[Android] Builds for ARM, x86 and MIPS

sapier
Developer

Re: Android Builds (ARM, x86, MIPS)

by sapier » Post

stormchaser3000 true it's not impossible, but for most devices it's not gonna work very well. That's why it's not encouraged to do. There are ways to do it but those will not be officially supported.

hiradur interesting idea ideed. gues we'll have a look at this was of doing for next release. For 0.4.10 implementing it that way is way to much work to be finished in time.

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Very nice, I shall try it out on my smartphone and tablet sometime! But any chance of seeing it on Google Play anytime? That would make installing and updating easier, and also make Minetest more popular!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Excellent! It's great that it is released now. The development versions did work quite well already - especially when joining a server (singleplayer is of limited fun on any device).

Would it be possible to make the .apk available for download? I.e. through forum attachment? Mediafire does not count as it does not work (broken by design). I'm not sure how difficult compiling for Android is.

The Google playstore might also eventually be of intrest. For now, I think the game ought to be listed in the F-Droid appstore. That one's specialized on open source. People using it are most likely those that'll also be really intrested in developing Minetest any further through mods or code - and not just kids causing chaos on servers :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Tested, works well on an HTC One vx.

Need to test latest with Nexus 7, and a Samsung Galaxy s4
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

I tested on both my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and tablet (Vodafone Smart Tab 4), both running Android 4.x. In the case of the phone, it froze my device for over 5 minutes, at the stage where Minetest was scanning the files... whereas on the tablet there were no problems there. Regardless, both worked well afterward, and I was able to move around the world and dig and use the menus and everything else.

Only one obvious problem to mention: Shaders don't work. If I try to enable them, everything becomes red... the classic indication in Minetest that shader compilation failed. Maybe RBA can look into it sometime, although this is of course not urgent. Sound also worked well on both devices.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Broken shaders are a known issue, forgot to add it to lead post. Fixing it.
Thanks for reporting your devices, I added them to lead post too.

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Some days ago, I installed the Minetest-0.4.10-android-armeabi" build on my Huawei Ascend Y300. It runs quite well, but there's one problem:
Minetest starts and shows "scanning <file>". When it's done, the screen just stays black until I lock and unlock it again, then the main menu finally shows up so that I can play.

hunterdelyx1

by hunterdelyx1 » Post

I tested 0.4.10 on Samsung SM-P600 Galaxy Note 10.1. Everything works fine but there are 2 issue.

1. UI (like scrolls and radio) extremely small on devices with high resolution( by the way they are small on low resolution devices too but not such small ) and doesn't scale with gui_scaling.

2. I can't say exactly if stu's build really work faster because stu didn't fix error with BGRA(tab 3) but it's at least seem to be like that.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

A few minutes ago. I tested recent android build on:
Samsung Galaxy Fit
RAM 280MB

After loading files, the screen goes blue (main menu bg) coloured blank (nothing at screen) and if i touch it more than three repeatedly it close itself.

Why?
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

srifqi first of all you need to have this device updated to Android 2.3. Next thing is lots of devices being quite similar to this one have same issue. Sometimes rebooting the device helps, sometimes you need to reboot several times and sometimes only using cyanogen mod helps.
But prior doing this I have to disappoint you, according to those technical specs I found about that device it's quite unlikely you'll have much fun on playing minetest. I'd not expect it to run at more then a few frames.

srifqi

by srifqi » Post

sapier wrote:srifqi first of all you need to have this device updated to Android 2.3.
I have it already (2.3.6)
sapier wrote:But prior doing this I have to disappoint you, according to those technical specs I found about that device it's quite unlikely you'll have much fun on playing minetest. I'd not expect it to run at more then a few frames.
Okay, Thanks.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

SuperCode

by SuperCode » Post

Does there happen to be an Eclipse compatible version of the source code?

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

After getting the Jolla Sailfish launcher for android (unofficial, ported to 4.2 devices) on my phone (htc one vx), the game is no longer nicely playable, almost unplayable at in-game night times. Night also makes it very very dark in game, and a LOT of torches (a lot more than what I need for the PC) are needed to light up an area.

