Minetest for Xbox and IOS?

Lejo
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

Re: Minetest for Xbox and IOS?

by Lejo » Post

Just one thought about IOS:

Minetest is Licensed under LGPL(not GPL) and as far as I know this can be published on the App Store.
Isn't this the difference between GPL and LGPL that LGPL allows bundling third-party code?

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Seems to me the answers to the original topic is "no" and "no".

You can continue the discussion but it seems like its pretty clear that there isn't much chance of getting it on either platform:

Microsoft is not going to allow a formidable competitor to their prized Minecraft game on their own platform to compete with their own game.

iOS will not deal with GPL components.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

FreeGamers wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 20:19
Microsoft is not going to allow a formidable competitor to their prized Minecraft game on their own platform to compete with their own game.
Sure, but that's also not so important as you still can use minetest on Windows.
iOS will not deal with GPL components.
True but it will deal with LGPL components as they allow bundling with proprietary code.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Windows is an operating system for a personal computer. They're still considered very open platforms.

The xbox is more like and embedded system or a closed-marketplace. There is significantly more control over that software ecosystem by Microsoft. I understand there are some similarities but its the huge differences in the marketing strategy from Microsoft that make it not-realistic for Xbox. Can you image if Microsoft stopped allowing businesses and users to install software on their computers? The time may come for Windows where that happens and Microsoft Store is the only source for Windows operating system. I still think that would hurt their sales and capitalization of the market.

I'm not sure what Apple App Store stance is on MIT and LGPL. But much of the mod software would still not be compatible as much of it is GPLv3. It still seems quite complex without more information.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

FreeGamers wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 14:22
Windows is an operating system for a personal computer. They're still considered very open platforms.

The xbox is more like and embedded system or a closed-marketplace. There is significantly more control over that software ecosystem by Microsoft. I understand there are some similarities but its the huge differences in the marketing strategy from Microsoft that make it not-realistic for Xbox. Can you image if Microsoft stopped allowing businesses and users to install software on their computers? The time may come for Windows where that happens and Microsoft Store is the only source for Windows operating system. I still think that would hurt their sales and capitalization of the market.
That’s true, I sadly also have no solution for it :(
I'm not sure what Apple App Store stance is on MIT and LGPL. But much of the mod software would still not be compatible as much of it is GPLv3. It still seems quite complex without more information.
I think(not sure) GPL mods should work as you don’t need to compile them with any proprietary stuff.

MoNTE48
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

1) Minetest_game uses a very permissible MIT and compatible LGPL.
2) Minetest does not require precompiling and binding mods to use
3) GNU * GPL has exceptions for use without distribution. I can use the GPL mod with a proprietary game without any problems, because I use it only on my device and do not distribute it in any way.

And I repeat again for those who call themselves FOSS adherents and do not understand the difference in licenses.
The only problem with the GPL is that it prohibits use with proprietary code. LGPL libraries are used in a huge amount of proprietary software.

While the Xbox platform is unlikely to be pleased with the advent of Minetest, Apple will gladly accept Minetest in its iOS and Mac App Stores.

smithantibody
GitHub: smithantibody
IRC: smithantibody
In-game: smithantibody

by smithantibody » Post

minetest for IOS would be possible.