Convert MC resource/texture packs to Minetest!

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Convert MC resource/texture packs to Minetest!

by sofar » Post

texmex wrote:It's hard to organize them as is, yes. :)
The goal of this project is to make an easy to use texture pack that works well for all users, including novice users. It does not exist to enable your OCD ;)

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

You're absolutely right.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

FYI: Today I have worked on a Python converter script to convert textures from Minecraft to MineClone 2.

It can be found in the MineClone 2 repository under “tools/”.
It's stilly very rough (I am not proud of the coding style and all those system calls) and is able to create (incomplete) texture packs and even update the MineClone 2 files, in case I want to switch the default textures in future. Eventually I may switch to rely entirey on the CSV data, so the script does not contain any hardcoded file name at all.

I used Python because I think it is more portable than horrible Shell scripting, it's easy to do “everyday tasks” (like parsing a CSV), and I am simply very bad at Shell scripting and I just hate the language.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote:FYI: Today I have worked on a Python converter script to convert textures from Minecraft to MineClone 2.

It can be found in the MineClone 2 repository under “tools/”.
It's stilly very rough (I am not proud of the coding style and all those system calls) and is able to create (incomplete) texture packs and even update the MineClone 2 files, in case I want to switch the default textures in future. Eventually I may switch to rely entirey on the CSV data, so the script does not contain any hardcoded file name at all.

I used Python because I think it is more portable than horrible Shell scripting, it's easy to do “everyday tasks” (like parsing a CSV), and I am simply very bad at Shell scripting and I just hate the language.

Code: Select all

resp = {"pffffff", "really?", "ewwww"}
print(resp[math.random(3)])
If this is not applicable for minetest_game texture packs, and it does not relate to the original project, then you're just advertising your own self-admitted shoddy project.

If you are actually interested in making a reasonable project that could work for both minetest_game and mineclone2, and do a platform independent solution that doesn't require a scripting language to be installed separately, then maybe I'll be up for doing this. E.g. `go` would be an excellent language to do a project like that into, since it is incredibly easy to create cross platform binaries (just like how I made mtmediasrv) right from e.g. Linux for e.g. Windows.

captpete

by captpete » Post

Is it possible for you, if time allows, to add conversion to some of the popular mods out there - such as the ones in VanessaE's Dreambuilder Modpack (anvil, bedrock, boost_cart, mesecons, moreblocks, moretrees, quartz, stained_glass, etc ), bakedclay, beacon, lapis, nether, xdecor, etc.

I know only some MineCraft blocks could be converted to MineTest mods but that would allow more MineCraft blocks to be used.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

captpete wrote:Is it possible for you, if time allows, to add conversion to some of the popular mods out there - such as the ones in VanessaE's Dreambuilder Modpack (anvil, bedrock, boost_cart, mesecons, moreblocks, moretrees, quartz, stained_glass, etc ), bakedclay, beacon, lapis, nether, xdecor, etc.

I know only some MineCraft blocks could be converted to MineTest mods but that would allow more MineCraft blocks to be used.
yes, it's totally all possible, except that it's a huge time sink and I don't generally use most of these mods, so I'd be wasting my time - at least that's how I feel about it.

But, if someone else adds good conversions for things like technic, mesecons and other popular minetest mods, then I'll merge it. Someone just needs to do this.

captpete

by captpete » Post

Unfortunately, I don't know Lua but I'll take a look at some of the code and see how simple assignment works for the simpler building blocks - the "technical" blocks would probably be beyond me - if I can find the time to sink into it.

Enrikoo
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

by Enrikoo » Post

Can you please convert this?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Enrikoo wrote:Can you please convert this?
Not interested. Please convert it yourself.

There is no license posted so it may not even be legal to redistribute a converted texture pack, plus, because it's PVP focused it likely doesn't have any of the normal survival textures redone. At 17mb for 256px, It probably doesn't have any real coverage over the basics.

Enrikoo

by Enrikoo » Post

sofar wrote:
Enrikoo wrote:Can you please convert this?
Not interested. Please convert it yourself.

There is no license posted so it may not even be legal to redistribute a converted texture pack, plus, because it's PVP focused it likely doesn't have any of the normal survival textures redone. At 17mb for 256px, It probably doesn't have any real coverage over the basics.
I already tried to convert but I always fail at converting. I need to know how to convert textures on Windows 10.

Isn't there any way to convert it on Windows 10, maybe a link?

texmex

by texmex » Post

Did you really try? ;P
Attachments
§dArcane-§8UHC-§8§f256x§8.zip
(893.64 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

Enrikoo

by Enrikoo » Post

texmex wrote:Did you really try? ;P
Thank you, linux guy (IIRC) :P

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Enrikoo wrote:Isn't there any way to convert it on Windows 10, maybe a link?
I'm not interested in supporting windows. I neither use it nor do I have any energy making code work on it.

captpete

by captpete » Post

Enrikoo wrote: I already tried to convert but I always fail at converting. I need to know how to convert textures on Windows 10.

