Convert MC resource/texture packs to Minetest!

sofar
Developer

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Convert MC resource/texture packs to Minetest!

by sofar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 18:30

texmex wrote:It's hard to organize them as is, yes. :)

The goal of this project is to make an easy to use texture pack that works well for all users, including novice users. It does not exist to enable your OCD ;)

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 21:02

FYI: Today I have worked on a Python converter script to convert textures from Minecraft to MineClone 2.

It can be found in the MineClone 2 repository under “tools/”.
It's stilly very rough (I am not proud of the coding style and all those system calls) and is able to create (incomplete) texture packs and even update the MineClone 2 files, in case I want to switch the default textures in future. Eventually I may switch to rely entirey on the CSV data, so the script does not contain any hardcoded file name at all.

I used Python because I think it is more portable than horrible Shell scripting, it's easy to do “everyday tasks” (like parsing a CSV), and I am simply very bad at Shell scripting and I just hate the language.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest. I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 21:46

Wuzzy wrote:FYI: Today I have worked on a Python converter script to convert textures from Minecraft to MineClone 2.

It can be found in the MineClone 2 repository under “tools/”.
It's stilly very rough (I am not proud of the coding style and all those system calls) and is able to create (incomplete) texture packs and even update the MineClone 2 files, in case I want to switch the default textures in future. Eventually I may switch to rely entirey on the CSV data, so the script does not contain any hardcoded file name at all.

I used Python because I think it is more portable than horrible Shell scripting, it's easy to do “everyday tasks” (like parsing a CSV), and I am simply very bad at Shell scripting and I just hate the language.

Code: Select all
resp = {"pffffff", "really?", "ewwww"}
print(resp[math.random(3)])

If this is not applicable for minetest_game texture packs, and it does not relate to the original project, then you're just advertising your own self-admitted shoddy project.

If you are actually interested in making a reasonable project that could work for both minetest_game and mineclone2, and do a platform independent solution that doesn't require a scripting language to be installed separately, then maybe I'll be up for doing this. E.g. `go` would be an excellent language to do a project like that into, since it is incredibly easy to create cross platform binaries (just like how I made mtmediasrv) right from e.g. Linux for e.g. Windows.

captpete

by captpete » Sat Jul 29, 2017 15:39

Is it possible for you, if time allows, to add conversion to some of the popular mods out there - such as the ones in VanessaE's Dreambuilder Modpack (anvil, bedrock, boost_cart, mesecons, moreblocks, moretrees, quartz, stained_glass, etc ), bakedclay, beacon, lapis, nether, xdecor, etc.

I know only some MineCraft blocks could be converted to MineTest mods but that would allow more MineCraft blocks to be used.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 19:37

captpete wrote:Is it possible for you, if time allows, to add conversion to some of the popular mods out there - such as the ones in VanessaE's Dreambuilder Modpack (anvil, bedrock, boost_cart, mesecons, moreblocks, moretrees, quartz, stained_glass, etc ), bakedclay, beacon, lapis, nether, xdecor, etc.

I know only some MineCraft blocks could be converted to MineTest mods but that would allow more MineCraft blocks to be used.

yes, it's totally all possible, except that it's a huge time sink and I don't generally use most of these mods, so I'd be wasting my time - at least that's how I feel about it.

But, if someone else adds good conversions for things like technic, mesecons and other popular minetest mods, then I'll merge it. Someone just needs to do this.

captpete

by captpete » Tue Aug 01, 2017 21:22

Unfortunately, I don't know Lua but I'll take a look at some of the code and see how simple assignment works for the simpler building blocks - the "technical" blocks would probably be beyond me - if I can find the time to sink into it.

Previous

Return to Texture Packs