Stable macOS Builds? I'll host them...

cainram

Stable macOS Builds? I'll host them...

by cainram » Post

Hello!

There used to be a place to download stable builds for macOS (OS X) and it seems that has petered out... I have only been able to find daily builds. The build I'm using now seems to work ok but I would like to be on the same build as my server (Ubuntu Server 16.04 running 0.4.16) and my daughter's Windows computer running 0.4.16 stable. If anyone is interested in compiling a semi-official stable build for the few most recent versions, I'd be happy to host them on my site. It isn't going anywhere soon.

Let me know and thanks in advance!

neoascetic
GitHub: neoascetic
IRC: neoascetic
In-game: neoascetic

Re: Stable macOS Builds? I'll host them...

by neoascetic » Post

Use Homebrew to install the stable version

acheron

by acheron » Post

Honestly, this homebew-thing sucks. Extremely.

If you are a OS X User that's used to installing stuff by dragging xxx.app to Applications, you are obligated/obliged (sorry, not my mother tongue) into using some weird cli-stuff. It puts the software you want into places you did not know that they existed (and you DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW), and after installation you can't start the software through your Applications-Directory (I'm sure there is a way to link or whatever it there, but no, I don't want to know). But at least, you have package management now. Awesome.

If you are a developer on the other side, somebody who knows about git and all that stuff and like using the bleeding edge newest unstable development version, you get this nice minetest.app for download.

Shouldn't it be the other way round?? There even was this forum member who was willing to host the release versions for osx, but it was declined with a hint at homebrew. Really, wtf???

Sorry for the rant, and please believe me that I am really impressed and thankful for the awesome work you guys put into minetest, probably in your spare time. But homebrew as the primary distribution channel for OS X? This way, I'm sure minetest simply does not exist for the vast majority of OS X users.

cainram

by cainram » Post

Ok, someone compiled these and posted them. Homebrew is lame, I don't want to use it.
Last page of this post has the links... At least at the time of this posting. Couldn't figure out how to link to the particular post. You'll find it.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9190