[16px] MysticTempest's REFI_Textures

MysticTempest
GitHub: MysticTempest

by MysticTempest » Post

Hi, I've been working on a 16px texture pack; initially for MineClone2. But, I also have support for Minetest Game.
*(And, now I have some partial support for much more.)

My goal was to recapture the Minecraft aesthetic; similar to the Faithful TP. However, I prefer TPs that are libre licensed, & 16px resolution.
So, I've used a lot of references to get the textures pretty close to that Minecraft aesthetic. But, everything's been drawn from scratch over the past couple years(Starting in Late July 2017).
I've also worked on "improving" the visibility of some nodes/items in an attempt to make them easily distinguishable; as well as aligning them with my personal preference.

This is still a WIP, and textures may be subject to lots of tweaks. However, it's currently up-to-date.
For now, I'm working on the occasional fix; or update as 5.* or MCL2 is developed and adds nodes. I will continue working on this TP at a leisurely pace, but it's currently usable.

---------------
The 'textures' sub-folder now holds the supported textures for Minetest Game, and MineClone2.

Also included in this package is the following:

Also included in this package is the following:
  • Partial support for the game, SkyFactory.
    * bonemeal
    * elepower
    * farming(_redo)
    * fromscratch
    * melterns
    * protector
  • Partial support for the mods used by mcimport in converted worlds.
    * basic_materials
    * bedrock
    * crops
    * flowerpot
    * hardenedclay
    * lapis
    * mesecons
    * nether
    * quartz
    * signs_lib
    * vines
    * xdecor
  • Some templates for character skin creation.
  • Support for a few Minetest Game mods.
    * 3d_armor
    * bakedclay
    * bees
    * caverealms
    * elevators
    * hbhunger
    * leads
    * mobs_redo
    * new_fireworks
    * pipeworks
    * shop
    * simple_robots
    * stamina
    * thirsty
----------------

====================
License: CC BY-SA 4.0 - (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/)
Author: MysticTempest

Download:
REFI_Textures:
https://github.com/MysticTempest/REFI_T ... master.zip

====================
Preview screenshots for "REFI Textures"
--------------------

Minetest Game Preview:

MineClone2 Preview:

==============
Resources:
------------------
QMAGNET's Test Map for Resource Packs and Map Makers(Slightly modified, but used to display the MineClone2 version of my textures):
https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/m ... ks-and-map

Simple Texture-Pack Test Map(used to display the Minetest Game version of my textures):
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19862

My fork of mcimport for use with MineClone2(what I used to convert QMAGNET's map):
https://github.com/MysticTempest/mcimpo ... l2_support

Wuzzy's MineClone2 game:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16407
Last edited by MysticTempest on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:30, edited 30 times in total.
REFI_Texture Pack: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20355 - Supports MineClone2 up to v0.80, MTG, and more.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: [16px] MysticTempest's REFI_Textures (WIP)

by texmex » Post

Whoa, this looks great! MineCloners especially should be interested in this.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Looks great, but some of the colors are definitely off, like the green-gold compass and the blue iron trapdoor.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Yes, there are errors with some colors. Orange lava, green fire, teal snow?

Attachments
screenshot_20180624_185440.png
screenshot_20180624_185440.png (719.82 KiB) Viewed 6268 times

MysticTempest

by MysticTempest » Post

Thanks, glad y'all like it!

In terms of colors; most of them are intentional and based on personal preference. Like having the snow darker to reduce virtual "snow-blindness"; especially when playing at night.
But, I get that it's not to everyone else's liking.

I'm not going to change everything that's requested. But, I'll certainly do some.
So, I've made a separate branch for "rolling releases" for quicker access to changes, and then I'll bulk upload to the master branch later when I have a good chunk of changes queued. (See main post for downloads)

In there I currently touched up the fire, snow and trapdoor. Hopefully, those are a little better for y'all.

PEAK
In-game: PEAK

by PEAK » Post

MysticTempest wrote:Like having the snow darker to reduce virtual "snow-blindness"; especially when playing at night.
It's not about the brightness -- the hues are definitively wrong. I suppose some of the files are simply corrupted. For instance: the goldblock is actually green - like emerald. I dont't believe that it is so intented.

