bare soil covered in litter should have close to none.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

I vote middle,

but as of living in Thailand, I know and have over 2 meter high 'Elephant Grass" in the garden.
So I know in real and from game how dangerous that is, if some danger animals / monster hide inside.

Other way might be Gold place green ... LOW

I don't prefer any of the height ... just harvest all of them and problem gone.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Peril

by Peril » Post

The reason I prefer high is because of years of playing jRPGs. It just looks neater and it's easier to tile. Grass itself should be a different entity on top, particularly tall grass.
Forgot my old username/email, it's been a number of years please bear with.
Stats: OS: Manjaro Linux; Using minetest-git via AUR

TestificateMods
GitHub: t-affeldt
In-game: Testificate

by TestificateMods » Post

I prefer using the middle option in combination with the naturalslopes mod (that's essentially distributing grass slabs where it makes sense).
This way, I don't get any dirt texture bleeding through on hilly slopes but I also get a very nice blending where there should be dirt showing.