MineToon

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

Jordach wrote:
Gambit wrote:While recovering my MineToons stuff, I've gotten to working on my other pack the other day to update it some more. Hope that gets done some day.

I could probably convert this into a pack, however the colours might end up being dark. :P
That's rather unethical of you to do.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Gambit wrote:
Jordach wrote:
Gambit wrote:While recovering my MineToons stuff, I've gotten to working on my other pack the other day to update it some more. Hope that gets done some day.

I could probably convert this into a pack, however the colours might end up being dark. :P
That's rather unethical of you to do.
It was a joke, but then again, I am probably the most grumpy here; and of course laziest.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

is this blue-ish block near gold and silver mithril? if yes, then we have pretty much the same view on how should mithril look.

Cyberlaser12

by Cyberlaser12 » Post

Hi how do i install i have been through this topic and tried all solutions even ones that aren't for the version i have which is 0.4.4.
Sorry if i missed something.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Cyberlaser12 wrote:Hi how do i install i have been through this topic and tried all solutions even ones that aren't for the version i have which is 0.4.4.
Download the 0.4 version (see first post). Then copy all images of it into textures/all. Be sure to put them directly there (no subdirectories).

Cyberlaser12

by Cyberlaser12 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Cyberlaser12 wrote:Hi how do i install i have been through this topic and tried all solutions even ones that aren't for the version i have which is 0.4.4.
Download the 0.4 version (see first post). Then copy all images of it into textures/all. Be sure to put them directly there (no subdirectories).
Thanks i did try that but i thought it didn't work.
Just found out it was running in the background so i shut it down and its working now.
Sorry. Thanks anyway.

zoot686

by zoot686 » Post

After a few people suggested I use linux on my pc, my pc is now nonfunctional. It can't boot up any more and the other nonsense with that, my hard drive went dead with the installation. Now all my textures are gone. Sorry.

I saved most of it on my sd card. So we'll see once I get a new pc.
Hard disk went dead?.............that doesn't sound right.

You mighta' overwritten the master boot record with Grub or Lilo though.

If you didn't format the drive during the install, you might be able to get away with using a boot CD or thumb drive and recover all your textures from the hard drive, assuming you have something to store them to.
In fact, in if you didn't manage to get an install done, you might be able to just wipe the master boot record and get your old operating system to boot again.

What operating system "were" you running?

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

zoot686 wrote:What operating system "were" you running?
He was running Windows 7.

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

zoot686 wrote:
After a few people suggested I use linux on my pc, my pc is now nonfunctional. It can't boot up any more and the other nonsense with that, my hard drive went dead with the installation. Now all my textures are gone. Sorry.

I saved most of it on my sd card. So we'll see once I get a new pc.
Hard disk went dead?.............that doesn't sound right.

You mighta' overwritten the master boot record with Grub or Lilo though.

If you didn't format the drive during the install, you might be able to get away with using a boot CD or thumb drive and recover all your textures from the hard drive, assuming you have something to store them to.
In fact, in if you didn't manage to get an install done, you might be able to just wipe the master boot record and get your old operating system to boot again.

What operating system "were" you running?
No, it's dead as in dead. The hard-drive won't spin anymore. It can't be read which ever way.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

it can't be fixed, can it?

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Fixing it might cost more than a brand new hard disk.

Gambit, are you sure it's your harddisk? Sometimes it's the CPU (no more cooling for example) or the power supply unit (cleaning it sometimes helps).

I read a bit about it when my desktop passed away. Luckily with not much personal stuff on it. It's still broken, but for now I lack the spare parts to try everything.

Edit: typo's
Last edited by Topywo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Topywo wrote:Fixing it might cost more than a brand new hard disk.

Gambit, are you sure it's your harddisk? Sometimes it's the CPU (no more cooling for example) or the power supply unit (cleaning it sometimes helps).

I read a bit about it when my desktop passed away. Luckily with not much personal stuff on it. It's still broken, but for now I lack the spare parts to try everything.

We're in 2013, better buy SSDs. :P

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

Calinou wrote:
Topywo wrote:Fixing it might cost more than a brand new hard disk.

+1 :D

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Calinou wrote: We're in 2013, better buy SSDs. :P
Topywo's wallet starts crying :-/

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

Back on topic please. ~ wiggle wiggle

I'm close to finishing the 16x16 texture. Still have to work out some of the colors of certain ores, because people keep making too many ores and I'm running out of color to tell the difference.

But what I do need is a proper name for the new 16x16 texture pack. NuDefault wasn't the real name, just a beta title. Plus NuDe-fault... nude

So I'm hoping for some ideas for names that aren't related to Tolkien books or any book for that matter.

The MineToon texture pack is slowly coming back into revision since the death of my hard-drive. (Yes, it's dead. You can hear it rattle if you shake it a bit. So quite asking me to update drivers that are unnecessary.)

However, I decided to put that aside until the 16x16 is well and good.

Also, stop asking how to install the texture pack on this thread. There's a sticky in the board about that. Look that up. This is no place for tech support.

