MineTest Texture Pack Overhaul

Should MineTest get a texture pack update?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 62

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

MineTest Texture Pack Overhaul

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

Last edited by GamingAssociation39 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 06:24, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

Re: (Poll) MineTest Texture Pack

by v-rob » Post

Yes! We are updating another version, so we should get a new texture pack. It happened for 0.2 --> 0.3 and from 0.3 --> 0.4, so why not from 0.4 --> 0.5? I mean, 0.5 has no date for release, so we can spend as much time as we want on it.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

GamingAssociation39

Oh OK should we all work together on the texture pack overhaul so the community has a texture pack that everyone loves because it's a piece from everyone playing the game.

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

I think this is an excellent idea.

*Subscribes to topic*
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

The thing that needs to change most about the default texturepack is the crack_anylength texture.
What is SCP-055?

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Chem871 wrote:The thing that needs to change most about the default texturepack is the crack_anylength texture.
Couldn't say beter!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

CC10
GitHub: CC10MAGIC
In-game: CC10

by CC10 » Post

Now, that I voted, 9 out of 10 (actual numbers) agree that the minetest texture pack should be updated/changed.
Check out my emerald mod: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15485

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

The problem isn't that people don't agree with it. The problem is that nobody actually makes a significant artistic improvement. Only few textures actually get changed, and never with any real vision or coherence.

What really is needed is a single artist, or a group of artists that have proven to be capable of working together, to produce the needed 500+ textures and make a new artistic vision for minetest.

Anything short of that is a repeat of the current situation, and the outcome will therefore be the same as well.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Sofar, maybe a team needs to be put together.
What is SCP-055?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I think it could be worth doing a fundraiser to hire an artist to overhaul textures
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

If there would be no set time frame, it is definitely possible to do as solely a contribution.
A team of 3 is the optimal size, and has to be people who can work well together, and are all open minded with no egos in the mix.

Being done as a contribution, as such a project would be great for anyone's portfolio, in various ways.
A Wonderful World

GamingAssociation39

Attachments
Screenshot (181).png
Screenshot (181).png (121.16 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
grass.png
grass.png (121.78 KiB) Viewed 1297 times

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

GamingAssociation39, what program is that? I use Krita to make my textures.
What is SCP-055?

GamingAssociation39

Chem871 wrote:GamingAssociation39, what program is that? I use Krita to make my textures.
Paint.net

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

And it's awesome :D

if you're on linux, try pinta too.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

MysticTempest
GitHub: MysticTempest

by MysticTempest » Post

I really like the idea of an official texture pack update for Minetest. There's definitely things I feel can be improved.
But, to add onto what Sofar mentioned about having a unique vision, and coherence. Y'all really should create an artistic design document for this.

Preferably as detailed as possible. Regardless if it's left open to community contributions, or an artist is hired. Having a clear plan would go a long ways to helping.

Here's an example based on my own opinions. Category topics, some basic guidelines, and mention the texture name/s so people have specifics to work off.
---------------------------
Texture size:
16x

Theme/Goal:
Vibrant, improve overall visibility, and coherence.

License:
CC-BY-SA 4.0

General:
Textures should ideally be created, or at least tested in a 64px by 64px image to catch any tiling issues that may surface. Before cropping the size to a 16px image.
Unicolor lines in textures shouldn't be longer than 4px across; unless it's absolutely needed. Add slight shading & noise where needed to reduce the chances of a plastic look.
Also, try to avoid Anti-Aliasing too much; as it reduces visibility.
Create the base textures first, and reuse textures where possible(This is already done to an extent; like with sand related nodes. However, it should be applied to other stuff as well; like the cobblestone issue I mentioned below).

Trees:
All trunks should have square cores; so none stand out[ie. Jungle]. - (default_*_tree_top.png)
Barks should be distinguishable on their own. Either through varying color, or design[fixes Pine/Acacia looking too similar]. - (default_*_tree.png)
Leaves should have some background shading to improve visibility; reducing noise. - (default_*leaves.png,default_pine_needles.png,)
Saplings should use the same colors as their respective leaves & trunks nodes. And, preferably be drawn to the same shape as their fully-grown selves for easy identification. - (default_*_sapling.png)

Ores:
Ores especially, should not have any singular, horizontal lines longer than 4px. This will help break up the ore contents into more believable chunks. - (default_mineral_*.png)
The ore colors should also be very distinguishable as it will also affect tools, items, and nodes derived from them.
But keep the design consistent. For example; all ores are horizontal lines, or all ores have chunks greater than 2x by 2px blocks. Don't make some ores have lines, and some blocks.

