New to Minetest code? Want to help? Lua Programmers wanted!

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

New to Minetest code? Want to help? Lua Programmers wanted!

by sofar » Post

Hi everyone,

as lots of you may know, we have an organization setup for hosting minetest mods at https://github.com/minetest-mods/. We have over 160 mods here that we maintain. Some mods are really active and well maintained, and some mods are somewhat stable and don't need much attention, but, we always get a steady flow of bugs and issues.

We have people who can merge Pull Requests to get fixes in the code for all the trees if the maintainers are not around anymore, and a few projects are very slow to fix issues, or there are pull requests from people around who are no longer updating their patches and so these changes are getting old and we can't merge them anymore.

This is a fantastic opportunity for people to learn and help at the same time.

What you learn is:

- working with git and github
- patching code
- testing changes
- learning minetest modding

What do you get out of it:

- experience modding and tools
- get to know the devs and active folks
- people helping you out how to make the needed changes

What you'd need to do:

- Visit https://github.com/search?p=9&q=org%3Am ... ype=Issues
- Find Pull Requests that are over 30 days old
- See if they need changing, testing, or reviewing
- In case you're unclear, talk to me (sofar) on IRC and we can make an attack plan that fits with the mod

For more advanced modders:

- Visit https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%9 ... ype=Issues
- Find issues that need fixing and you think you can help out with
- Work with the projects and make an acceptable solution

There is no need to do any sort of commitment. You can simply start on any thing you like if you want, no need to ask if you can or not. However, if you do want to make some sort of time commitment, please, talk with me or some of the folks in #minetest-hub on irc.freenode.net and we can try and get someone (me, or other devs) to mentor you and make your time both productive and a learning experience.

Why am I doing this?

I setup the minetest-mods organization to grow the community and bring developers together to help out eachother. We've largely succeeded at that and minetest-mods is a very active organization, and I want to use this to bring in new developers and show them that there is a lot of fun coding to do. I also could potentially fix a lot of the issues myself, but I've learnt from experience that I can do much more by training new developers and teach them "what works", and I often see new modders asking about "what should I do next", so I know there is a demand for training and a supply of people willing to learn.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: New to Minetest code? Want to help? Lua Programmers want

by sofar » Post

Relevant forum thread on minetest-mods:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13839