The end. Thanks.
Last edited by Gambit on Sat Feb 02, 2013 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Gambit wrote:Back on topic please. ~ wiggle wiggle

I'm close to finishing the 16x16 texture. Still have to work out some of the colors of certain ores, because people keep making too many ores and I'm running out of color to tell the difference.

But what I do need is a proper name for the new 16x16 texture pack. NuDefault wasn't the real name, just a beta title. Plus NuDe-fault... nude

So I'm hoping for some ideas for names that aren't related to Tolkien books or any book for that matter.

The MineToon texture pack is slowly coming back into revision since the death of my hard-drive. (Yes, it's dead. You can hear it rattle if you shake it a bit. So quite asking me to update drivers that are unnecessary.)

However, I decided to put that aside until the 16x16 is well and good.

Also, stop asking how to install the texture pack on this thread. There's a sticky in the board about that. Look that up. This is no place for tech support.

The end. Thanks.
At least there is light at the end of this tunnel. Also; be thankful that your new comp (might) be faster. And yes for the 16x pack I'd name it Pixelous.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Gambit wrote:Also, stop asking how to install the texture pack on this thread. There's a sticky in the board about that. Look that up. This is no place for tech support.

The end. Thanks.
The problem is, that the format of your texture pack is incorrect. One should override the default mod, but rather put all the textures in textures/all. So texture pack creators should offer just one folder with all the textures.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Gambit wrote:Also, stop asking how to install the texture pack on this thread. There's a sticky in the board about that. Look that up. This is no place for tech support.

The end. Thanks.
The problem is, that the format of your texture pack is incorrect. One should override the default mod, but rather put all the textures in textures/all. So texture pack creators should offer just one folder with all the textures.
That's true.

gambit, is this blue-ish block mithril?
http://screenshot.su/show.php?img=44558 ... 2d5f06.jpg

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

Jordach wrote:At least there is light at the end of this tunnel. Also; be thankful that your new comp (might) be faster. And yes for the 16x pack I'd name it Pixelous.
It's not a new computer, it's a new hard-drive. Also, Pixelous sounds kinda neat, although I might only keep the "pixel" term, not the "lous".
Mito551 wrote:gambit, is this blue-ish block mithril?
http://screenshot.su/show.php?img=44558 ... 2d5f06.jpg
No, that's silver. The other is iron. I don't even know what mithril is. It doesn't even sound real.
PilzAdam wrote:The problem is, that the format of your texture pack is incorrect. One should override the default mod, but rather put all the textures in textures/all. So texture pack creators should offer just one folder with all the textures.
Remember the good 'ol days when minetest only had one folder for all textures... sigh... Now it's riddled with libraries of folders that require so much clicking... sigh... The path address gets very long... sigh... and while editing, I some times get confused because there are so many folders... sigh...

Hope you know how I feel... sigh...

zoot686

by zoot686 » Post

Howz the write life of those SSD's?

I figure they'd work great for "read only" boot partitions(like thumbdrives)

And no, I'm not trying to be argumentive, I'm asking, as I've seen an awful lot of them on sale, but really haven't seen any real info about them.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Gambit, you do realize there is a folder within the Minetest Directory where Minetest-0.4.4-win32/textures/all is right? Place all of them there, then the blocks will run from there and not the default / installed mods unless you don't have the other textures made and ready.
Last edited by Jordach on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

zoot686 wrote:
Howz the write life of those SSD's?

I figure they'd work great for "read only" boot partitions(like thumbdrives)

And no, I'm not trying to be argumentive, I'm asking, as I've seen an awful lot of them on sale, but really haven't seen any real info about them.
The "life span of SSDs is so short" thing has been done to death. On most SSDs (those who use MLC, very few SSDs on the market use SLC as it is very expensive but lasts longer, and the Samsung 840s use TLC now, which has shorter life span), you can write 3000 times its capacitiy until it fails. This means a 128GB SSD will last 10,5 years on average if you write 10GB a day (and you probably write less than that). Just don't defrag them, though.
Last edited by Calinou on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

..and even then, that's 3000 times their capacity before a single flash block/cell/whatever fails and gets reallocated (like spinning rust, an SSD is over-provisioned to allow for this). They'll still keep running for a while longer after that before a hard failure.

"Enterprise" MLC-based SSD's can go way beyond this figure, at least another order of magnitude, but you'll definitely pay for it.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

Jordach wrote:Gambit, you do realize there is a folder within the Minetest Directory where Minetest-0.4.4-win32/textures/all is right? Place all of them there, then the blocks will run from there and not the default / installed mods unless you don't have the other textures made and ready.
I can't use 0.4.4 remember? I be too unholy to be allowed.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Gambit wrote:
Jordach wrote:Gambit, you do realize there is a folder within the Minetest Directory where Minetest-0.4.4-win32/textures/all is right? Place all of them there, then the blocks will run from there and not the default / installed mods unless you don't have the other textures made and ready.
I can't use 0.4.4 remember? I be too unholy to be allowed.
All you have to do is open the minetest.conf and add the lines:

Code: Select all

video_driver = direct3d9
enable_texture_atlas = false
and you will be all set!

Note: This is assuming you are using Windows XP/Vista/7/8.
Last edited by Jordach on Sun Feb 03, 2013 20:02, edited 1 time in total.