Texture Pack "Okay"

Brane praefect

Texture Pack "Okay"

by Brane praefect » Post

[16x16] This my vision of default texture pack for Minetest. I'm not saying that the existing default TP is bad or something like that, but it's kinda boring and sometimes even depressing... at least for me.
It is WIP (work in progress) and not all textures are done. I figured that it would be better to start working on textures which used for the most common materials. Stone, cobblestone, wood (all types), etc... I think you got the point.
License:CC-BY-SA 2.0
What textures have been changed so far:
Spoiler
Stone Cobblestone Mossy_Cobblestone
Stone_Brick Clay Brick_Block
Coal_Block Desert_Stone Desert_stone_Brick
Dirt Dirt_with_Grass Wooden_Door
Sand (color-corrected) Sandstone Sandstone_Brick
Desert_Sand (color-corrected) Wooden_Planks Junglewood_planks
Glass Leaves Apple
Axes Swords Furnace
Screenshots (comparing with original):
Spoiler
On the left is "Okay", on the right is Original:
Download:
Spoiler
Updates:
...updated the mossy cobblestone texture.
...added still_water_animation texture. alpha version

Right now I'm trying to create new smooth animations for water and lava. Since it has to be nice looped, I haven't found an appropriate open source app yet. Guess some plugins for GIMP should do. Looping this all by hand is rather masochistic.

Please leave your comments, critiques and wishes.

Have fun.
Last edited by Brane praefect on Sat Nov 16, 2013 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Brane praefect wrote:License:haven't figured out that yet. It's definitely gonna be open source friendly.
I'd recommend either CC-BY-SA, or CC0/WTFPL.

Edit:
TL;DR:
CC-BY-SA allows others to redistribute and modify your textures, as long as they give the same rights to other users (and credit you). CC0/WTFPL is basically public domain, except it also applies on jurisdictions where there's no concept of "public domain", or it is not easy to release works as such.
Last edited by kaeza on Wed Nov 06, 2013 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Have you heard of GPLv3?

Brane praefect

by Brane praefect » Post

I added screenshots on this page and chose the license.
People please, give me some kind of review or feedback about the texture pack. Do you like its mood and colors and patterns? Should I continue working on it?

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Brane praefect wrote:I added screenshots on this page and chose the license.
People please, give me some kind of review or feedback about the texture pack. Do you like its mood and colors and patterns? Should I continue working on it?
From the screenshots, it looks great! I'll have to try it out.
EDIT: Just tested it, and I love the bright vibrant colors.
Last edited by Evergreen on Mon Nov 11, 2013 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Cobble looks better with dark lines between the stones, i just did a similar thing myself for the broken stone in asteroid mod.

general3214

by general3214 » Post

Nice pack, but you should change the name; maybe "Anti-Depression"?

Brane praefect

by Brane praefect » Post

Evergreen wrote:From the screenshots, it looks great! I'll have to try it out.
EDIT: Just tested it, and I love the bright vibrant colors.
Thank you. Did you like the stone and cobblestone textures?
paramat wrote:Cobble looks better with dark lines between the stones, i just did a similar thing myself for the broken stone in asteroid mod.
It's not just changed color but completely revamped texture... in the first screenshot-left-side (cave) the stone and cobblestone textures are new. The stone texture may not seem so different from the original texture, 'cause of the poor lighting, but it's fully new texture.
general3214 wrote: Nice pack, but you should change the name; maybe "Anti-Depression"?
Maybe later I'll change it... When I had created the first 5 textures I said to myself "Hmm... I really like it, that looks okay." And I ended up with the word of my first expression for the name :)

Thank you for your replies.
Last edited by Brane praefect on Mon Nov 11, 2013 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

I love your colors all in all the game just looks more alive to me.
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

deasanta
GitHub: deasanta
IRC: deasanta
In-game: deasanta

by deasanta » Post

love the work - keep it up :)

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

I love the vibrant colors, this is certainly better than the default textures in a lot of ways. Keep it up. :-)
Back from the dead!

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

I like it! The colours are very good!

Brane praefect

by Brane praefect » Post

I have been having trouble to look at "papyrus" as real papyrus 'cos it looks more like bamboo or maybe sugar cane... but definitely not like papyrus in the real world. I'm confused what texture should i wrap it in. What do you guys think?

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

This is a very good low-res TP, normally I dislike super bright colors, but these are dead on. Keep it up!

I found this image of papyrus, hope it helps:
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

Your texture pack lacks a "screenshot.png" file which MT could display in the UI. Also the "info.txt" file which provides the description text displayed under the screenshot. And a license text should be there.

This is a good example that shows how to do it. :)

Josh

by Josh » Post

Looks nice! +1

Brane praefect

by Brane praefect » Post

Thanks guys for your replies.
I've been quite inactive since my last update on the texture pack because I started to learn a little bit of programming: C, C++ and Lua. :D Not at the same time of course, but in the order I've written. :) The projects, which I wanna participate in, are written in those languages (primarily).
Anyway, I'm gonna continue working on this texture pack, but in slow rate. I have this idea to make this a default texture pack... most probably I will combine my work with others, because I see that people already have created good textures with thought in mind "it's a better manifestation of the default one". So we might joint together and select our best textures to combine them into one beautiful, awesome, almighty texture pack :D .
Last edited by Brane praefect on Sun Dec 22, 2013 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

Brane praefect

by Brane praefect » Post

lightonflux wrote:Your texture pack lacks a "screenshot.png" file which MT could display in the UI. Also the "info.txt" file which provides the description text displayed under the screenshot. And a license text should be there.

Can you tell where I could find the information about texture pack creation technical details, tutorial or something? No such thing on the official wiki.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Brane praefect wrote:
lightonflux wrote:Your texture pack lacks a "screenshot.png" file which MT could display in the UI. Also the "info.txt" file which provides the description text displayed under the screenshot. And a license text should be there.

Can you tell where I could find the information about texture pack creation technical details, tutorial or something? No such thing on the official wiki.
Look at me and Zeg9's texture pack "Mt-Faithful". As he said, all you have to do is put a file called info.txt into the texture pack folder. Put the information that you want to be displayed info.txt. Also, make an image called screenshot.png in the texture pack folder. Put whatver preview you want in screenshot.png.
Back from the dead!