Isn't there any way to convert it on Windows 10, maybe a link?
For those of you using Winblows(intentional) install "Cygwin" on Windows. Go to http://www.cygwin.com and scroll down to "Installing Cygwin" and follow the directions for the base install. Then run the setup file again and select "All" from the dropdown. Search for "wget", "unzip" and "imagemagic" successively and click on the "skip" for each package to select it, it will change to a version number. Complete the install. Then run the "Cygwin Terminal" from the icon on your Desktop and follow the directions in the original post in this topic.

If you feel adventurous you can install "X-Windows" (goto the "Cygwin/X" section on the website) and then "zenity" for the GUI.

Hope this helps.

captpete

by captpete » Post

Is it possible to add some of the new default textures (I'm thinking Desert and Silver Sandstone) to the converter? Might it be simple like modifying Sandstone images via a palette or using Red Sandstone and changing the saturation? It seems your Desert Stone could be used for Desert Sandstone and maybe up the saturation for a new Desert Stone? Not to sure about Silver Sandstone but maybe a conversion to grey scale?

Jut a thought since I don't really know ImageMagic that well.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Honestly the script is something I'd like to replace with e.g. a golang implementation, since that would allow me to (trivially) create binaries that work on Windows and Linux. If anyone feels like starting a rewrite in Go, please let me know, and I can help out.

captpete

by captpete » Post

Well I'm not a programmer but I wonder if this would work in your current script to add silver_sandstone to it and not break anything:

Code: Select all

# attempt to make silver sand(stone)
		echo -e "." >> _n/_tot
		if [ -f _n/blocks/sandstone_normal.png ]; then
			convert _n/blocks/sand.png  -colorspace Gray default_silver_sand.png
			convert _n/blocks/sandstone_top.png  -colorspace Gray default_silver_sandstone.png
			convert _n/blocks/sandstone_carved.png  -colorspace Gray default_silver_sandstone_block.png
			convert _n/blocks/sandstone_normal.png  -colorspace Gray default_silver_sandstone_brick.png
			echo -e "." >> _n/_counter
		fi
Is that correct usage or do I need to check if all sand/sandstone variants exist individually?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

captpete wrote:Well I'm not a programmer but I wonder if this would work in your current script to add silver_sandstone to it and not break anything:

Is that correct usage or do I need to check if all sand/sandstone variants exist individually?
Nope, that looks fine. Why don't you try making a git pull request, so we can do code review?

captpete

by captpete » Post

I'm not a programmer or a developer and I don't have a developer setup for github/lib so I'm not sure how to go about that. Since I don't have a project to host I'm not sure of the steps to get an account. I don't really want to have more online accounts to maintain if I can help it. I'm just a very poor script jockey only kicking and screaming when my family or close friends want something. I know just enough to get into trouble quite frequently [Grin].

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

captpete wrote:I'm not a programmer or a developer and I don't have a developer setup for github/lib so I'm not sure how to go about that. Since I don't have a project to host I'm not sure of the steps to get an account. I don't really want to have more online accounts to maintain if I can help it. I'm just a very poor script jockey only kicking and screaming when my family or close friends want something. I know just enough to get into trouble quite frequently [Grin].
lol

I understand. But, if you want to learn how to be able to do more trouble, it may help to learn how to use git and github!

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Could you also convert a ".mcpack" to a minetest texture pack??
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

texmex

by texmex » Post

Miniontoby wrote:Could you also convert a ".mcpack" to a minetest texture pack??
An MCPACK file contains resource files that modify Minecraft (Bedrock Edition), a popular block-building game. It stores multiple resource files, such as . PNG and . JSON files compressed with ZIP compression.
It's just a zip, so probably.

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

I'd like to know if is possible ro convert MC NAPP resource pack into a mt resource pack
OneUnitedPower

ThePython
GitHub: ThePython10110
In-game: ThePython or ThePython10110

by ThePython » Post

Has anyone tried to go the other way? Converting MineClone/Minetest texture packs to MineCraft resource packs?
Links to my stuff: ContentDB, GitHub, Website.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

ThePython wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 22:14
Has anyone tried to go the other way? Converting MineClone/Minetest texture packs to MineCraft resource packs?
It would be the rare exception because most of the artwork is made for Minecraft first rather than Minetest first, just owing to the far greater number of people and particularly artists for Minecraft. If you are interested in something that was made for Minetest-first, then you could look into reversing the effect of the script, if you have the programming knowledge at least. You'd also have to choose what version(s) of Minecraft to target due to format changes over time.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