understanding spawn

LocaL_ALchemisT

understanding spawn

by LocaL_ALchemisT » Tue Dec 16, 2014 00:38

how does the game determine the spawn point?
how can we set our own random teleport point so that people wouldn't end up high above the sky or buried beneath the earth?

many thanks in advance
Built Telegate v1.0, Workers v2.0, Broadcast v0.0 & Weeping Angel v0.1
Having A Buzy Week
From 0.4.10 with love~

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: understanding spawn

by Don » Tue Dec 16, 2014 01:46

Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 05:52

Before any mapgen occurs Minetest picks random locations, starting at (x=0, z=0) and working outwards.
For each random location mapgen parameters and perlin noise are used to pre-calculate the ground level at that location, if that level is suitable (not underwater and not at high altitude) the player is then spawned in empty space at that (x, z) and with y = calculated ground level. Only then does the mapgen start generating terrain around the player.
If the random location is not suitable for spawn a new random location is chosen to be tested for suitability.
This means if the terrain is suitable at (x=0, z=0) the player will spawn there, but if there will be a mountain or ocean there the random locations gradually move outwards until a suitable altitude is found.
This way the player is always spawned at the closest suitable location to (x=0, z=0).

ArguablySane

by ArguablySane » Tue Dec 16, 2014 08:53

Is there a standard way to make the player spawn at ground level when the entire mapgen is being done by a mod? Moving the player after they spawn seems like it would work, but it isn't the most elegant solution.
The above post and any ideas expressed therein are released to the public domain under a Creative Commons CC0 license.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 15:18

No standard way, my recent mapgens have spawnplayer functions that work in a slightly similar way to the core version: pre-calculate terrain from noise to find a suitable spawnpoint. But i need to change my functions to not depend on a chunk size of 80 nodes, i need to move towards the core method.

Return to Modding Discussion