[macOS] Neoascetic's nightly builds and others

Morn76

Re: [OS X] Morn76's Yosemite builds

by Morn76 » Post

I've updated the 0.4.11 zip file at GitHub. Based on the same commit as before, but now it actually says 0.4.11 on screen.

The 0.4.11 commit wasn't tagged as such in the main MT repo for some ime because apparently creating the Windows release builds took longer than expected.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

New build: 20150114.57f2fa5

Stil no real solution for the trackpad stickiness issue at 60 fps though. :-(

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

New build: 20150125.47aca6f

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

New build: 20150208.15c0376

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

New build:

stable release 0.4.12 (7993a40)

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Hi,

Thank you for your work ! :)

But please, can't you maintain a build with mavericks version ? (i can't update my macbook because if i do that, i loose many things, like refind, because it's not compatible with yosemite...)

(So, for the moment i still have your latest Mavericks build, but it's not a updated version...)

neoascetic
GitHub: neoascetic
IRC: neoascetic
In-game: neoascetic

by neoascetic » Post

Minetestforfun wrote:Hi,

Thank you for your work ! :)

But please, can't you maintain a build with mavericks version ? (i can't update my macbook because if i do that, i loose many things, like refind, because it's not compatible with yosemite...)

(So, for the moment i still have your latest Mavericks build, but it's not a updated version...)
You may use homebrew to get the latest version of minetest: `brew install homebrew/games/minetest --HEAD`.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

I actually used macports repository, but in macports they haven't minetest app...
For Homebrew, that's a great news, i will install homebrew and test the build from it, thank you :)

EDIT : it works great with homebrew, thank you very much !
Last edited by Minetestforfun on Fri Feb 20, 2015 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

I've made the Homebrew command orange in the first post; hopefully that makes it more conspicuous.

Whatever happened to the blink and marquee tags, hallmarks of 1990s web design excellence? Now that I finally need them, they've disappeared… :-)

@neoascetic: Could you look into the trackpad stickiness issue? Load the development test and perhaps set fps_max really low and watch the sluggishness when looking around.

SideburnEtic
GitHub: MrMormon
In-game: SideburnEtic

by SideburnEtic » Post

What needs to be done so this compiles on an Intel 64-bit architecture?

neoascetic

by neoascetic » Post

Morn76 wrote:@neoascetic: Could you look into the trackpad stickiness issue? Load the development test and perhaps set fps_max really low and watch the sluggishness when looking around.
Ok, I'll take a look.
SideburnEtic wrote:What needs to be done so this compiles on an Intel 64-bit architecture?
What problem do you have exactly?

SideburnEtic
GitHub: MrMormon
In-game: SideburnEtic

by SideburnEtic » Post

Compiling exits with an error like CANNOT FIND HEADERS FOR x86_64 architecture.

However, I just found the Homebrew formula at:

usr/local/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-games/minetest.rb

and will update it to 4.12. 4.11 didn't give me any problems that way. It mentions in a comment:

Their CMake cannot create simple app bundle now, but we may use "make package" to create .dmg package with bundle inside and then copy bundle from its tmp directory.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

neoascetic wrote:
Morn76 wrote:@neoascetic: Could you look into the trackpad stickiness issue? Load the development test and perhaps set fps_max really low and watch the sluggishness when looking around.
Ok, I'll take a look.
My mtmake script applies a patch that partially reverses a commit to the fps limiter, but apparently 0.4.9/0.4.10 were still more buttery smooth when looking around I've been told.

I've never really noticed this issue before because my Stampy World rarely reaches 60 fps on my Macbook but e.g. in the development test game it's very obvious even on slower hardware.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

New build: 20150224.b4acac7

Thanks to Megaf it is now possible to define Shift as the sneak key. The "e" key workaround is no longer needed.

neoascetic

by neoascetic » Post

Morn76 wrote:New build: 20150224.b4acac7
Thanks to Megaf it is now possible to define Shift as the sneak key. The "e" key workaround is no longer needed.
I wonder why all these patches are not merged with the main repo.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

The way they are right now they would break the Linux or Windows builds. But if you want to #ifdef them properly to merge with the main repo, go ahead…

neoascetic

by neoascetic » Post

I've created a patch for minetest which simplifies standalone bundle creation (i. e. it takes care about all work by copying all dependencies into resulting bundle). If (when) it merged, I guess there will be no more need in separate project and I hope @Morn76 we may spend our time on making Minetest work fine on OSX by itself instead of creating separate patches/etc). This also allows us to build nightles and publish them in automatic way.

Here the patch, try it out!

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

Looks nice, neoascetic! Just make sure these builds have all the subgames in my build and all optional features (Redis, LevelDB, FreeType, etc.) enabled. Then I will no longer have to do any builds.

neoascetic

by neoascetic » Post

Just curious, why client need LevelDB and Redis? I thought is required for some heavy-loaded servers.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

I always use LevelDB for my maps. Fewer problems with weird shadows from WorldEdit, better performance, and so far no map corruption. SQLite sometimes produces map glitches like mysteriously broken beds, lighting artifacts, etc.

I agree that Redis is not that necessary, it's just that I want to test the Mac build 100% and so I'd like feature parity with sfan5's Windows builds. Same subgames, same optional feaures. And since all the optional stuff is in Homebrew, it's not a big hassle to include it in a build.

neoascetic

by neoascetic » Post

Here we go: night builds and the latest release for OSX.
@Morn76, need your feedback.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

Looks excellent, neoascetic, and runs fine! (After I disabled the Mac app signing requirement in System Preferences *again*. Apparently Apple in their infinite wisdom turned this unwanted feature back on?)

My only suggestion is to include a version number of the git revision like my make_mac script did, preferably both in Info.plist (so it shows up in the Finder) and MT itself. Because "latest-dirty" does not tell you much about the exact version.

Otherwise, good job! I'll link to this in the first post. Maybe you should start a new thread for your builds. Then we can link to that from the MT download page. If you will provide stable builds on GItHub too there would be no need for my thread anymore I think. Just make sure the bugs and peculiaities of the Mac version are documented and provide stable builds for when nightlies are buggy.

neoascetic

Re: [OS X] Morn76's builds and neoascetic's nightly builds

by neoascetic » Post

My builds was built on Mavericks, but of course work on Yosemite too, so note in the first post a little bit incorrect.
I don't want to create new thread. Instead, I want all issues be reported to the main Minetest repo; I want to get (and provide) first-class support of OSX in Minetest. Thus, I think link on Downloads page of the website should be enough.

Of course, I'll provide stable builds.

Morn76

Re: [OS X] Morn76's builds and neoascetic's nightly builds

by Morn76 » Post

neoascetic wrote:I want all issues be reported to the main Minetest repo; I want to get (and provide) first-class support of OSX in Minetest. Thus, I think link on Downloads page of the website should be enough.
Not everything in my first post is issues; e.g. where do you put mods and maps. A download link alone is not enough, you also have to provide instructions somewhere.

I've edited the first post so it says Mavericks and Yosemite.

OmniStudent

Re: [OS X] Neoascetic's nightly builds and Morn76's builds

by OmniStudent » Post

Hello! Haven't looked in here in a long while, but great to see some people still work for the OSX version.

Thankyou Morn76 and Neoascetic!

PhD almost done: hope to be able to contribute after that.