Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Fri Jul 01, 2016 05:27

CraigyDavi wrote:The locked sign mod has been deleted from GitHub https://github.com/Kotolegokot/minetest-mod-locked_sign and other mods by Kotolegokot.

Maybe we could add a fork of it to the minutest-mods org? It's quite a popular mod.

The most up-to-date fork I've found is here: https://github.com/SmallJoker/minetest-mod-locked_sign


We don't "take over" projects, instead we ask people to "contribute" their mods (and move while keeping their access and control). So you should ping SmallJoker (Krock) and ask if he wants to move it - a github issue may be enough enticement for him.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Fri Jul 01, 2016 05:29

lightonflux wrote:Is there a plan to have the repo integrated in MT or have a CLI client (python script) to download them?


It was certainly the intent of the project to make this easier, but ultimately, that's up to the minetest team.

An integrated client seems like a far better solution (works on all platforms!) than a python cli. Someone just has to write it and submit.
 

User avatar
Wuzzy
Member
 
Posts: 3391
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 15:01
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by Wuzzy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 17:10

Hi! I maybe would like to contribute the following mods to the mod repository (but I am not so sure yet):

- bedrock2
- playertools
- wateringcan
- playermodel
- ltool
- galaxybox
- basic_hud
- hudbars
- hbhunger
- hbarmor
- teletool
- slimenodes
- mana
- inventory_icon
- dice2
- origin
- no_sneak_glitch

I hope none of the suggested mods cause serious conflicts with the other mods, and there are no serious overlaps. But please check for yourselves.

The main reason why I do this is because I noticed I just don't have the motivation and/or time to maintain so many mods (plus so many unfinished ones) at once anymore.

Note that all the code mods are hosted on repo.or.cz. I have no idea if this is a good starting point since your project seems to heavily depend on GitHub. I have uploaded my mods only on repo.or.cz because I thought the website was simpler and less bloated.
Would adding my mods to the mod repository mean I have to abandon repo.or.cz? That would be a lot of annoying and boring migration work for me, not fun at all. Or is maybe some kind of “mirror” possible? Please answer these questions before adding the mods to the repository.

About the mods (and information for potential contributers):
Most mods here are finished, luckily, but some need updating and boring maintenance work. Minetest tends to add more and more of “metadata” files, like screenshot.png, description.txt and mod.conf lately. It is boring work to update all those mods by hand after basically every Minetest release.

A mod which constantly annoys me is hbhunger. The complaints in this thread tend to pile up and I don't have the motivation to update the mod for missing food, etc. Also I am not a big fan of food myself. 3rd party contributions to hbhunger would be greatly appreciated.

The ltool mod works pretty fine, but I like to see:
- Bugfix: If you try to spawn a tree with unbalanced square brackets after the axiom got expanded, this causes a crash. I think it should be Minetest which fixes this, not me, but whatever
- I wish there was some way to access the formular via GUI only (currently there's only a server command). Inventory Plus and related mods don't help me as they require the mod using the inventory formspec, not a standalone formspec like ltool does.
- Other ideas are in the ltool thread


Lastly: One suggestsion about the project: I would like to see a central readme file which lists all the current mods in the repository, sorted roughly by categories (e.g. “decoration”, “map generation”, “server administration”, “tools”, “gameplay”, etc.) and with a short description and maybe a link to the mod's repository. Because there are so many mods now and it is hard to keep an overview.
Such a readme file could also list potential/known conflicts (at least within the repo).
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Sat Jul 02, 2016 19:54

Wuzzy wrote:Hi! I maybe would like to contribute the following mods to the mod repository (but I am not so sure yet):

- bedrock2
- playertools
- wateringcan
- playermodel
- ltool
- galaxybox
- basic_hud
- hudbars
- hbhunger
- hbarmor
- teletool
- slimenodes
- mana
- inventory_icon
- dice2
- origin
- no_sneak_glitch

I hope none of the suggested mods cause serious conflicts with the other mods, and there are no serious overlaps. But please check for yourselves.

The main reason why I do this is because I noticed I just don't have the motivation and/or time to maintain so many mods (plus so many unfinished ones) at once anymore.