Sapier, I would love it if you could add debug features to the app. My proposal is as follows:

A. Add a "debug" checkbox to the Settings menu.
B. If debug checkbox = true, add a debug button in game somewhere on screen.
C. Pressing this button would perform the same action as pressing F5 on PC.

Another feature I see many android users wishing for on their lousy buildcraft w/e apps is a third person view. I guess adding a third person view would be a nice way to get them to switch to the official build.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

SuperCode why do you believe source code isn't eclipse compatible? I use eclipse myself, you only habe to setup your project correct.

Hoodedice I habe no idea why it's more dark there there ain't any special brightness handling for Android. Adding a debug mode sounds like a gold idea I'll add it next version. 3rd person hmm I guess I'll have to update pause menu to get a few more buttons but it's been requested multiple times by now so chances are quite big thats gonna happen

GhostGTO

by GhostGTO » Post

Worked nicely on the NVIDIA Shield. Though, some problems:

*Resolution of some UI items is not good (A problem of the device, though)
*Lacking Mouse Support (Mouse emulates Touchscreen. I would like to see real mouse support, even if we need root)
*Lacking Joypad Support (I would love to play Minetest on my TV with a controller, partly workarounded using NVIDIA's Gamepad Mapper, but annoying to use as blocks are randomly placed while using right analog stick)
*The Keyboard doesn't recognize some keys, if i want to use slash for example, it will give me errors.

Some questions about the Android port:
*Are Texture Packs supported?
*Is it possible to use mods?
*Some way to not automatically place blocks when using touch?

LemonLake
GitHub: Lemmmy
IRC: Lemmmy
In-game: Lemmmy

by LemonLake » Post

Play testing on S Note 2 and S Galaxy Tab 3.

The tab had a bug where rail like nodes on a normal node would reach for the sky in a very bugged fashion.

Above untested on the note.

Both devices also didn't automatically update the hotbar.

A suggestion would be to make the menu button bring up a menu triggering all the actions of the function keys, as well as other shortcuts like no clip, fly, fast, fog.

A sprint button/shortcut (maybe double tap + hold forward) would be useful too.

srifqi

by srifqi » Post

GhostGTO wrote: Some questions about the Android port:
*Are Texture Packs supported?
*Is it possible to use mods
*Not (maybe still in progress)
*Yes
Open Your SD Card (internal if exist) and open Minetest folder, it seems like pc ver

SuperCode

by SuperCode » Post

sapier wrote:SuperCode why do you believe source code isn't eclipse compatible? I use eclipse myself, you only habe to setup your project correct.

Hmm.. do you think you could point me to a tutorial to importing the project?

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

SuperCode just create Project with existing source code and point it to ".../build/android" that's all.

GhostGTO
MODS: you should be able to download mods in game too,
Texture Packs: partial, texture packs aren't supported my menu but but you can enable them in config file same way they would be enabled on pc

LemonLake did that server you joined have a special texture pack installed? What server did you connect? I remember having seen a bug quite similar to this one quite some time ago but didn't see it for a while

LemonLake
GitHub: Lemmmy
IRC: Lemmmy
In-game: Lemmmy

by LemonLake » Post

sapier wrote:SuperCode just create Project with existing source code and point it to ".../build/android" that's all.

GhostGTO
MODS: you should be able to download mods in game too,
Texture Packs: partial, texture packs aren't supported my menu but but you can enable them in config file same way they would be enabled on pc

LemonLake did that server you joined have a special texture pack installed? What server did you connect? I remember having seen a bug quite similar to this one quite some time ago but didn't see it for a while
Kup.

nsd
In-game: nsd

by nsd » Post

You might want to add commands in chat like /togglefly.

srifqi

by srifqi » Post

Works on S Galaxy Tab S 10, expect for:
LemonLake wrote:The tab had a bug where rail like nodes on a normal node would reach for the sky in a very bugged fashion.
also didn't automatically update the hotbar.

PeterKabin

by PeterKabin » Post

On Nexus 7 2013
laggy, horrible controls, no option to put custom textures for buttons

shaheerziya

by shaheerziya » Post

Its really awesome like Minetest Pocket Edition

MoNTE48
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Hi. I found problem:
1) settings don't save
2) lang for locale dont work. on all locale device ENG lang.
3) control is very bad.
4) please, return PC mainmenu. i can't create 2 and more words! One world only.