Otherwise this texturepack would be really great.
I am okay with using the screenshots in all my posts for the website of Minetest (http://minetest.net).

MysticTempest

by MysticTempest » Post

PEAK wrote:
MysticTempest wrote:Like having the snow darker to reduce virtual "snow-blindness"; especially when playing at night.
It's not about the brightness -- the hues are definitively wrong. I suppose some of the files are simply corrupted. For instance: the goldblock is actually green - like emerald. I dont't believe that it is so intented.

Otherwise this texturepack would be really great.
Ah okay. I went ahead, and pushed some more changes to the rolling releases to tweak the gold related items and clock into being more on the yellow side.
REFI_Texture Pack: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20355 - Supports MineClone2 up to v0.80, MTG, and more.

PEAK
In-game: PEAK

by PEAK » Post

Thank you for the update!

The greenish end stuff still needs getting used to, but anyway I like it.
It's way better than "PixelPerfection".

By the way: I think the sheep textures need to be fixed…
I am okay with using the screenshots in all my posts for the website of Minetest (http://minetest.net).

MysticTempest

by MysticTempest » Post

PEAK wrote:Thank you for the update!

The greenish end stuff still needs getting used to, but anyway I like it.
It's way better than "PixelPerfection".

By the way: I think the sheep textures need to be fixed…
Thanks!! Glad you like the updates; all y'alls feedback was helpful!
And, wow; those are some nice buildings you created! Very creative use of the blocks.

I tweaked a few more colors and textures just recently.
For MCL2; I went ahead and tweaked the sheep a bit. Mostly adding a bit more detail to their fur, and fixing under the chin and feet which had fur in the wrong places; as well as fixing the feet not having hooves.
I unfortunately can't do anything about their fur colors though; as MCL2 uses hex alpha code to color them.
http://repo.or.cz/MineClone/MineClone2. ... ep.lua#l11

For MTG; I updated the map/screenshot to mostly show off the new 5.0 butterflies; after refining them a little more & fixing the skeleton key to be golden per it's crafting recipe.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [16px] MysticTempest's REFI_Textures

by Wuzzy » Post

Woohoo! Free textures for MCL2. More variety! Awesome!

Questions:
Could you maybe try to start a collaboration with the original mcimport author to make this tool compatible with both MTG and MCL2? It might simplify things as it reduces redundancy.

Would it be possible to merge this into a single texture pack that works both in MTG and MCL2? Instead of splitting it in 2 packs …
In MCL2, I was careful in re-using MTG texture names if and only if some texture had an exact MTG equivalent (e.g. “default_dirt.png” instead of “mcl_core_dirt.png”). Or did you spot any problems or collisions? If so, please report them so I can fix this in MCL2. I don't want to get in the way of texture makers. :-)

Finally: Really everything drawn by you? Nothing verbatim copied from That Other Game? If yes, that's really awesome! :-)

MysticTempest

by MysticTempest » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Woohoo! Free textures for MCL2. More variety! Awesome!

Questions:
Could you maybe try to start a collaboration with the original mcimport author to make this tool compatible with both MTG and MCL2? It might simplify things as it reduces redundancy.
Sure, I'll try look into it/see if they're willing to have that feature. The original is over on the Minetest-tools group account. I know currently they diverge on the MTG version downloading an assortment of addon-mods, the map_content.txt file for node mappings, and a few changes on the backend. Since MTG has an updated doors mod, it has to convert those a little differently in the code.

Wuzzy wrote: Would it be possible to merge this into a single texture pack that works both in MTG and MCL2? Instead of splitting it in 2 packs …
In MCL2, I was careful in re-using MTG texture names if and only if some texture had an exact MTG equivalent (e.g. “default_dirt.png” instead of “mcl_core_dirt.png”). Or did you spot any problems or collisions? If so, please report them so I can fix this in MCL2. I don't want to get in the way of texture makers. :-)
I mostly separated texture packs out of personal preference.
But, yes; there were a few issues. I took a quick look just now. I think the only ones with actual issues, and not personal preference were the following.

