Create Texture Pack page on wiki - update

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

Create Texture Pack page on wiki - update

by sirrobzeroone » Post

I did a bit of rewrite of the "Create Texture Pack" page on the wiki.

Not sure I've covered everything but hopefully a little more accurate for ver 5.1.

Happy to take feedback or simply update the article if I stuffed something up badly.

https://wiki.minetest.net/Creating_texture_packs

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

Re: Create Texture Pack page on wiki - update

by Hugues Ross » Post

Looks fine, just a couple of things I'd change.

First, I don't think the "Top 10 paint programs from techradar" link is very useful for texturing, most of the recommendations are more oriented towards digital painting and other high-res work that most texture packs don't need. This is personal opinion, but I think this list could be more useful for folks working at lower resolutions: here

Second, I also think it would be nice to give a mention to texture_packs.txt from the Minetest docs, there are some really handy features in there that I don't think are documented elsewhere.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Nice, good work. Here is some feedback on things that I noticed by reading through the article. If you think I'm rude in the comments, I am not. I am just super direct when it comes to development/feedback/etc. :)
ver 5.1
It it really too hard to write the ...sion, too? :)
full minetest_game mod list as of ver 5.1
It's a sentece, so please capitalize the first letter. It also is "Minetest Game" and not "minetest_game". "minetest_game" is just the folder name/game ID and should not be used to address "Minetest Game".
For example the base [Minetest Game] which ...
Wrong Link syntax. Also used external URL instead of the wiki page name. The wrong link syntax is used multiple times throughout the article causing a lot of links having brackets around them. Also: wiki pages should not be referenced by the external URL but by the wiki page name.
Copy Textures Over
This step is completely unnecessary, the whole section should be deleted, because it fulfills absolutely no purpose. Textures that are missing in a pack are substituted automatically by the original textures provided by the game or mod. Also: copying textures over might cause legal issues (no redistribution/mixing clauses in non-free licenses).
Other Options
Neither Dropbox nor Google Drive nor One Drive should be used to provide content. Use Git (any git provider is sufficient)
Make the Forum Post
Simply use (h)My Cool Headline Here(/h) instead of (size=150)(b)... (replace () with [], I had to use () because bbcode seems to get parsed within tags).
Hey don't forget to update the Wiki

The wiki page should be seen as deprecated since we have the CDB, but that's just my personalopinion. Also: Not everyone has or wants or gets wiki access.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Thanks both,

I'll go through update any edits that haven't already been done, good pointer on the txt file missed that one.

Edit: Think I got most of the updates might have missed the odd ver to version and minetest_game to Minetest Game, I'll re-proof today, Spelling and punctuation are far from my strong suits so i really do appreciate the feedback.

The only one I'm not sure on is:
Copy Textures Over
This step is completely unnecessary, the whole section should be deleted, because it fulfills absolutely no purpose. Textures that are missing in a pack are substituted automatically by the original textures provided by the game or mod. Also: copying textures over might cause legal issues (no redistribution/mixing clauses in non-free licenses).
Totally agree on the legal issues and I was more than a little worried giving mass copy over instructions. However how does an end user get a handy list of textures needed for each mod/game? Might be just my workflow but I tend to copy all files over then save over the top and sort by last save date to pickup those that I haven't been created yet. I've found myself missing files without a list to work from....open to suggestions :)....except maybe the create a txt file list of names as that will create more update issues down the road...

Hmm could give instructions to the user about how to create there own txt file list of all required files for a mod/game. That might be a good compromise, thoughts?

eg change "Copy textures over" to "Generate list of required textures" and adapt the instructions as such.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sirrobzeroone wrote:However how does an end user get a handy list of textures needed for each mod/game?
Something along ls /path/to/mods/*/textures > ~/textures and then look into the ~/textures file?

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Yes, is that the Linux command I know the windoze one is this with few sorting swtiches etc

Code: Select all

dir c:\path\to\minetest\games\minetest_game *.png/o/b/s >c:\temp\text_filenames.txt
Produces txt file bit like this:

Code: Select all

C:\path\minetest\games\minetest_game\mods\beds\textures\beds_bed_top2.png
C:\path\minetest\games\minetest_game\mods\beds\textures\beds_bed_under.png
C:\path\minetest\games\minetest_game\mods\beds\textures\beds_transparent.png
C:\path\minetest\games\minetest_game\mods\binoculars\textures\binoculars_binoculars.png
C:\path\minetest\games\minetest_game\mods\boats\textures\boats_inventory.png
C:\path\minetest\games\minetest_game\mods\boats\textures\boats_wield.png
C:\path\minetest\games\minetest_game\mods\bones\textures\bones_bottom.png
theres probably a way to truncate but havent found the switch yet.