Comparing various Mob - mods

rubberduck
IRC: rbduck
In-game: rubberduck

Comparing various Mob - mods

by rubberduck » Post

what are the differences between different mob mods, which have compatibility problems with other mods, and how is it with bugs and features:

i would like to have it in some kind of list format
Mod1
compatibility problems
bugs
missing features, other things (few mobs only??, slow/causes lag??, mob makes no sound??, development stopped??)

Mod2
compatibility problems
bugs
My game (not minetest): http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6800

my mods: gold_and_gem, meseconductors

a penguin throws an apple through a window

sometimes i change my "forum location" via user control panel

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: Comparing various Mob - mods

by firefox » Post

i don't know enough for a complete list, but here is what i do know:

simple_mobs:
- basic mobs, attack and follow you, item drop

mobs_redo:
-based on simple_mobs
- mobs are knocked back when you hit them, particle effects
- attack and follow you, different attack patterns and behavior
- item drop, animal taming and breeding
- support for flying and swimming mobs (mobs not included)

as far as i know, the different mobs mods are not compatible with each other, because they each use their own APIs. simple_mobs might be compatible with mobs_redo because they have the same base, but since mobs_redo is an upgraded version of simple_mobs with the same monsters, you will never use both at the same time.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Mobs Redo has backwards compatibility with Simple Mobs, so mobs made for the older mod can be used easily on the new redo version.

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Post

I settled on mobs_redo a while ago.

I did try all the others, but none offers such a wide range of mobs, provides the behaviour I want or is quite as easy to customise.
Grailtest is stirring ...

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

If you want the BEST mobs ever created for Minetest, you should give these a try:
https://github.com/maikerumine/esmobs
Full-on variety. and hard to kill.

EDIT:
PLUS this mod is compatible with all other mobs mods.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

maikerumine wrote:...
:-o
that's quite a pomise

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

twoelk wrote:
maikerumine wrote:...
:-o
that's quite a pomise
You know how most mobs use the nomenclature "mobs", well this one doesn't so there will never be a conflict. :-)

vermillion

by vermillion » Post

The home page lists three mods under the mobs section. Animals modpack, creatures, and simple mobs. Are these the most stable and complete? I've also seen mobs redo mentioned all over the forum. It seems like a lot of effort is being duplicated to create various mob frameworks. Do people not collaborate much on mods in the Minetest community?

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

vermillion wrote:The home page lists three mods under the mobs section. Animals modpack, creatures, and simple mobs. Are these the most stable and complete? I've also seen mobs redo mentioned all over the forum. It seems like a lot of effort is being duplicated to create various mob frameworks. Do people not collaborate much on mods in the Minetest community?
Not so much. We are all racing to create the best mob so it is included in the minetest game. LOL

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Am not too bothered about Mobs Redo being included with Minetest, I'm just trying to make a varied mobs mod that doesn't lag servers and gives plenty of features for other people to create mobs easily.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

vermillion wrote:The home page lists three mods under the mobs section. Animals modpack, creatures, and simple mobs. Are these the most stable and complete? I've also seen mobs redo mentioned all over the forum. It seems like a lot of effort is being duplicated to create various mob frameworks. Do people not collaborate much on mods in the Minetest community?
Most mods are primarily developed by a single person with varying degrees of contribution from the community.
Creatures takes a unique perspective, which majorly changes gameplay in a really interesting way. Animals is a relative heavyweight with fewer mobs and more features. Simple mobs is more lightweight - mobs redo is a fork of this and supports a greater variety of mobs. I think the latter has attracted more contributions because it is built on an existing framework, which is relatively simple and understandable.

Mobs redo wins hands-down for me because of the range of available mobs (including kittens, which proved unbelievably popular with my players), its ease of extensibility and because it provides the animal behaviour I want.

Mobs are not ever likely to be bundled with Minetest Game because it would be impossible to satisfy everyone's requirements with a single implementation. That is also the reason there are several different frameworks.

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

afflatus wrote:Creatures takes a unique perspective, which majorly changes gameplay in a really interesting way.
You don't mean my Creatures Mod (now Creatures MOB-Engine) i guess? Otherwise i would be interested what you mean.

@rubberduck, do you wan't to know all differences between all simple mobs mod forks or between all mob mods in general?

Christian9
In-game: Christian9

by Christian9 » Post

afflatus wrote:
Most mods are primarily developed by a single person with varying degrees of contribution from the community.
Creatures takes a unique perspective, which majorly changes gameplay in a really interesting way. Animals is a relative heavyweight with fewer mobs and more features. Simple mobs is more lightweight - mobs redo is a fork of this and supports a greater variety of mobs. I think the latter has attracted more contributions because it is built on an existing framework, which is relatively simple and understandable.

Mobs redo wins hands-down for me because of the range of available mobs (including kittens, which proved unbelievably popular with my players), its ease of extensibility and because it provides the animal behaviour I want.

Mobs are not ever likely to be bundled with Minetest Game because it would be impossible to satisfy everyone's requirements with a single implementation. That is also the reason there are several different frameworks.
I Like the Animals Modpack more then mobs redo because of the way it functions . I think I might make my own version with better models

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

BlockMen wrote:You don't mean my Creatures Mod (now Creatures MOB-Engine) i guess? Otherwise i would be interested what you mean.
Ah no, I was referring to MirceaKitsune's mod, also originally a fork of Simple Mobs. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9240

vermillion

by vermillion » Post

Thanks for the detailed response, Afflatus. I wanted to gauge which mod is the easiest to extend and the most popular. I've only recently started playing Minetest and I think it has a lot of potential. If I decide to contribute, I want to make sure I'm contributing to mods that are maintained and popular since they have the best chance of becoming polished.