Is it possible to get textures into default?

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

Is it possible to get textures into default?

by Neuromancer » Post

Is it possible to submit improved textures to get approved for being included in default? If so, how?

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam
Location: Germany

by PilzAdam » Post

First of all: What does "improved" mean? Arent textures all about personal preference?

I also dont like changing textures all the time, people are free to use TPs if they dont like the default ones.

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

PilzAdam wrote:First of all: What does "improved" mean? Arent textures all about personal preference?

I also dont like changing textures all the time, people are free to use TPs if they dont like the default ones.
I can understand that, but there are just a couple textures that are just plain awful. Most are pretty good. The worst is papyrus, that really bright neon green. Apples are a close second. Why not fix these few bad textures when they are so easy to improve? I've already fixed both of these. The artwork of Minetest is important. It really changes the impression that is given of the game. When you are in game these 2 textures just jump out as fake. Here are mine. I can see someone making a case that my apples don't look as nice in inventory, but when seen on trees, Mine look much better. The papyrus is a no brainer. Textures are not about personal preference. A texture created by a 4 year old is not going to look as good as one done by a professional artist, and you can get universal agreement on that. Good artwork is just as important to a game as good code.

Image

Image
Last edited by Neuromancer on Tue Sep 24, 2013 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Menche
Member
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 00:43
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche
Location: An island in a lava lake.

by Menche » Post

I completely agree about the papyrus, the current texture makes it look like it's made of cheap plastic. There are several pull requests for minetest_game that add definite improvements to the textures, but nobody had merged them. This policy of not changing textures even if they're horrible isn't good.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

User avatar
philipbenr
Member
Posts: 1821
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 01:56
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi
Location: United States

by philipbenr » Post

enhancing the Minetest experience to put it commercially. Anyhoo, I definitely agree to make the papyrus more realistic and less plastic. The bricks too. When do you look at a real brick wall/foundation and think "Gee, that looks pretty neat" and then minetest; "crappy."

User avatar
Casimir
Member
Posts: 1189
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 16:59
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Flowers all have 100% saturation, that looks unnatural and strange as long as all the other textures are different. Screwdriver is 32*32 while all other textures are 16*16. The three planks of the wood don't fit with the nodeboxes (one plank cut in half). crack_anylength.png is using pure black. And so on...
PilzAdam wrote:What does "improved" mean? Arent textures all about personal preference?
Personal preference is one thing, good design is another. About the second you can argue. If you need a base for arguments here is one: http://opengameart.org/content/les-forg ... art-course

User avatar
RealBadAngel
Member
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 16:30

by RealBadAngel » Post

Good texture, especially 16x is hard to make.
We could make polls for problematic textures, gather some candidates and vote.
If, for example papyrus is ugly, lets gather a few other textures and lets pick the best one ( at least that most folks like).

User avatar
Evergreen
Member
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:22
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen
Location: A forest in the midwest
Contact:

by Evergreen » Post

RealBadAngel wrote:Good texture, especially 16x is hard to make.
We could make polls for problematic textures, gather some candidates and vote.
If, for example papyrus is ugly, lets gather a few other textures and lets pick the best one ( at least that most folks like).
That is probably the best way of doing it.
Back from the dead!

User avatar
Casimir
Member
Posts: 1189
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 16:59
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

RealBadAngel wrote:We could make polls for problematic textures, gather some candidates and vote.
viewtopic.php?id=5131

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Casimir wrote:
RealBadAngel wrote:We could make polls for problematic textures, gather some candidates and vote.
viewtopic.php?id=5131
This would be awesome! I'd be willing to create a new thread with a poll for papyrus if someone on the dev team would ok the winning texture being pulled into the game, or should we have someone with the authority to get it pulled into the game make the post? This is important because the default textures are the first impressions people get of the game. If they look polished, people are more likely to be interested.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Tue Sep 24, 2013 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Or we could create a Minetest Community Texture pack. Everyone in the community could contribute whatever textures they wanted to create, and we could work at creating a much improved texture pack. Our aim would be to make it so good that the minetest devs would want to pull our textures into the default game. I'd be willing to set up a project on github, and granting a few admin privs to pull in textures that were voted to be the best. Anyone interested in this?

