SnowSong sound and music pack

leo_rockway

SnowSong sound and music pack

by leo_rockway » Post

I contacted the author of the SnowSong sound pack originally created for Minecraft and she agreed to relicense it as CC BY SA 4.0. It includes sounds for all blocks and nodes as well as ambience music. I uploaded it to opengameart for archival purposes, so I'm sharing it here. I know it's not a texture pack, but since there is no "sound pack" section I figured I would post it in this subforum.

https://opengameart.org/content/snowson ... music-pack

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: SnowSong sound and music pack

by TumeniNodes » Post

This was very considerate of her.
Hm, seems the forum could use an Ambience section ; )
A Wonderful World

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

There are some good SFX and music in here. I can see some of the mob sounds being used for existing mob mods like farm animals. Quite a bit of content in here and its worth checking out for modders.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Well, bounce rate be damned, I've decided to add about a dozen music tracks to my server from this sound pack (there are about 3 other songs, not from this pack already installed that are CC-BY). I've vetted the ones I liked the most and felt would work well in my server. I'll await feedback from users before exploring this more. A random song has a chance to play once every 30 minutes or so with a small chance to skip the song. Average sessions are probably around 2 hours, so thats 4 songs in a session. Which leaves 12 unheard songs, so that should be enough variation for a long time without things getting stale.

I think music is underused in Minetest and I'd like to provide people with a more complete ambient experience if I can. Unfortunately, we don't have the fortune to cache media files on disk ahead of time like most other games, so the only way to get the media files to users is on the initial connection. I simply added a disclaimer on my server description along the lines of "the initial load time into the server may take a minute. Please be patient."

I didn't compress them beyond what was in the pack, as I found they do not compress very well. The tones get muddled at higher and lower ends too much and I felt that it didn't convey the feeling of the music as well. The 12 songs I added came out to be 30 MB and the biggest chunk of assets on the server, I'd expect.

Unfortunately with mpd, there is no way to allow a user to opt out of music. Its either on for the whole server or off for the whole server. I may add a voting plugin to allow users to majority vote to turn it off or on. Some users like the music, some probably won't, some people play the game muted anyways. (If you'd like to try it out, please feel welcome to. Just connect to Sara's Simple Survival Server)
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft