Convert MC resource/texture packs to Minetest!

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Convert MC resource/texture packs to Minetest!

by sofar » Post

These 2 texture packs are *completely* messed up and packaged incorrectly. They are missing the right folder stucture for minecraft texture packs and are therefore not supported by mcresconvert.

If the texture pack zip file doesn't have an "assets" folder, like these two, it's just guesswork where the texture files are and so mcresconvert can't do anything with these, sorry.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Tigerlore wrote:I'm not sure the scoring system is right.

I converted one texture pack and got, iirc, 405/415 for 98% and another texture pack was 405/438 for 94%.

Seems to me the 405 number is the one that matters and, hypothetically, a pack could get 405/405 for 100% but still not actually be any better than the two packs I already converted.
The scoring system calculates a maximum based on several choices that a texture pack can make. If a texture pack makes a bunch of choices that result in more texture files being present, then the total increases.

The percentage calculation is plain and simple: (count / total) * 100.

So 405/415 means that the total expected number of textures would be 415, but only 405 textures where present (or convertable), and so the score is 98%. For the other texture pack, which made some different design choices, the total was 438, but it also only provided 405 proper textures, and so it scored lower (94%).

necron099

by necron099 » Post

Thanks sofar, now I know not to bother with the TP's that aren't properly packed. If they were unzipped, organized, and re-zipped they would work then?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

necron099 wrote:Thanks sofar, now I know not to bother with the TP's that aren't properly packed. If they were unzipped, organized, and re-zipped they would work then?
Yes, possibly. If you make the organization the same that PixelPerfections is, it should work.

amadin

by amadin » Post

What version number of minecraft script support?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

amadin wrote:What version number of minecraft script support?
When I wrote this the latest MC version out was 1.8. I haven't tested 1.10, but I don't think there were any major changes in 1.9. Chances are, they all work fine.

amadin

by amadin » Post

default_grass_(1,2,3,4,5).png have grass with identical height. Is possible move textures default_grass_(1,2,3,4).png little down?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

amadin wrote:default_grass_(1,2,3,4,5).png have grass with identical height. Is possible move textures default_grass_(1,2,3,4).png little down?
That would break texture packs that provide textures that are of increasing length.

captpete

by captpete » Post

IGNORE - found the problem, operator error in not reading that "unzip" needs to be in the path.

I just tried this out and got the following error:

Code: Select all

$ NOGUI=1 ./mcresconvert.sh "Pixel Perfection V3.6.zip"
Found: PixelPerfectionV36
   - File: Pixel Perfection V3.6.zip
checkdir:  cannot create extraction directory: /home/Peter/.minetest/textures/PixelPerfectionV36/_z
Then i did an ls:

Code: Select all

$ ls -alR ~/.minetest/textures/PixelPerfectionV36
/home/Peter/.minetest/textures/PixelPerfectionV36:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Peter Peter 0 Feb 18 11:59 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Peter Peter 0 Feb 18 11:59 ..
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Peter Peter 0 Feb 18 11:59 _z

/home/Peter/.minetest/textures/PixelPerfectionV36/_z:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Peter Peter 0 Feb 18 11:59 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Peter Peter 0 Feb 18 11:59 ..

Any help?

Mehdi35
GitHub: Stussy
IRC: ElMehdiBen
In-game: ElMehdiBen

by Mehdi35 » Post

Very very COOL !! :D
Like You Want My Signature :3
My Uploaded SKins:http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/#author=ElMehdiBen

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

I've updated PixelPerfection to v36, so if all you want is a new copy of it, just go here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14289

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

captpete wrote: checkdir: cannot create extraction directory: /home/Peter/.minetest/textures/PixelPerfectionV36/_z
Any help?
I don't even know what `checkdir` is, and I certainly don't think it's a linux thing.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

sofar wrote:
captpete wrote: checkdir: cannot create extraction directory: /home/Peter/.minetest/textures/PixelPerfectionV36/_z
Any help?
I don't even know what `checkdir` is, and I certainly don't think it's a linux thing.
It's an unzip error

checkdir error cannot create. if you’re trying to unzip something and you’re getting a ‘checkdir error cannot create’ on Linux, check the error again:

Make sure that you have write permission on the folder you are trying to unzip to
Last edited by TumeniNodes on Tue Feb 21, 2017 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
A Wonderful World

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

I've been trying out mcresconvert and it is an excellent tool. Thank you for making bridging all that good stuff from MC over to MT possible.