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Or we could create a Minetest Community Texture pack. Everyone in the community could contribute whatever textures they wanted to create, and we could work at creating a much improved texture pack. Our aim would be to make it so good that the minetest devs would want to pull our textures into the default game. I'd be willing to set up a project on github, and granting a few admin privs to pull in textures that were voted to be the best. Anyone interested in this?
Already done, the Minetest Faithful community pack
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:Or we could create a Minetest Community Texture pack. Everyone in the community could contribute whatever textures they wanted to create, and we could work at creating a much improved texture pack. Our aim would be to make it so good that the minetest devs would want to pull our textures into the default game. I'd be willing to set up a project on github, and granting a few admin privs to pull in textures that were voted to be the best. Anyone interested in this?
Already done, the Minetest Faithful community pack
Are you referring to this one: viewtopic.php?id=6584. If so that's not what I had in mind. Faithful is an attempt to take the minetest textures and make them 32x. I'd like to improve the 16x ones that come with the game.

User avatar
Dan Duncombe
Member
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 21:11
Location: In the unknown depths of Earth

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Are you referring to this one: viewtopic.php?id=6584. If so that's not what I had in mind. Faithful is an attempt to take the minetest textures and make them 32x. I'd like to improve the 16x ones that come with the game.
I am. But you will see, they are not the default textures. They are people's idea of improved textures based on default.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam
Location: Germany

by PilzAdam » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Or we could create a Minetest Community Texture pack. Everyone in the community could contribute whatever textures they wanted to create, and we could work at creating a much improved texture pack. Our aim would be to make it so good that the minetest devs would want to pull our textures into the default game. I'd be willing to set up a project on github, and granting a few admin privs to pull in textures that were voted to be the best. Anyone interested in this?
Come on, do you really think that more than 2 people will have the same taste?

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:
Are you referring to this one: viewtopic.php?id=6584. If so that's not what I had in mind. Faithful is an attempt to take the minetest textures and make them 32x. I'd like to improve the 16x ones that come with the game.
I am. But you will see, they are not the default textures. They are people's idea of improved textures based on default.
I'm going to be brutally honest. MT Faithful has a long way to go. Much farther than the default textures that come with the game. There are maybe 10 percent of the textures in the default game that are awful. The other 90% are pretty good. In MT Faithful, there are 40% that are pretty good, and the remaining 60% are awful. That is because MT Faithful is trying to do to much. It takes days to get 1 texture to look really good. By going 32x now you have to create all the textures, and so most of them are going to look bad. I'd suggest starting with default 16x, and improving it one texture at a time because it is 90% of the way done. The other thing is this, most mods are created with 16x textures, so if you want to use them, now you have got a whole bunch more textures to create. Take a look at the immersive fun game using it's textures which are for the most part default textures with a few tweaks. It looks beautiful. Now run it with the MT Faithful texture pack. It looks horrible and would take many months to get up to even looking passable. I'm not knocking the talent of Zeg and Evergreen. Clearly they have created some beautiful textures, but to finish that texturepack to a fully polished state will take a ton of effort.

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:Or we could create a Minetest Community Texture pack. Everyone in the community could contribute whatever textures they wanted to create, and we could work at creating a much improved texture pack. Our aim would be to make it so good that the minetest devs would want to pull our textures into the default game. I'd be willing to set up a project on github, and granting a few admin privs to pull in textures that were voted to be the best. Anyone interested in this?
Come on, do you really think that more than 2 people will have the same taste?
Look at my papyrus texture in game and the default texture in game. Tell me that 9 out of 10 people won't prefer mine, and it's not even that good. It's just that the default papyrus is really that bad.