Most noticeable was the "gui_hotbar.png":
8 inventory slots for MTG
9 inventory slots for MCL2

MTG has always on powered rails:
carts_rail_*_pwr.png

MCL2 powered rails have an on/off state:
carts_rail_*_pwr.png = These are currently used for "Off"
mcl_minecarts_rail_golden_*_powered.png = These are currently used for "On"

MTG Wool has different greens:
wool_dark_green.png = green colored
wool_green.png = bright lime colored

MCl2 Wool:
wool_green.png = green colored
wool_lime.png = lime colored

Cactus:
default_cactus_side.png
default_cactus_top.png

Both, have the same texture name, but MCL2 has a smaller nodebox so that the spikes stick out, which means a slightly smaller texture.
While MTG has a full nodebox, and fullsize texture.
--------
Other then that; merging isn't too much of an issue.
Wuzzy wrote: Finally: Really everything drawn by you? Nothing verbatim copied from That Other Game? If yes, that's really awesome! :-)
And, yea I made them all from scratch. I started in mid-to-late 2017, so it's been a good year and a half or so of work.
^-^ Thanks!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Alright, I just pushed some texture name changes to fix the problems.
https://repo.or.cz/MineClone/MineClone2 ... 374768e1f6
https://repo.or.cz/MineClone/MineClone2 ... a85d914565

If you ever run across “problematic” textures again, please tell me in the MCL2 thread or the bugtracker.

Please do not update your texture pack just yet to avoid screwing over players. Wait for the next MCL2 release first.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

OK, now the new version is out, I renamed a couple of textures, as promised.

MysticTempest

by MysticTempest » Post

Wuzzy wrote:OK, now the new version is out, I renamed a couple of textures, as promised.
Thanks, for the heads up; and the texture name changes!! It helps a lot. ^-^

I've gone ahead, and updated & release the new combined texture pack here. While the ContentDB version should update once approved.

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

This looks quite good! The one odd thing that I noticed was that chickens have green feet, though.
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

github wrote: Sorry, we had to truncate this directory to 1,000 files. 603 entries were omitted from the list.

texmex

by texmex » Post

twoelk wrote:
github wrote: Sorry, we had to truncate this directory to 1,000 files. 603 entries were omitted from the list.
Since v5.0.0 got released there’s no reason to not put the textures into mod-named subfolders. :)

MysticTempest

by MysticTempest » Post

leo_rockway wrote:This looks quite good! The one odd thing that I noticed was that chickens have green feet, though.
Glad you like it, and whoops thanks for the heads up!

Here's a temporary download of a fixed version(light orange feet); as it'll probably be a bit before I push another big update:
mobs_mc_chicken.png
mobs_mc_chicken.png (790 Bytes) Viewed 6268 times
texmex wrote:
twoelk wrote:
Since v5.0.0 got released there’s no reason to not put the textures into mod-named subfolders. :)
For the base textures for each game; I intend to keep them that way. Foremost being for backwards compatibility.

But, it also doesn't really make sense for my texture pack. As I'm supporting 2 games.
So, while some textures may be shared between games; not all mod folders are similarly named.

Though, I'm not against using folders for add-ons, or when I support mods outside of MTG and MCL2.
I actually have one already for my character skin templates.

texmex

by texmex » Post

You don’t have to conform with a game-specific folder structure either of course. You can just use a generic classification such as ”wood”, ”stone”, ”ore” or similar.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

There needs to be a version of this texture pack with the correct colors.

minerman

by minerman » Post

Wuzzy wrote:There needs to be a version of this texture pack with the correct colors.
What's wrong with it? i think the colors are fine

texmex

by texmex » Post

minerman wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:There needs to be a version of this texture pack with the correct colors.
What's wrong with it? i think the colors are fine

You don’t see it?

minerman

by minerman » Post

texmex wrote: Image

You don’t see it?
Ah i see, it's the flame and lava color, right? I never played minecraft before sorry.. Is there any way we coud request fix?

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Your textures are great, majestic, and breath-taking, I think they should replace the Minetest Game default textures.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

MysticTempest

by MysticTempest » Post

MHL wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 01:56
Your textures are great, majestic, and breath-taking, I think they should replace the Minetest Game default textures.
Hey, thanks a lot!! Glad to hear you enjoy them so much. ^-^