Note that all the code mods are hosted on repo.or.cz. I have no idea if this is a good starting point since your project seems to heavily depend on GitHub. I have uploaded my mods only on repo.or.cz because I thought the website was simpler and less bloated.
Would adding my mods to the mod repository mean I have to abandon repo.or.cz? That would be a lot of annoying and boring migration work for me, not fun at all. Or is maybe some kind of “mirror” possible? Please answer these questions before adding the mods to the repository.


Because your mods are currently not at github, we'd clone them (you can't fork between github and repo.or.cz) and they would both exist. The risk is that people will only update one of those repo's and the other will grow stale.

I don't want to have minetest-mods maintain trees in both platforms. As it stands right now it's fairly trivial for me to make sure bugs are looked after and PRs are reviewed reasonably quick because it's all in one place.

Of course, nothing prevents you from keeping repo.or.cz in sync if you desire, it shouldn't be too hard to do this but it does mean running a script to keep them in sync.

I can do the migration for you, as well, just ask.

Wuzzy wrote:About the mods (and information for potential contributers):
Most mods here are finished, luckily, but some need updating and boring maintenance work. Minetest tends to add more and more of “metadata” files, like screenshot.png, description.txt and mod.conf lately. It is boring work to update all those mods by hand after basically every Minetest release.

A mod which constantly annoys me is hbhunger. The complaints in this thread tend to pile up and I don't have the motivation to update the mod for missing food, etc. Also I am not a big fan of food myself. 3rd party contributions to hbhunger would be greatly appreciated.

The ltool mod works pretty fine, but I like to see:
- Bugfix: If you try to spawn a tree with unbalanced square brackets after the axiom got expanded, this causes a crash. I think it should be Minetest which fixes this, not me, but whatever
- I wish there was some way to access the formular via GUI only (currently there's only a server command). Inventory Plus and related mods don't help me as they require the mod using the inventory formspec, not a standalone formspec like ltool does.
- Other ideas are in the ltool thread


Lastly: One suggestsion about the project: I would like to see a central readme file which lists all the current mods in the repository, sorted roughly by categories (e.g. “decoration”, “map generation”, “server administration”, “tools”, “gameplay”, etc.) and with a short description and maybe a link to the mod's repository. Because there are so many mods now and it is hard to keep an overview.
Such a readme file could also list potential/known conflicts (at least within the repo).


Good ideas and good mods!
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Fri Feb 03, 2017 00:13

We've had a good half year with many projects operating well and doing regular updates. We also had lots of new folks come in and help out with new PRs. The number of projects has grown by another 12 or so to 107. I think we removed one or two mods as well due to circumstances (mostly conflicts with our guideline rules).

All in all we've made it through a year!

I intend to do a census soon and revive the project manifest and leadership. We can, as a community, all step in to help out, and there is opportunity for new people to take charge.
 

User avatar
TheReaperKing
Member
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 21:36

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by TheReaperKing » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:38

Would it be possible to change all the WTF licenses to CC0? I was thinking that since there is such a great collection of mods that it would be a good chance for my students to learn how to clone git repos and also mess around with the code and learn about lots of mods available for minetest.

Also, if UjEdwins blessing, would be able to put his mods in there:
viewtopic.php?p=249854#p249854

Thanks so much! Take care.
-Mike
Resources on happiness and life management - http://MikesHappyPlace.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids
 

User avatar
Nathan.S
Member
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 17:47
Location: Bigsby Texas
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by Nathan.S » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:51

I want to add my drinks mod to the minetest-mods, but for some reason I can't transfer the ownership there? Any ideas/help.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 22:41

Nathan.S wrote:I want to add my drinks mod to the minetest-mods, but for some reason I can't transfer the ownership there? Any ideas/help.


Direct transfers are not possible. You need to submit an issue ticket first here so that we can review whether the mods fit the requirements :)

https://github.com/minetest-mods/minetest-mods.github.io/issues/new?title=New%20mod%20request
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 22:46

TheReaperKing wrote:Would it be possible to change all the WTF licenses to CC0? I was thinking that since there is such a great collection of mods that it would be a good chance for my students to learn how to clone git repos and also mess around with the code and learn about lots of mods available for minetest.


Thanks for pointing this out. Yes this is something we want to do.

However, I will not force a mod maintainer to change their licenses. Obviously.

