HDX Textures (64 - 512 px) [git rolling release]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

HDX Textures (64 - 512 px) [git rolling release]

by VanessaE » Post

Vanessa's Photorealistic "HDX" texture packs

These texture packs are intended to provide a nice, realistic look to Minetest, in multiple resolutions to support a reasonable range of graphics power. High- and low-end machines should all do well with these, provided you choose a size appropriate for your hardware. :-)

HDX stands for "High Definition Expansion" and refers primarily to the highest resolution size supported by this texture pack set (you can't exactly call 16px "HD" after all :-) ).

Screenshots are at the bottom of this post.

Unless I missed an update somewhere along the way :-) these packs support most of the standard/distribution stuff and a whole bunch of mods! These packs should work with other branches, forks, and versions of Minetest, as long as the texture filenames haven't been changed.

Downloads :

Latest from git, as ZIPs:
64px - 128px - 256px - 512px

... or bowse their respective repositories:
64px - 128px - 256px - 512px

Notes:
These packs use a lot of disk space, up to about 1.4 GB for the 512px version when cloned from the git repository (352 MB of that is imagery, the rest is git history). Note that on rare occasions, the git history will be wiped out, for the sake of size, as it's not very useful in a texture pack, and I always keep my raw project files for any complex images.

I personally recommend using git to manage your copies of these packs if you can. They take more space, but then you don't have to re-download the whole archive every time updates are made.

There are 2554 textures in the 512px size, counting all of the supported games and mods listed below. While the general trend is to increase, the number of textures will sometimes go down, if for example a supported mod is rewritten to need fewer images, or if support for something is dropped (this will generally only happen for very old mods that either stop working, don't exist/can't be downloaded anymore, or have been superseded).

NOTICE: Depending on which game you run and/or how many HDX-supported mods are being used, you may need a fairly modern gaming system to run the larger sizes of these texture packs at respectable frame rates. Some machines may take a LONG time to initialize. The bigger the texture pack size, and the more fancy effects you enable on your client, the more RAM you'll need, as well. (my machine, for example, takes about 52 seconds to start my Dreambuilder testing world while using the 256px pack, while using about 4.3 GB of RAM).

License:
GFDL because of the original images' licenses (most are either CC-By-SA or GPL), or WTFPL if you don't care about licenses. ;-)

Install:
Spoiler
First, download one of the above ZIP files and extract it somewhere, or clone the repository for the resolution you want. If you downloaded a ZIP, you may wish to rename the resultant folder to something meaningful, e.g. "HDX-256px" or similar.

To install, just copy or symlink your HDX texture folder as a whole into {your_minetest_folder}/textures ... Don't just copy the files - copy the whole folder in one go. Start Minetest, go into the Texture Packs tab, and click on the newly-installed pack in the list. Exit the client and re-start.
Supported Games and Mods
Spoiler
Games: Mods:
Technical info
Spoiler
Imagery sources: Wikimedia Commons, Wikipedia, Flickr, a few misc. websites, my own and my late husband Abe's photography, and my own hand-made renderings. All photos and images have some sort of open/free license or are public domain. The animated, flowing water texture was contributed by khonkhortisan, based on the static water image. Thanks!

I used The GIMP to process all of the imagery in these texture packs. Inkscape was used to draw and render some of the images before passing them off to The GIMP for post-processing.

These packs supply animated textures where they're called for, unless I missed some. When practical, HDX supplies higher-frame-rate animations.

In these packs, the vast majority of items that are intended only for use within the inventory, crafting grid, or furnace (such as paper, dyes, lumps of coal, the mapping kit, etc.) are drawn at exactly 64 px, regardless of pack's stated resolution, owing to the size those objects are displayed by the engine. Images which are intended to be wielded/used or placed in the world are rendered at the stated resolution. Some images may have larger dimensions than the stated resolution, either as a side effect of UV mapping, or to achieve some effect that doesn't work with lower resolutions. The effective resolution of in-world items should still be as stated (for example, a Homedecor door image is 1024x1024, but it covers two node spaces' worth of detail and has all six sides of the door in a single image).

Most flat images in these texture packs are in JPEG format, except in the smaller sizes. The game will load them just fine, even if it looks like it needs a different file format, owing to the fact that the game can load several different image formats regardless of the filename extension (the extension is ignored). All images that have transparency are in PNG format.

Changelog
https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/hdx-512/raw ... ngelog.txt
(or just browse the commit history)

Where'd this come from?
While making the first version of the 512px size in early 2012, I used Calinou's conversion of Misa's Minecraft texture pack as a rough guide. All textures have since been made starting with one or more high resolution, high quality image files whenever possible, then combined, manipulated, and then eventually scaled down to 512px and below. These images are meant to be superficially similar to Misa's textures, but as realistic as possible.

In many cases, the lower-resolution images have been hand-tweaked after scaling. In some cases, the lower-resolution textures have simply been omitted, if for example too much detail is lost by scaling.

