[Android] stu's unofficial android builds [5.0.0-dev]

stu

GitHub: stujones11

[Android] stu's unofficial android builds [5.0.0-dev]

by stu » Tue Dec 04, 2018 20:56

Minetest 5.0.0-dev build for Android

Here, I will try to provide some regular snap-shots of the current development version for testing purposes. I will update on an approximately weekly basis depending on what gets merged.

This is an an unsigned debug apk so it can be installed without a valid key, however, all the libs are built in release mode so this should have little or no impact on performance.

Installing

You will need to enable 'Unknown Sources' under ‘Settings’ > ‘Security’
For Android 8 it's slightly different

Git Hash: ce32a32

Download: Minetest-ce32a32.apk

MD5 Sum: c297ac288c6e24acc3afa5a013658271
+ older versions

Reporting Issues

Please post any problems with the apk or installation here, however, MT engine or game related problems should be reported on the appropriate github issue tracker, cheers!

Warning

If you have an existing installation of minetest on your device then it is important that you rename your current ‘Minetest’ directory before installing this. This version will overwrite the data in that folder, making it difficult to return to 0.4.x if you wish.
Last edited by stu on Tue Dec 11, 2018 20:02, edited 7 times in total.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Android] stu's unofficial android builds

by paramat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 08:16

Thanks for this.

We really need testing at the moment due to the large amount of Android improvements that have recently been made and the release of MT 5.0.0 approaching.
The intention for MT 5.0.0 is that the Android app is overall better than any of the forked apps, so that we can convince the majority of players on servers to use the official app, which is free, has no ads or pay-for-privilege, and none of the many irritating things these forked apps do.

AspireMint

GitHub: AspireMint
IRC: AspireMint
In-game: AspireMint

by AspireMint » Wed Dec 05, 2018 23:42

Renaming folder did not help me, i had to uninstall old version.

Clouds, sun...

...stars and moon! Yay!

Controls are much better. Than you!

(Bug: https://i.imgur.com/ImRYMYA.jpg --> https://i.imgur.com/DTe1kZA.jpg )

Edit: after install it says its null.21 version o.O

dawgdoc

GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 02:49

How far back in Android will it work? As far as KitKat, 4.4?

Of course I could reformat the tablet and just try it.

stu

by stu » Thu Dec 06, 2018 18:06

AspireMint wrote: after install it says its null.21 version o.O

Thank you for testing, It seems I had cloned MTG in the wrong directory, I am very sorry about that. The apk download has now been updated if you care to try it again.

dawgdoc wrote:How far back in Android will it work? As far as KitKat, 4.4?

The minimum target is currently android 4.0 (IceCreamSandwich) however, some have reported crashes with android 4.x since switching to a shared stl (libc++). I would be very interested to know if it works for you.

kestral

GitHub: kestral246

by kestral » Fri Dec 07, 2018 00:56

I first tried your version from two days ago, with md5sum = bd9871bb…, but that couldn't start single player, and when I connected to a local 5.0 server, it kept throwing error messages on the screen.

I'm currently trying your current version, with md5sum = d6650b9e… It does show up as version null.21 in the app list, but it works very well in single player.
I just checked as I was writing this, and it also works well connecting to a local 5.0 server, but I haven't figured out how to fly the hangglider mod yet—coordinating jump and left click is going to be tricky with these controls.

However, so far I do like what I see.

[edit to fix md5sum typo]

kestral

GitHub: kestral246

by kestral » Fri Dec 07, 2018 17:27

It looks like the error messages were due to having too old a version of 5.0 for the server—on the order of 1 month old. They were showing up on my laptop server with your latest android version too. Once I recompiled that server to the latest git code, the flood of error messages went away.

I've also played around with hacks to the hangglider code to use something other than left-click, and I'm now able to hangglide on android. This isn't the first mod I've needed to change to make it usable on android, but I suppose that should be the topic of another thread.

stu

by stu » Fri Dec 07, 2018 23:31

kestral wrote:I first tried your version from two days ago, with md5sum = bd9871bb…, but that couldn't start single player, and when I connected to a local 5.0 server, it kept throwing error messages on the screen.

Sorry, I did mess up the first apk by not packaging the game correctly, I have since written a simple bash script to automate this whole process and ensure that does not happen again.

PS: The version has now been updated to f0dca28 so you now have the full menu by default, making game and world management much easier.

stu

Re: [Android] stu's unofficial android builds [5.0.0-dev]

by stu » Tue Dec 11, 2018 20:01

Updated to ce32a327

No android specific changes but maybe some improvements to the content DB.

Return to Builds