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

There are some beautiful textures in both default and MT Faithful. Maybe it makes sense to work together as a community to improve both at the same time. For example. Pick one texture. Say papyrus or bricks. Work on it for days in 32x until it is absolutely a work of art. Add it to the MT faithful pack. Then downconvert it to 16x and polish it again until it is a work of art and add it to default. This shouldn't take as long, because most of the work has been done by creating the 32x texture.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Wed Sep 25, 2013 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Evergreen
Member
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:22
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen
Location: A forest in the midwest
Contact:

by Evergreen » Post

Neuromancer wrote:There are some beautiful textures in both default and MT Faithful. Maybe it makes sense to work together as a community to improve both at the same time. For example. Pick one texture. Say papyrus or bricks. Work on it for days in 32x until it is absolutely a work of art. Add it to the MT faithful pack. Then downconvert it to 16x and polish it again until it is a work of art and add it to default. This shouldn't take as long, because most of the work has been done by creating the 32x texture.
Thank you for that! I need more people to work on mt-faithful, so fell free to make a texture or two. Right now we need a couple better textures, and more textures for mods support.
Back from the dead!

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Evergreen wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:There are some beautiful textures in both default and MT Faithful. Maybe it makes sense to work together as a community to improve both at the same time. For example. Pick one texture. Say papyrus or bricks. Work on it for days in 32x until it is absolutely a work of art. Add it to the MT faithful pack. Then downconvert it to 16x and polish it again until it is a work of art and add it to default. This shouldn't take as long, because most of the work has been done by creating the 32x texture.
Thank you for that! I need more people to work on mt-faithful, so fell free to make a texture or two. Right now we need a couple better textures, and more textures for mods support.
I said some things that I could have said better, but I hope it helps to get folks involved making MT Faithful and default texture packs better.
Here's a texture that some people might like and others might hate, but it's 32x and I hand drew it. WTFPL. If you like it, you can add it to your Faithful Texture pack.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9t7rut0p00uh ... yrus32.png

Here's the 16x version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr3etyc5qzod8 ... yrus16.png

Image 16x:
+ Spoiler
I could convert my earlier one for you to 32x but I started with the papyrus that was in default and I'm not sure what the license on that is. Maybe PilzAdam created it.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Wed Sep 25, 2013 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
philipbenr
Member
Posts: 1821
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 01:56
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi
Location: United States

by philipbenr » Post

silly, Why create textures for a 2d plant?

Image

Edit:
Image

There is my texture 64 by 64 that I use, not to be implemented, although I would be happy if the nodebox that I made would...
Last edited by philipbenr on Wed Sep 25, 2013 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mossmanikin
Member
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 16:26
Location: where we don't speak english.

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Here's a texture that some people might like and others might hate, but it's 32x and I hand drew it. WTFPL. If you like it, you can add it to your Faithful Texture pack.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9t7rut0p00uh ... yrus32.png

Here's the 16x version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr3etyc5qzod8 ... yrus16.png

Image 16x: I could convert my earlier one for you to 32x but I started with the papyrus that was in default and I'm not sure what the license on that is. Maybe PilzAdam created it.
That texture looks awesome!
Maybe it would look better with a bit more yellow in it, but the shape is great.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Mossmanikin wrote: That texture looks awesome!
Maybe it would look better with a bit more yellow in it, but the shape is great.
I think my daughter agrees about the yellow. She said "papyrus is not blue it's green, your texture makes me want to barf, I need to destroy all of it so I don't need to look at it." If you want to mess with it, you can.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Wed Sep 25, 2013 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Here's a greener shade of papyrus if you don't like the bluish shade


Image
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Sep 29, 2013 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Casimir
Member
Posts: 1189
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 16:59
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

The problem I have with all the papyrus textures is that they look like sugarcane or bamboos but not like papyrus. I tried something to look like actual papyrus, but it did not turned out well. Also real papyrus is mostly growing in water, not having their roots in the ground.
Image
Image Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], W3RQ01 and 1 guest