Wherever possible (and where it made sense of course), I used real-life photos of the materials and objects being represented.

Project files:
If you want any of the work files used to produce these images (most of which aren't directly usable as textures without some work), just send me a forum email.
Screenshots
Spoiler
These images reflect the appearance of this texture pack as applied to standard Minetest clients, with bump-mapping disabled, and are larger than what you see here. Right-click --> "View image" (or similar) to see them at 100% size.

Last edited by VanessaE on Sat Mar 01, 2014 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

Wow great job I'm gonna try this out.
Keep calm and code python^_^

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Noisy, noisy, noisy... as usual, like all the realistic HD packs... We need texture filtering :P

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Heh, I blamed that on my video driver; just need to enable driver-level antialiasing/supersampling/etc. Supposedly this can be done from outside the game, but I don't know how. :-/
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Enabling antialiasing/anistropic filtering creates a lot of artifacts between blocks.

edit: not anymore.
Last edited by Calinou on Mon Jan 28, 2013 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

I like it, not too noisy for me but the largest I'll use is 64

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Amazing! Love mod support!
Redstone for minetest: Mesecons (mesecons.net)

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

I like the lava, and water.

Trenton

by Trenton » Post

ehm, what are those items on the top line of the chest?
looks like something "gross"?

or maybe it's just me, sorry xD
Sorry for my poor english

>I'm still testing my mod. if you wanna help me contact me =)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

(the image Trenton refers to has since been deleted. It was of the contents of one of my chests, showing among other things, several reddish lumps)

They're lumps of red clay :)
Last edited by VanessaE on Mon Jun 04, 2012 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

Sanchez

by Sanchez » Post

Textures look great! Thanks for including my Blox mod, much appreciated.

FYI: Blox mod has been updated today with new blocks, if you have the time i'd love to see them included in your texture packs.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I think that can be arranged. :-)

Edit: Support for blox v0.3 has since been added.
Last edited by VanessaE on Sun Jun 17, 2012 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

Doomenick

by Doomenick » Post

Like this Texture pack very much :)
Only one thing I don't like that much was the active furnance so I just modified it. (I am not quite sure if its legal)

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-15197064/ ... e.png.html

it's 512x512 px, hope you like it. Have fun with it, if you like :)
Last edited by Doomenick on Thu Jul 19, 2012 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

You're right that my active furnace still needs work. I'd like to do like cisoun did in one of his 16px textures - beautiful fire effect in that one. Yours isn't bad, but it needs to look hotter I think.

Doomenick

by Doomenick » Post

I think the main problem is, that there is nothing hot. There are just flames, you would need coal or something for the best effect. Another problem is, that flames produce light, so you have to see what is inside the furnance.
I give it a last try:

http://www10.pic-upload.de/19.07.12/yr31xdb4exkt.png

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Doomenick: while I didn't use your changes, what I just put in might be more to your liking. Finally got it to look nice and hot.

emspri

by emspri » Post

i am using it now and its awesome !! :D

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

zzarko

by zzarko » Post

Nice texture pack, I just tried it. And to show that I'm not ungrateful to the whole minetest community (and to you), I improved a bit sfan5's Mod Manager:
http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 474#p37474

Josh

by Josh » Post

when i try to download the 512px one it's 264 MB. And that's way to big. Is it just a very big texture pack?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Indeed it is large, mainly because there are over 1500 images in these texture packs, owing to support being provided for a large number of third-party mods.

You should not have any trouble downloading a file of this size (or really any size) as long as you have somewhere to store it. You can always download it and then trim out what you don't want of course.

264 MB is pretty small compared to the average PC hard disk these days though, which typically has 200-500 GB available.

The larger sizes are made for reasonably-recent computers where hard drive storage and graphics processing power are plentiful.

Blackthorne

by Blackthorne » Post

How can you tell which download is appropriate for your system?

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

Blackthorne wrote:How can you tell which download is appropriate for your system?
try them, then you could tell :)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

RBA is right, you simply have to try one and see how it performs for you.

I do know that on my box (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T w/4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD6870 w/1GB) the 512px pack performs acceptably under most conditions (where it doesn't is purely due to bugs in the game).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2012-08-20: Huge update in texture packs! Everything that can be represented as a JPG image without a visible quality loss has been converted to that format. That's basically everything that doesn't have an alpha channel. A few images in the 512px set have been adjusted in size by virtue of my realizing they could be done better (e.g. Unknown block was too big, while throwing bow was too small). All inventory items have been re-checked to make sure the under-512px sizes get the right images.

If you have a previous copy of these texture packs, please delete them fully - purge them from your system and then install this new version. Otherwise, the game will load the old PNG files.

2012-08-28: Brought pipeworks and mesecons up to date.

2012-09-12: Added nyan cat, and if the guy who owns the original complains, he can piss off because this entirely my own work - even the cat is my pet. :-)

Additional updates not listed here as well, see changelog.