The question is how to handle this though, I can ask each of the 40 or so mods to change licenses, but it'll be a large amount of work, and I would appreciate some help with that.

https://gist.github.com/sofar/6f1cca05fbf610b0b90e9f2b164ef494

I think the best way to do this would be to either submit PRs with license changes to each project so that the maintainers can just merge them as-is. Sending an issue would just never get merged.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 22:47

TheReaperKing wrote:Also, if UjEdwins blessing, would be able to put his mods in there:
viewtopic.php?p=249854#p249854


I believe he doesn't have his code in github, right? That complicates things a bit. I would certainly prefer if he could confirm that he is OK with that.
 

User avatar
Nathan.S
Member
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 17:47
Location: Bigsby Texas
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by Nathan.S » Sun Feb 05, 2017 23:04

sofar wrote:
Nathan.S wrote:I want to add my drinks mod to the minetest-mods, but for some reason I can't transfer the ownership there? Any ideas/help.


Direct transfers are not possible. You need to submit an issue ticket first here so that we can review whether the mods fit the requirements :)

https://github.com/minetest-mods/minetest-mods.github.io/issues/new?title=New%20mod%20request


Okay, Thanks.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course
 

User avatar
TheReaperKing
Member
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 21:36

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by TheReaperKing » Sun Feb 05, 2017 23:57

Luckily regarding WTF it doesn't seem like it is present that much and appears several times in the same mods:
https://goo.gl/shbCXM

I'll be sure to let you know if/when I get Uj's official blessing. I could put them on my github account if that makes it easier.

Thanks!!
Resources on happiness and life management - http://MikesHappyPlace.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids
 

User avatar
TumeniNodes
Member
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:49
Location: in the dark recesses of the mind
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by TumeniNodes » Mon Jun 19, 2017 15:55

can this be stickied please?
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 06:24

I will be proposing some governance rules to the manifest in the coming period. These are meant to make the future of minetest-mods as a project clear, and show that there is some basic housekeeping rules to determine how new administrators are chosen. I will also clarify a few things in the rules a bit further since there has been discussion in the past and continues to be the same type of questions.

As we've been operating for ~1 1/2 year, we're approaching 160 mods and I think almost 50+ active developers. The team is really strong and active, and it's been a fairly light task for me to keep PRs at bay and see to it that critical bugs and issues get resolved by maintainers.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Wed Jun 06, 2018 17:06

I know a lot of people are uncomfortable about github being purchased recently, and everyone should know that I am as well.

However, it goes against the goals of the minetest-mods team to do rash and unnecessary things that make mods not available to players to download them where they don't expect them to be.

So, I'd like to stress that we're doing this organization to maintain projects and not to undo this effort. If you're not comfortable with github, please talk before you do something that can't be undone.
 

User avatar
AccidentallyRhine
Member
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 05:43

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by AccidentallyRhine » Wed Jun 06, 2018 17:59

Would it be too draining to mirror minetest-mods to another popular git host? Such in that all changes on Github mintest-mods are automatically reflected elsewhere?
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 05:22

AccidentallyRhine wrote:Would it be too draining to mirror minetest-mods to another popular git host? Such in that all changes on Github mintest-mods are automatically reflected elsewhere?


I automatically create backups of every minetest-mods repo, and do this regularly, so moving to any new provider is relatively easy and simple. But, until a *need* for this exists, it's just a backup and I don't necessarily want people to rely on backup locations. I'd rather have that everyone makes offline backups themselves, those are much more secure than yet another git hoster.

But it's more valuable time wise to spend the time discussing and making an actual plan, then to spend time adding infrastructure for a non-problem. At this point, there is no need to panic and assume that github is going to collapse or become unusable.
 

FaceDeer
Member
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 19:01
GitHub: FaceDeer

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by FaceDeer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 17:25

I've got a best-practices question. I recently started doing a bunch of overhaul on some of my existing mods, since I've learned a lot about mapgen over the years and some of my early mapgen work was pretty crappy, and in the process I've started pulling a bunch of general-purpose code that I use in various mapgens into a "mapgen_helper" mod. Subterrane is one of the mapgen mods I've been renovating and that branch now makes heavy use of mapgen_helper. Before merging that branch back into master, should I submit mapgen_helper to the mod repository? Or should I pull the needed code out of mapgen_helper and include it directly in subterrane instead, removing the dependency?

