Textures in Linux

Fallen_Phillip

Textures in Linux

by Fallen_Phillip » Post

Well, I read the previous post with a similar title, but it won't allow me to paste the images into the usr/share/minetest folder.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

You need sudo access, if you are using nautilus, open a terminal then type, without the quotes:
"gksudo nautilus"
Important, you must use gksudo and not sudo. Then, navigate to /usr/share/minetest (or /usr/share/games/minetest, not sure), then go in the data folder, make a backup of the old textures, then replace them with the new ones.

kddekadenz
GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Post

Using Linux Mint 11, I have to open the folder with expanded rights, to be able to paste something into it.

Fallen_Phillip

by Fallen_Phillip » Post

I got it working. :) Thanks!

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

You don't really have to replace the textures; you can put the texture pack anywhere and add "texture_path=(where you stored the pack)" to your minetest.conf, which should be in ~/.minetest if you installed the game.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

Maelstrom

by Maelstrom » Post

Menche wrote:You don't really have to replace the textures; you can put the texture pack anywhere and add "texture_path=(where you stored the pack)" to your minetest.conf, which should be in ~/.minetest if you installed the game.
This works pretty well. But you need a texture for everything to make it work. If some textures are not present it won't work.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

Maelstrom wrote:This works pretty well. But you need a texture for everything to make it work. If some textures are not present it won't work.
When I switch packs this way and a texture isn't available, the game just uses the default for that texture.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

Maelstrom

by Maelstrom » Post

Well I had a problem with a new created world, not showing any custom textures. After relogging in my local game the World was Black, showing every Tile was without any textures. Even the sky was not there.

Copying the missing texture Files in the custom Folder everything works fine.

It could be a problem with the stable build I am using but I doubt it would be any different.

I am using Linux Mint based on Natty and amd64. Installed the precompiled, stable .deb package available yesterday.

Edit: Nope. Something seems horribly wrong with my version. Maybe some sort of 3D bug. I will look into it.
Edit2: OK, I have found the Problem. I am spawning UNDERGROUND. Exactly 2 squares under my last visit. Nothing with the Textures. Sorry the bother.
Last edited by Maelstrom on Sun Nov 27, 2011 06:59, edited 1 time in total.

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

Sounds like this ;)

Maelstrom

by Maelstrom » Post

Thank you! :)