[16px] The Pixel Pack

isaiah658

[16px] The Pixel Pack

by isaiah658 » Post

About

The Pixel Pack is a texture pack with a light happy feel. The idea came to me after realizing over the years I had already made a large portion of textures suitable for a texture pack. I decided to use them as a base and made the remaining textures. I might expand on it in the future, but for now it looks ok with the other textures in Minetest the Game. If you notice any issues, please let me know.

Supported Games/Mods

• default (from Minetest the Game)

Screenshots

Downloads and Links

ContentDB
Notabug.org Release
Notabug.org Issue Tracker

License

CC0

Attachments
screenshot.png
(358.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

Re: [16px] The Pixel Pack

by pampogokiraly » Post

This is a very awesome texture pack! I really hope you will continue this!
I have some blocks, that I don't really like, but in case you don't want my opinion, I put it inside a spoiler :D
+ Blocks I don't like
My mod (a bit old) request: Better enchant. My second mod: Old Broken Castle nodes. Search for aab01 to find my mods!

isaiah658

by isaiah658 » Post

@pampogokiraly Thank you very much for the feedback! I'm apparently a bit more colorblind than I knew. Some of the blocks you mentioned are the wrong color because I'm not seeing the right color. They will be fixed. Also I plan on trying to redo some of the textures you mentioned. After redoing those textures, I will post on here again to get some feedback from you on how they look before deciding to add them to the texture pack.
+Feedback response

pampogokiraly

by pampogokiraly » Post

Cool! Thank you so much! :D

(also I like when the metal textures look the same, more than when each of them have an unique texture...)
My mod (a bit old) request: Better enchant. My second mod: Old Broken Castle nodes. Search for aab01 to find my mods!

isaiah658

by isaiah658 » Post

pampogokiraly wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 08:02
Cool! Thank you so much! :D

(also I like when the metal textures look the same, more than when each of them have an unique texture...)
I released v1.0.1 with some of the obvious fixes. Gold is now gold. Pine wood is dark brown. Mese block is a tileable brick. Mossy cobble has less vines and more subtle vines. The padlock on the chest is smaller (surprisingly the smaller lock does look more like a padlock). You can check those out from the ContentDB.

Now for the textures I have not released yet and would like your thoughts on. I took a before and after screenshot of the metal blocks and ice. I accidentally included bronze in the screenshots twice. Let me know what you think. The ice still has lines because I don't really know any other way to make something look icy. They are more subtle though. If you know of any other examples that don't use the lines, let me know.
+Before
+After
Attachments
Before.png
(447.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
After.png
(426.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet

pampogokiraly

by pampogokiraly » Post

Wow! I really like the new changes! Now they look much like ice, and metal! :D

hex
IRC: hecks
In-game: hex hhhehehe

by hex » Post

isaiah658 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 17:02
Now for the textures I have not released yet and would like your thoughts on. I took a before and after screenshot of the metal blocks and ice. I accidentally included bronze in the screenshots twice. Let me know what you think. The ice still has lines because I don't really know any other way to make something look icy. They are more subtle though. If you know of any other examples that don't use the lines, let me know.
The "after" textures are actually a downgrade. Just adding blur and lowering contrast isn't how you improve a tile. There's nothing wrong with using a band highlight, as long as you do it right.

Here's some hints:

● Work on many tiles in a single file, so that you can make sure they fit one another. An easy way to make things consistent is to make them share a palette. You want all your tiles to look like they've been "snapped" in the same light conditions.

● Try to use a tiled preview when you work on a tile, if it's available.

● Work on tiles incrementally, first try to get the whole material right, then fill in the details.

● Any kind of specular highlight, including diagonal bands, must match the roughness of the material it's supposed to represent. Smooth materials will have thinner and brighter highlights, rougher ones will be more gradual.

● Metal mostly reflects light, it doesn't diffuse much. Without reflected light, the color of metal would be close to black, so all you see is a reflection of the environment. Metallic materials always tint what they reflect with their own color, a colored metal will never reflect pure white.

● Ice is much different. It's translucent, that is, it scatters and transmits light. It doesn't have its own color, because it's just water, and because it's not a metal, it reflects quite weakly even when polished. Any color that ice is gonna reflect will be borrowed from its surroundings, so it will mostly take on the sky's color - but less saturated. Specular reflections on ice, however, will not be tinted like they would be on metal, they're gonna be the same color as they came in.
Also, unless it's precisely cut and polished, ice is gonna be a little wavy, and have scratches and cracks all over it.

● Details and structure can provide visual hints about a material even if you can't exactly reproduce its look. Rivets and other structures can make sure that something is made out of metal, while scratches and cracks can differentiate ice from something like glass. A bit of noise in general can help things look less sterile.

● If you want something to look very smooth and polished, you can try to give it a darker color with highlighted edges. This of course works only if there are some edges to do this with, it won't do for a repeating tile like terrain.

● Put some effort into building your palettes. Don't just settle for one hue, you can change the hue together with luminance to make it less bland. Don't just hue-shift one tile to make another, either - work on each variant individually to make sure that it actually looks like the material you want.

The provided example art is licensed under CC-0.

The attachment limit is kinda silly. I can upload 3 images 1MB each but not a few extra tile examples adding up to less than 20 kB.
Attachments
palette.png
(954 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
1x.png
(2.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
4x.png
(3.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet

isaiah658

by isaiah658 » Post

@hex Thank you for the feedback and tips! I can see what you mean on how I failed to execute the metal shine banding properly. The examples you shared look great! The ice texture definitely helped me understand what I could be doing differently.

I went back and changed the light banding on my old metal textures to see how they look. It definitely looks like metal, but oddly enough I actually think my "bland" newer textures have an advantage. They blend in better with the rest of my textures and work better for building. From a side-by-side perspective, my bland textures are clearly inferior to yours. But when trying to use either my old textures or the examples you made for building, the high contrasting bands stick out too much. That was originally what I wanted, but now I'm not so sure.

With that being said, the colors I picked could be improved. Like you pointed out, I can do better than hue shifting a texture. I can also consider some of the detailing options you pointed out. The banding on my ice should be rougher and gradual.

I hope I don't offend you if I end up taking a different path. Additionally, I now have one person saying that they like the new textures I made and another saying they don't. I knew something like that would eventually happen. I want to please everyone, but I can't. It's art and at some point I'll have to make a decision on what I want even if others hate it. The fact that you wrote a long detailed post is very appreciated. I won't let it go to waste. If you ever end up making your own texture pack, I have a feeling it will be quite popular. You are a great artist!