HDX Textures (64 - 512 px) [git rolling release]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Minor update today: Greatly improved the appearance of the glass insert in homedecor "fancy" door, and also made it slightly translucent for alpha-capable clients/servers (looks fine without that feature, also).
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Accidentally stripped off the alpha channels from homedecor "fancy" door in all resolutions. Fixed.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Major update today in anticipation of a new feature coming soon:

Minetest will soon have bumpmapping capability (see RealBadAngel's fork if you're impatient to try it), so all of the images here have appropriate data in the form of normalmaps (which define how rough a surface is), along with specular maps (which define how shiny it is), for when that feature is ready to use.

In the process, I weeded out a number of obsolete images from mods that are long dead or no longer useful - namely images for the old server-side particles, irontrees, growing_trees, and terraforming mods, and I removed a few other obsolete images here and there. Also flattened and converted several .png's to .jpg where possible.

Users of vanilla minetest without bumpmapping capability will see no appreciable change, except minor changes to a few base textures (such as wood, mese blocks, and one or two others) have changed slightly (I had to re-do them from scratch to get them to look right). Of course the download is bigger, too. :-)

Please note that the repository URLs have changed to better reflect the names of these texture packs. The old "realistic textures" repositories have been deleted as obsolete.

Finally, I announced this a little too early, and then had to retract that announcement almost immediately because of an error in one of my management scripts that I didn't find until after the initial upload of the 64-512px sizes, which screwed up a lot of images. This has been fixed in all sizes. If you downloaded HDX at any point whatsoever today, you will need to re-download or re-clone it, as necessary. Sorry about that. :-/

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Another update: Ran pngcrush on all of the PNG images, and jpegoptim on all of the JPEG images. This cut the 512px size down from 705 to 680MB without any change of quality. Less change to other sizes (16px is still about 20MB).

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Thanks for pointing me to pngcrush and jpegoptim! It will help me save some hard drive space by compressing(without changing the quality) all the art/clip art in my pictures folder.
Back from the dead!

Constance

by Constance » Post

Hey there .o/

If you wish to further optimize the weight, still without quality loss, you can use PngOptimizer (freeware) and pngout (the command line version is freeware) on your PNG textures.
And if you really have lots of time on your hands, you may give a try to PNGGauntlet, also freeware, which can give even slightly better results.
Last edited by Constance on Sat Jun 01, 2013 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually I already ran all the regular png textures (not the normal/specular maps) through pngquant also, reducing them all to 8-bit where possible, which shaved the total size down further to about 634 MB.

Next step will be to reduce the quality settings on the jpegs as far as they'll go without sacrificing visible quality.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

A few more updates: Added support for Steel mod, and put in new textures for mossy cobble and gloopblocks mossy stone brick. Added moreblocks circular/table saw. Fixed a bunch of png's that got flattened by mistake (and a few that should have been but weren't). Added support for PilzAdam's carts mod.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Request: Would you mind supporting my quartz mod?
Back from the dead!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Added support for quartz mod.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

VanessaE wrote:Added support for quartz mod.
Thanks. :D
Last edited by Evergreen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Lol, I can see my house on one of your screenshots! :D

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Another minor update - updated gloopblocks support, fixed some missing unifiedbricks textures.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Haha...
The 512px size requires a 64 bit OS, about 6 GB free RAM and a modern, fairly beefy video card under the same conditions.
I ran this fine on a 32bit 2gb Netbook running Windows... With over 70 mods running. Lol.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

How many items were defined by those mods? :)

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Errrm... With Unified_Inventory, there were 31 pages of stuff.
VanessaE wrote:How many items were defined by those mods? :)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Wow - I have to wonder then what it is that MT does on my box that consumes so much RAM by comparison, as I "only" have 19 pages in UI, plus another roughly 14 pages' worth of items that aren't shown (because they're only available via a machine of some type or by crafting).

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Quick question... What is the maximum number of items Minetest is able to handle? I know there is some kind of limit...
VanessaE wrote:Wow - I have to wonder then what it is that MT does on my box that consumes so much RAM by comparison, as I "only" have 19 pages in UI, plus another roughly 14 pages' worth of items that aren't shown (because they're only available via a machine of some type or by crafting).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

4096, currently. There are possible plans to raise this limit to 65534.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Your textures for Sokomine's cottages mod are very good. Whenever you have the time and the will to do so, could you make textures for the darkage mod? Not many texture packs support it, even though most of its blocks consist of mud types, brick types, and rock types. One of the highlights of the mod is that it adds a little more diversity to generated worlds.

One thing you could do is have certain parts of your texture packs be separate downloads or separate folders. This would make it easier for people to pick and choose what they need.
Last edited by Inocudom on Tue Jul 09, 2013 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

VanessaE wrote:Wow - I have to wonder then what it is that MT does on my box that consumes so much RAM by comparison, as I "only" have 19 pages in UI, plus another roughly 14 pages' worth of items that aren't shown (because they're only available via a machine of some type or by crafting).
Vanessa, it is the renderer being a piece of shit. Your machine is fine otherwise.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Jordach wrote:
Vanessa, it is the renderer being a piece of shit. Your machine is fine otherwise.
The renderer is causing it? If that is so, do you know of any way it could be fixed? If you do, the knowledge could be useful to the developers of Minetest. I too feel that RAM and CPU usage can be optimized, but that is no small task.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I may add support for it at some time, but not right now (there are quite a few texture files).

Pull requests are of course welcome (512px for all tools and in-world objects, 64px for inventory items; I'll handle downscaling them for 256px and lower).

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Hello VE,
here the changes to textures in my StreetsMod:

In the textures containing labels, all asphalt has been removed. It will be put into the texture by the mod itself.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually, do the related textures the same way as they are now, because they have to be rendered with a blend mode (in GIMP) that can't be done in realtime in the engine, in order to get the right look.