I wonder if mese tools could be handled in the script even if they don't exist in MC. I've noticed that Minetest do not make use of gold tools (which is apt, who makes soft metal tools anyway?), but MC does. Therefore these set of tools goes unused in conversion, right?

How about using the gold tools as mese tools then? The often warm goldish yellow of the MT gold tools could be selectively hue shifted to a colder one matching the original mese color. It would have to be only a yellowish range of the color spectrum that would shift, but Imagemagick should be able to handle that.

spyjoshx
IRC: spyjoshx
In-game: spyjoshx

by spyjoshx » Post

I love the way this works!! I successfully converted my default MC resources and they seem to be working well. The only problem is, resources like granite, andesite, diorite, crafting table, etc. are not displaying in wuzzy's MineClone2 game. I'm assuming the problem is that the converted textures are not named correctly to work in wuzzy's subgame. Any suggestions on how I might fix this?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

spyjoshx wrote:I love the way this works!! I successfully converted my default MC resources and they seem to be working well. The only problem is, resources like granite, andesite, diorite, crafting table, etc. are not displaying in wuzzy's MineClone2 game. I'm assuming the problem is that the converted textures are not named correctly to work in wuzzy's subgame. Any suggestions on how I might fix this?
The converter is tailored to minetest_game, not mineclone2. I would need to know the name of the textures that mineclone2 uses for granite etc, and then they could be added to the translation tables. Patching it is relatively simple for most textures, since it is just a rename.

texmex

by texmex » Post

sofar wrote:The converter is tailored to minetest_game, not mineclone2. I would need to know the name of the textures that mineclone2 uses for granite etc, and then they could be added to the translation tables. Patching it is relatively simple for most textures, since it is just a rename.
What about enabling alternative translation tables? mcresconvert could use a default table but pull in other ones depending on a flag correlating to the table's name.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

texmex wrote:What about enabling alternative translation tables? mcresconvert could use a default table but pull in other ones depending on a flag correlating to the table's name.
Ideally, we convert the texture pack to as many mods and subgames without any flags, so, if we want to support mineclone, we should go that route first.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Cool.

You mean to create duplicate texture files so that they'll fit naming, when the namings diverge? Perhaps that's not a real issue though.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

texmex wrote:You mean to create duplicate texture files so that they'll fit naming, when the namings diverge? Perhaps that's not a real issue though.
texture packs aren't large enough for this to be a problem. So yes.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

You should clarify that this script only works for Minetest Game.

I hope someone will make a conversion script which works for MineClone 2.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote: I hope someone will make a conversion script which works for MineClone 2.
That should be fairly easy, at least for most of the simple nodes. There is just a simple conversion table for 90% of the nodes.

Why maintain 2 scripts if it can just be part of this project?

I'll take patches that make the script also output textures for mineclone in the same folder in addition to the default node names. No reason to keep them in separate folders anyway.

texmex

by texmex » Post

sofar wrote:make the script also output textures for mineclone in the same folder
Make that an opt-in or opt-out if so, please. :)

Btw, do you have a good method for quickly mapping the right textures to the right new names? Mac's Finder is… dull. Any power user ideas? I'm a friend of terminals too.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

texmex wrote:
sofar wrote:make the script also output textures for mineclone in the same folder
Make that an opt-in or opt-out if so, please. :)
Why? Are you really afraid of a few 100kb of extra files?

texmex

by texmex » Post

It's hard to organize them as is, yes. :)