Tools:
Tool heads should have a dark, 1px outline on them to improve visibility.- (default_tool_*.png, farming_tool_*.png)

Stone nodes:
Repeat of what I mentioned in the "General" section. Mostly to fix the default stone's tiling & contrast issue[applies to stone derivatives as well.]. - (default_stone.png)
Cobblestones, should preferably look the same as well. Cobblestone, Mossy Cobblestone & Desert Cobblestone. This fixes Desert Cobblestone standing out from the others. - (default_*cobble.png)

Etc...
==============================
Overall, just an example of some things I'd like to see improved on in the official texture pack. But, a good design document based off of community input would be a good start before jumping the gun on creating textures.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

MysticTempest wrote:Etc...
A palette with good contrasting colors ranging from bright and colorful to near-black.

100Toby1
In-game: 100Toby1

by 100Toby1 » Post

Hey. Sorry I haven't commented before, I'm not very active on the forums. I've been working with GamingAssociation39 on the texture pack since he brought it up on the Minetest Discord, and I'm very active over there. We have a repository here: https://github.com/Gerold55/MineTest_Te ... k_Overhaul
You should join the Discord server if you want to see screenshots and contribute to the development :) https://discord.gg/EFfuaat

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

+1 The current textures seem to be missing something. 100Toby's textures look great!
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

GamingAssociation39

Re: MineTest Texture Pack Overhaul

Many updates have been added to the texture pack.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

I love this texture pack already. The stone and gravel are by far the best textures I've ever seen. But, I have a few suggestions that I think will make this texture pack even better.

1) White mortar instead of grey on the bricks.
2) Slightly greener aspen leaves.
3) More transparent leaves.
4) Silver sand tinted yellow, not blue. Fits better with stone when underground.
5) Mese ore more centered in stone, not all the way up to the edge of the block
6) Green bottom for junglegrass, not brown, or at least brown that matches rainforest litter better.
7) Brighter yellow savannah grass, this one looks wet.
8) More deviance in sand because sand looks almost like one color from a distance. Same for snow.
9) Slightly dryer looking dirt.
10) Bigger rose.

Those are the only suggestions I have because this texture pack is so good.

GamingAssociation39

The aspen leaves are yellow because in real life they are yellow. I'll work on the mortar on the bricks but have been having a little trouble with it.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:The aspen leaves are yellow because in real life they are yellow. I'll work on the mortar on the bricks but have been having a little trouble with it.
Aspen trees are known for their yellow colors, but only in fall. In spring and summer they are green, just like any other tree. I dislike having the aspen tree leaves being yellow for that reason - it suggests that the season is fall, but the other trees have green leaves. And yes, you'll have a hard time finding photographers who want to photograph an aspen tree in spring.

I dislike the texture pack for various other reasons - it's way too saturated which makes everything boring - you should create a suitable range of saturation so some things stand out. There's also not enough V range - everything is just bland and washed out due to lack of contrast. It needs a lot of work. Don't let that stop you, though.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:The aspen leaves are yellow because in real life they are yellow. I'll work on the mortar on the bricks but have been having a little trouble with it.
I didn't mean totally green. I meant tint them green so that they aren't flat out yellow so that they're a greenish-yellow.

100Toby1
In-game: 100Toby1

by 100Toby1 » Post

v-rob wrote:I love this texture pack already. The stone and gravel are by far the best textures I've ever seen. But, I have a few suggestions that I think will make this texture pack even better.

1) White mortar instead of grey on the bricks.
2) Slightly greener aspen leaves.
3) More transparent leaves.
4) Silver sand tinted yellow, not blue. Fits better with stone when underground.
5) Mese ore more centered in stone, not all the way up to the edge of the block
6) Green bottom for junglegrass, not brown, or at least brown that matches rainforest litter better.
7) Brighter yellow savannah grass, this one looks wet.
8) More deviance in sand because sand looks almost like one color from a distance. Same for snow.
9) Slightly dryer looking dirt.
10) Bigger rose.

Those are the only suggestions I have because this texture pack is so good.
Thanks a ton! I love the suggestions, I agree with most of them.
I'm not sure what you mean about 3). The leaves can't have less alpha if that's what you mean. I can put more emptiness in the textures though.
6) I dont know if green would be good but I'll tint it and see how it looks.
9) I'll try and adjust the hue.