[128px] hand-painted texture pack by Drummyfish

drummyfish
GitHub: drummyfish

[128px] hand-painted texture pack by Drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

This has now been released.

This is a 128 x 128 hand painted style texture pack. It is intended for vanilla Minetest. I rather focused on making quality textures than covering a large number of mods. You are welcome to expand this pack.

It is largely my own work, made with GIMP, but I have reused a lot of assets from other sources as well, and used techniques such as neural style transfer to make photo textures look like painted images. You can find the list of the most significant sources in the project repository. All assets I've used were taken from the public domain.

This pack is itself released into public domain under CC0 waiver, which means you can do absolutely anything: make modifications, use in other games, even commercially and without giving any credit. I welcome if you modify the pack and reshare your work. I ask only one thing (it is just a wish, not a requirement): please consider sharing your own work in the same way, under a free license.

Note that I'm kind of a Minetest newbie and may have messed something. Feel free to suggest improvements, I'll try to fix things.

repository: https://gitlab.com/drummyfish/minetest-texturepack
zip download: https://gitlab.com/drummyfish/minetest- ... master.zip
content DB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/d ... rummyfish/

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Original post follows.

Hello,

I'm completely new here. I just wanted to share an idea for a texture pack I'd like to make:

https://i.imgur.com/OlIRBnH.png

These are textures I made myself with GIMP for OpenGameArt and they're all CC0 (the whole pack would be CC0). I'd like to maybe get some feedback -- I am kinda new to Minetest as well and have never made any mods or anything, so advice is welcome.

Making these textures took me quite some time and I probably won't be able to create all the rest. The idea is to fill the remaining textures from existing CC0 works. If you know about any that fit the style, please share!

(BTW there is an awesome big CC0 collection of 32x32 tiles at OGA that could be used for another texture pack if anyone would be interested.)

I could also pull some textures from my 3D model collections here, here and here and make them tile.

I am working on some other projects right now and this pack is something I'd like to do in a near future, but can't tell you when exactly. Anyway, if anyone here wanted to use the textures from the mockup for any purpose whatsoever (even creating the pack before I get to it), here they are (again, consider it CC0).

If I get to work on this, I'll continue sharing the progress in this thread.

EDIT:

~~Let's keep a list of artworks I could potentially use:~~ Moved to GitLab readme.

EDIT:

The WIP pack is now hosted here:

https://gitlab.com/drummyfish/minetest-texturepack
Last edited by drummyfish on Thu Dec 06, 2018 21:31, edited 13 times in total.

gimp
GitHub: mrowlbio
IRC: Sasuke_Uchiha
In-game: Sasuke_Uchiha

Re: [WIP][Mockup] 128x128 hand-painted texture pack

by gimp » Post

Looks nice
thTKKKwDe0hkkFGbHye4NxNnnceXMJTL

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Hey, welcome to MT. Though I usually play with 16px texture size I find these interesting. You’ve accumulated quite some useful resources. It’d be fun to see this project develop!

drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

Trying to add more textures:

I currently don't know where I should host the project -- version control systems are probably not good for HD packs. Any tips?

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

I currently don't know where I should host the project -- version control systems are probably not good for HD packs. Any tips?
I run a Github organization where I host some CC texture packs, it works great for me. You’re welcome to join with a repo of your own. :)

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Looks nice!
What is SCP-055?

gimp
GitHub: mrowlbio
IRC: Sasuke_Uchiha
In-game: Sasuke_Uchiha

by gimp » Post

This is the best looking texture pack i've ever seen :O
thTKKKwDe0hkkFGbHye4NxNnnceXMJTL

Enrikoo
GitHub: Enrikoo
IRC: Enrico - Enricoo - Enrlco
In-game: Enrico - Enriko

by Enrikoo » Post

It will be the best texture pack for sure, but 61 FPS with shaders? :O

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Wow this texture pack is amazing! How complete is it?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

Wow, thanks for the interest! I keep slowly adding textures. It's definitely fun, but some of them (diamond, ice, ...) are very difficult to get right.
You’re welcome to join with a repo of your own. :)
Thank you very much for the invite :-) Unfortunately I've left GitHub, but I'll be more than happy if you or someone else mirrors it there. I'm using GitLab... I'll take a look at what their stance on hosting non-small binary files are.

EDIT: Looking at the actual size though, it's much smaller than I though - 2 MB at the moment. So I guess this won't be a problem for GitLab.
but 61 FPS with shaders? :O
Is Minetest that demanding? I even increased my view distance extremely far and I don't notice any performance drop. My GPU is GeForce GTX 950M.
Wow this texture pack is amazing! How complete is it?
Not much yet, roughly counting I have about 15 block textures, but also all the flowers and some other stuff. Some blocks will require just recoloring, but on some I spend hours because I can't get them right :/ It's very hard to create something glossy when in game it's shaded as diffuse - it often has this paper like look.

Anyway if I manage to upload it somewhere, which I want to do ASAP, people will be able to contribute, or continue the project if I burn out or something (hope I won't though :)).

