[Nothing] Old

waldberg

[Nothing] Old

by waldberg » Post

Not any more
Last edited by waldberg on Fri Dec 11, 2020 21:15, edited 18 times in total.
My english can cause brain cancer

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

Re: [64x64]Minetest faithful texture pack experiment [v1.0.1

by Hugues Ross » Post

I think the upscaling filter that you're using isn't enough to make something that looks nice.
However, if you put in the time and effort to clean up and polish the filtered textures afterwards, I think this would be a nice addition to Minetest's current selection of texture packs. We could always use more visual styles!

If you want to go that route, here are a few ideas:
  • A lot of diagonal lines and curves (especially on items) are winding up kinda jagged and chunky, straightening them up would be a good start
  • You could probably take some outlined textures (such as the progress bar) and make the outlines thinner, picking some smaller consistent width like 1 or 2 pixels. This will help mask the original resolution and give more of the high-res feel that you're aiming for.
  • For some grittier textures, it might be worth redrawing some regions to preserve that grittiness. It really depends on if you're going for a truly 'faithful' recreation or a simpler-looking aesthetic like what you currently have
  • In some areas, like the sand and grass, shaping the ends of certain lines into points would also be helpful. There are places where the original intent is clearly to have a tapered line, but the resolution made this impossible.
Good luck!

waldberg

Old

by waldberg » Post

X
Last edited by waldberg on Fri Dec 11, 2020 21:17, edited 3 times in total.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Well, my main concern is... did you get permissions from this couple kissing in your first image? xD

The end results of your method are interesting... it comes off as a sort of "painted" pack like done with oils which is kind of cool but, is as I assume probably done using a Gimp filter?

The only problem i see with this is, when people choose to use a 64px TP, it will be one with far more detail, to justify the impact on the FPS. I am wondering how these would look scaled down to say 32px. (probably a mess actually)

I would keep the license at 3.0 only because this is simply taking existing default textures and running them through a filter. And although I feel it is perfectly fine to use the updated/current version of the license, it seems to pose an issue with others.
Attachments
mtff3.jpg
mtff3.jpg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 606 times
A Wonderful World

waldberg

Old

by waldberg » Post

X
Last edited by waldberg on Fri Dec 11, 2020 21:16, edited 3 times in total.

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Well, interpolation is not a simple thing. There are many methods of interpolation and much advice what to do but none of these methods are perfect and each of them is good for different purposes. There are some methods to interpolate pixel-art. However, to interpolate pixel-art correctly, you also need a knowledge of what kind of item is depicted in the texture. And without that, you can get various weird shapes.

I think, the best solution for you is clearing the textures manually after you scale them up.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

waldberg

Old

by waldberg » Post

X
Last edited by waldberg on Fri Dec 11, 2020 21:17, edited 4 times in total.

waldberg

Old

by waldberg » Post

X
Last edited by waldberg on Fri Dec 11, 2020 21:18, edited 3 times in total.

Codesound

Re: [64x64]Minetest faithful texture pack experiment [v1.1.1

by Codesound » Post

Beautiful textures pack!
Many thanks....

waldberg

Old

by waldberg » Post

X