Need a background texture

kahrl

Need a background texture

by kahrl » Post

Hi all,

I need an artist's help, as I need a texture but really suck at drawing one. I've seen awesome stuff in this forum, so I figured this would be the best place to ask. :D

Anyway, as some of you know I've been working on a chat console like those that exist in some other games: you can pull it down with some key (default key assignment is the backtick `), then it provides a scrollable backlog of chat messages and you can also type new chat messages and server commands. You can check out the code in my chatconsole branch, to test a different background you have to replace data/background_chat.jpg.

So far, the code works fine (at least in my tests on Linux) but the background is some dummy texture I made from a screenshot ;) I'd really love to have a new background, my requirements are:
  • White text must be easy to read on it. Although having a light background and making the text black would be possible too.
  • It should be seamlessly tileable because the console grows with the game window.
  • It shouldn't be semitransparent (or at least only have alpha values near 255) so that the user has full control over the console transparency (using the console_alpha setting).
  • It should have a free license so that celeron55 would be able to include it in the main distribution.
  • Otherwise, anything goes, be creative!
Thanks in advance.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

The background should be okay if the text is white. Otherwise, just use a black background, set the default alpha to 75%.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

I've been using your chat console on my local copy its great! with regards to a background texture I personally don't think it needs one, I just left the colour as black and set the alpha value to 225 which works perfect for me ^_^