A Mod To Run ZDoom Actors In Minetest Might Be Useful

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

A Mod To Run ZDoom Actors In Minetest Might Be Useful

by Inocudom » Post

If anyone here has ever played ZDoom, Zandronum, GZDoom, or QZDoom, then you might have experienced the actors of various mods for them, which consist of decorations, items, weapons, and monsters. Below is a link that goes into more detail:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Category:ZDoom_actors
If Minetest ever gained the ability to run ZDoom actors one day, what would be the end result for players and modders alike. Now, don't just ignore this topic because of the fact that I was the one that started it, but actually discuss implications, theories, and impossibilities.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: A Mod To Run ZDoom Actors In Minetest Might Be Useful

by Stix » Post

im not totally sure what ur trying to say, are you saying you would like doom to be made in minetest? cuz thats sounds awesome, doesnt sound too hard as the characters are just sprites and the lvls could be made with blocks since lvls in doom are kinda blocky anyways
BTW: why would someone ignore a post becuz you wrote it???
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Stix wrote:im not totally sure what ur trying to say, are you saying you would like doom to be made in minetest? cuz thats sounds awesome, doesnt sound too hard as the characters are just sprites and the lvls could be made with blocks since lvls in doom are kinda blocky anyways
Maps might be too difficult as they consist of sectors, which can have their heights changed by default and their widths and textures changed by scripts. However, if someone manages to create a way to import them successfully, then that would be a very impressive feat indeed. I just feel that monsters, items, and weapons from ZDoom mods could really add to the survival world experience in ways simply not possible in ZDoom-based source ports currently. For example, building a fort or tunneling underground to avoid a dark cardinal or firing a quad shotgun to help with mining. At the very least, studying how ZDoom actors work can improve future mobs and other entities in Minetest.

Stix

by Stix » Post

Inocudom wrote:
Stix wrote:im not totally sure what ur trying to say, are you saying you would like doom to be made in minetest? cuz thats sounds awesome, doesnt sound too hard as the characters are just sprites and the lvls could be made with blocks since lvls in doom are kinda blocky anyways
Maps might be too difficult as they consist of sectors, which can have their heights changed by default and their widths and textures changed by scripts. However, if someone manages to create a way to import them successfully, then that would be a very impressive feat indeed. I just feel that monsters, items, and weapons from ZDoom mods could really add to the survival world experience in ways simply not possible in ZDoom-based source ports currently. For example, building a fort or tunneling underground to avoid a dark cardinal or firing a quad shotgun to help with mining. At the very least, studying how ZDoom actors work can improve future mobs and other entities in Minetest.
all these ideas sounds great. +1

Stix

by Stix » Post

i particular like the thought of doom maps where one could mine around with a shotgun to outfland the monsters or an enemy team.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

One thing to consider is that guns made for ZDoom tend to consist of sprites and decorate files. They also rely on spawners for the guns and their ammo types. One thing I have noticed is that guns in Minetest are very simplistic, as they don't animate, don't reload, and don't have any kind of ammo backpack to hold their ammo.

D00Med
GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Post

I like the sound of this!

I tried making a mod for doom-like weapons once. I used weapon sprites as hud images, but it was very buggy.
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242