EDIT:

okay, I uploaded it to GitLab: https://gitlab.com/drummyfish/minetest-texturepack

drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

Adding leaves and needles (they're kind of dense, but I find it adds a nice "cozy" feeling, maybe because you can hide below them):

drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

By the way, I'll appreciate help - I don't necessarily need it, but it could speed up and possibly improve the project.

If you can do handpainted art, or know somebody who can, and you/them are willing to contribute the work into the public domain (under CC0), feel free to send me your work - either here, or at GitLab.

It's also very useful if you find some CC0 (or possibly public domain due to expired rights, I think old paintings could hold some potential) works that could be reused. If you find something that's not in the list of sources at GitLab, please send it to me. (Try to search the Internet Archive, Wikimedia Commons, OpenGameArt, BlendSwap and similar sites.)

If you want to know which images I'm looking for, download the current repository from GitLab and take a look at which textures I haven't replaced yet (or which ones look ugly :)) - they're the ones that are still low res.

EDIT:

An idea for creating more textures: use deep learning to paint a photo texture in the handpainted style -- e.g. https://deepart.io/#. Just keep in mind that both the input texture and style image have to be CC0. Example:

drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

some textures I've got so far:

drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

some new textures:

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

Not bad.

The screenshot is in a wrong format, a texture_pack.conf file should be added and you can put the textures into subfolders (eg. sort them by mod).
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... _packs.txt
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

Thanks, will fix!

I now have more or less all textures and am working on polishing them, so I could release this soon.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Both adorable and well drawn. You're doing amazing at covering all the mods, too.

drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

Thank you, I try to cover some mods but unfortunately some big ones I don't have covered, the textures in the repo are just the default ones. I'm not sure if I'll be adding them before the release, because that would take a lot of extra time. But I'd like to add them eventually.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Quick advice:

1) give it a distinct name
2) link the ZIP download in this thread so people don't need to look around gitlab for the right download link

Also, maybe some installation instructions

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

drummyfish wrote:Hello,

I'm completely new here. I just wanted to share an idea for a texture pack I'd like to make:
Hi!
It's nice to see someone who actively contributes new textures :)) Your textures are very cool. Detailed but balanced. It's a nice feeling to play inside a buildings made of your pictures. Great work! Thanks for fun!

I hope that you will stay here longer and you will also have fun, just like those who play minetest with your testures. I am wondering if you will also cover technic mod with your texture style... ;)

BTW. Sofar's suggestions are very kind. The original name of this pack (Hand Painted Pack by Drummyfish) was too long for me so I renamed folder to "drummyfish". I think that is better name for texture pack ;) Also you mentioned that you are new here, so maybe you will be interested in the fact that authors posting their add-ons here post not only the URL to their repository, but also the URL to the ZIP of lastest stable release (aka master branch). It would be nice if you would like to consider editing the first post and adding a ZIP link. I think URL to your ZIP is https://gitlab.com/drummyfish/minetest- ... master.zip I think it would help younger colleagues to get to know your works ;) It's worth it.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Although the colour of grass is too intense for me, and it's not my preferable style too, it's definitely the most artistically refined pack for Minetest so far. I can see the hand of a true artist :) I've tried it out and I think it will greatly enhance imaginative potential of some devoted builders. Such packs change the ambience of particular worlds and thus enable ejoying Minetest worlds anew.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

SB66

by SB66 » Post

voxelproof wrote:Although the colour of grass is too intense for me, ......,
+1
also for me , the colour of grass in combination of dirt and stone let the worlds look too bright, for me

voxelproof wrote:it's definitely the most artistically refined pack for Minetest so far. I can see the hand of a true artist :) I've tried it out and I think it will greatly enhance imaginative potential of some devoted builders. Such packs change the ambience of particular worlds and thus enable ejoying Minetest worlds anew.
couldn't say it better....

drummyfish

by drummyfish » Post

Hello all,

I've been taking a little break, but want to get back to finishing the pack soon. I'll definitely take your advice in mind, will try to make the grass look better. I will also post a ZIP with the pack once it's complete!

Should I make a new thread for the release, or just edit the first post here?

EDIT: okay, I released it, we can potentially fix things on the go.

sofar
Developer

Re: [128px] hand-painted texture pack by Drummyfish

by sofar » Post

please consider releasing to the contentdb (easy, and will make it easier for users to install): https://content.minetest.net/

ChrisZ

Re: [128px] hand-painted texture pack by Drummyfish

by ChrisZ » Post

I've just registered on this forum to tell how impressed I am by your work, drummyfish! These textures are absolutely stunning, easily the best textures I've seen for Minetest so far! I hope you keep up the good work, maybe you can even cover some mods with it?

Anyway it's gorgeous and I wish this could be the default texture for the next major update of Minetest! The only thing to improve might be the bright green of the grass blocks as the others already pointed out. Apart from that it's great!

all the best
Chris