[64x64]Minetest faithful texture pack experiment [v1.1.1]

waldberg

In-game: 2_waldberg

[64x64]Minetest faithful texture pack experiment [v1.1.1]

by waldberg » Sat Aug 31, 2019 16:00

Hello friends...

That is the first topic by me – I have made a 64x64 texture pack using the default textures of the default game of Minetest, so there are faithful alike textures.
I was inspired to make it by philipbenr's 64pix texture pack and PaRaNoYa

It is a bit experimental because the textures were made with a really simple method and small effort so I do not know if you can tolerate it when playing – I can not recognize if they are too bad or not. So there is a task for you:
Write what you are thinking about it – Should I continue work on this texture pack/ are there single ugly textures or missing textures?

Every texture was generated the same way.(1416)

Supported Mods
-beds
-binoculars
-boats
-bones
-bucket
-carts
-creative
-doors
-dye
-farming
-fire
-fireflies
-flowers
-map
-nyancat
-player_api
-screwdriver
-stairs
-tnt
-vessels
-wool
-xpanes
-3darmor Modpack
-cottages
-ictools
-minerdream
-valleys

You do not have to post mod suggestions which I should support with the texture pack : ) If you like the pack I will update it in any case sometimes!

License
CC0

Request
Please use this texture pack only for an official Minetest client but not for forks. If you would do so anyway it would be legally and nobody would have a problem with it excepting me. I do not want it because the most of forks violates Minetest morally. Lel

Download
v1.0.1
|for Minetest version 0.4.15-5.0.0: MT0.4-style
|for Minetest version 0.4.15-5.0.0: MT5-style

Thanks for watching my first topic!
Last edited by waldberg on Sat Nov 02, 2019 21:58, edited 14 times in total.
My english can cause brain cancer

Hugues Ross

GitHub: Df458

Re: [64x64]Minetest faithful texture pack experiment [v1.0.1

by Hugues Ross » Sat Aug 31, 2019 17:37

I think the upscaling filter that you're using isn't enough to make something that looks nice.
However, if you put in the time and effort to clean up and polish the filtered textures afterwards, I think this would be a nice addition to Minetest's current selection of texture packs. We could always use more visual styles!

If you want to go that route, here are a few ideas:
  • A lot of diagonal lines and curves (especially on items) are winding up kinda jagged and chunky, straightening them up would be a good start
  • You could probably take some outlined textures (such as the progress bar) and make the outlines thinner, picking some smaller consistent width like 1 or 2 pixels. This will help mask the original resolution and give more of the high-res feel that you're aiming for.
  • For some grittier textures, it might be worth redrawing some regions to preserve that grittiness. It really depends on if you're going for a truly 'faithful' recreation or a simpler-looking aesthetic like what you currently have
  • In some areas, like the sand and grass, shaping the ends of certain lines into points would also be helpful. There are places where the original intent is clearly to have a tapered line, but the resolution made this impossible.

Good luck!

waldberg

Re: [64x64]Minetest faithful texture pack experiment[v1.0.1]

by waldberg » Sat Aug 31, 2019 19:30

Thank you for the nice ideas, your imaginations sounds very good and I also would like these stylistic changes. But for me there is a little problem - I am a very slight beginner in developing or making graphics like this. So I am not able to implement your ideas at the moment. Maybe I can try more sophistcated operations and find new methods more or less haply. But it will need much time to lern things like this : )
And if I possess the ability I would employ them for another texture pack or rather when it would change the style of the textures too much.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sat Aug 31, 2019 20:22

Well, my main concern is... did you get permissions from this couple kissing in your first image? xD

The end results of your method are interesting... it comes off as a sort of "painted" pack like done with oils which is kind of cool but, is as I assume probably done using a Gimp filter?

The only problem i see with this is, when people choose to use a 64px TP, it will be one with far more detail, to justify the impact on the FPS. I am wondering how these would look scaled down to say 32px. (probably a mess actually)

I would keep the license at 3.0 only because this is simply taking existing default textures and running them through a filter. And although I feel it is perfectly fine to use the updated/current version of the license, it seems to pose an issue with others.
Attachments
mtff3.jpg
(26.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Ich mag keine grünen Eier und Schinken, ich mag sie nicht Sam I Am

waldberg

by waldberg » Sat Aug 31, 2019 21:23

Yes. I used Gimp for filtering every texture.

Ok, I will change the license. Thank you!

Hume2

GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 09:18

Well, interpolation is not a simple thing. There are many methods of interpolation and much advice what to do but none of these methods are perfect and each of them is good for different purposes. There are some methods to interpolate pixel-art. However, to interpolate pixel-art correctly, you also need a knowledge of what kind of item is depicted in the texture. And without that, you can get various weird shapes.

I think, the best solution for you is clearing the textures manually after you scale them up.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

waldberg

by waldberg » Sat Sep 21, 2019 21:24

Confessedly I adjusted the filtering options for each (kinds of) textures and edited some of them when necessary...
But which weird shapes do you mean?
Last edited by waldberg on Wed Oct 30, 2019 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

waldberg

Update 1 [v1.1.1]

by waldberg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 19:27

Updated the texture pack [v1.0.1] ~~> [v1.1.1]

Added more textures. Look above for mod support
Screenshots will follow later at any time.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
I just decided to update the pack because I like to work on the textures and there are not many comments yet. But I think I have even learned a little bit how to go better about generating the textures.
Somewhen I will make updates for optimising textures.

Codesound

waldberg

Re: [64x64]Minetest faithful texture pack experiment[v1.1.1]

by waldberg » Fri Nov 01, 2019 14:52

Thank you for the motivation, Codesound!

Return to Texture Packs