[WIP][16x16] Pixelicious

CrayZ
In-game: CrayZ

[WIP][16x16] Pixelicious

by CrayZ » Post

So, this is the place where I'll be putting my progress on making my first texture pack for MT. Please help me make this a well-working and a good looking texture pack.

Progress:
- Added default grass textures (v0.1)
- Added default dirt texture (v0.1) (this looks awful right now -_-)

Thanks for everyone who thinks this will turn out good :-)

--
CrayZ
"I always wanted to play a game full of peace, creativity and joy, then I found Minetest ... "

CrayZ
In-game: CrayZ

Re: [WIP][16x16] Pixelicious

by CrayZ » Post

Also, what do you think about the dirt texture, is it good to continue working on it, or I should change the concept?
I'm asking because I can make it blend nicely with dirt next to it, but there's no sense to do that if the texture by itself is not blending with MT. So, what do you think?
"I always wanted to play a game full of peace, creativity and joy, then I found Minetest ... "

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

CrayZ - great job as usual. The dirt seems perfectly alright to me - why would you want to change it? As sofar said, don't try to imitate the default textures - you have a style of your own. Kudos again! :)
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

I think that grass and dirt textures as seen on the screenshot go together very well. I am not sure whether this would look same as good in the game, but I like what you've shown here.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Exercises, and explanation why:

Graphics are more than just a bunch of pixels. Colors can look weird together that you thought were fine, and some weird color combinations are surprisingly pleasant on the eye. Contrast range, saturation range etc. need to match otherwise things look out of place.

- play with saturation levels. If you like to oversaturate bitmaps, everything should be oversaturated. If you like undersaturated, everything should be undersaturated.
- play with contrast levels. If one texture has a large contrast range, everything should have a large contrast range to match.

- Make a texture pack with the basic mapgen textures: grass plant, grass block, dirt block, stone block, sand block, tree trunk, tree leaves
- Make them all at the same time, show them side-by-side. Create a little minetest scene where they all appear naturally so you can see the effect in-game, but also always keep them open in your paint program if you can.
- Make a color palette up front and stick to it.

Graphic design isn't something new, there is a ton of online material you should read and experiment with. Things like Color theory, photography basics, printing techniques, additive vs. subtractive coloring, etc. are all tools you should familiarize yourself with that will make you more effective as an artist, and you'll be able to use to create things that people will love without most people understanding why they love it, and avoid many beginner mistakes.

BTW, the grass plant and dirt textures you have are a great start. Good luck!

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Nice TP you've started! You seem very talented continue working on it, I cna't wait to see how it goes! +1
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!