I guess I'd prefer to submit mapgen_helper, since other mods of mine will be making use of it too and it's got stuff in it that I think other modders will find handy, just wondering if there's a general feeling on best practices regarding "library" mod dependencies like this.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Sun Dec 23, 2018 21:14

FaceDeer wrote:I guess I'd prefer to submit mapgen_helper, since other mods of mine will be making use of it too and it's got stuff in it that I think other modders will find handy, just wondering if there's a general feeling on best practices regarding "library" mod dependencies like this.


Shared components that you're maintaining and have a clear API should be separate mods. This seems a really simple case where adding it and then including it as a dependency is the best choice. Especially if more than one mod is going to be using it.
 

FaceDeer
Member
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 19:01
GitHub: FaceDeer

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by FaceDeer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 21:49

Well, more than one of my mods are definitely going to be using it. :) I'll write up some API documentation for it and get it in a nice tidy state for submission.

On a related topic (though starting to go a bit afield from the "minetest-mods" team specifically) has anyone come up with a standardized way of versioning the API a mod like this provides? I was thinking I should put a version number variable on the mod's global table, since I expect I'll continue to add new methods to this library over time and it'll be much simpler to just put a minimum-required-version check into init rather than checking the existence of each method every time I use one.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Sun Dec 23, 2018 23:02

FaceDeer wrote:On a related topic (though starting to go a bit afield from the "minetest-mods" team specifically) has anyone come up with a standardized way of versioning the API a mod like this provides? I was thinking I should put a version number variable on the mod's global table, since I expect I'll continue to add new methods to this library over time and it'll be much simpler to just put a minimum-required-version check into init rather than checking the existence of each method every time I use one.


I wouldn't use versioned APIs in minetest. Most of the time they don't make much sense, and unlike C, you can change your API methods to include more parameters later on. Just check that methods exist before calling them if you're unsure.
 

User avatar
BirgitLachner
Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:18
In-game: Bibs

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by BirgitLachner » Fri Mar 08, 2019 17:59

Hi guys ...
I want to use the Stargate Mod that I found here:
https://github.com/minetest-mods/stargate

But I can't use it at my online server. Is there a thread here for this mod? There are three with this name, but none of it has the same texture!?

Birgit
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by sofar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 21:40

BirgitLachner wrote:Is there a thread here for this mod?


This mod is somewhat special as the author is no longer alive. You are welcome to ask about or discuss technical issues in here, however, making a github issue would probably be a better way to get your issues resolved:

https://github.com/minetest-mods/stargate/issues/new
 

User avatar
BirgitLachner
Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:18
In-game: Bibs

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by BirgitLachner » Sat Mar 09, 2019 09:52

sofar wrote:
BirgitLachner wrote:Is there a thread here for this mod?


This mod is somewhat special as the author is no longer alive. You are welcome to ask about or discuss technical issues in here, however, making a github issue would probably be a better way to get your issues resolved:

https://github.com/minetest-mods/stargate/issues/new


Okay ... so I don't need to search any more.

The problem is, that I was able to use the mod on my local server 0.4.17 but not online 0.4.17 too. I can build the gates and clicking on it shows the dialogue but clicking there does not have any effect. I thought that there is missing a privilege, but even giving me all privleges as server owner doesn't change anything.

May be there should be some informations about how to the the mod.

Thanks ... Birgit
 

User avatar
BirgitLachner
Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:18
In-game: Bibs

Re: Minetest-Mods team[Mod repository]

by BirgitLachner » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:24

The possibility to download content at Minetest 5. But there is a problem with the mods downloaded ingame .

I'm sure I have the mods I need to satisfy the dependencies, but some of the mods are not loaded.
They are downloaded, that are activated in the game and even at world.mt, but the are not loaded when I start the game.
The basic problem seems to be the mod "moreblocks".

2019-03-09 11:20:42: ERROR[Main]: mod "nature_classic" has unsatisfied dependencies: "moretrees"
2019-03-09 11:20:42: ERROR[Main]: mod "trunks" has unsatisfied dependencies: "moretrees"
2019-03-09 11:20:42: ERROR[Main]: mod "vines" has unsatisfied dependencies: "moretrees"
2019-03-09 11:20:42: ERROR[Main]: mod "woodsoils" has unsatisfied dependencies: "trunks" "moretrees"
2019-03-09 11:20:42: ERROR[Main]: mod "basic_materials" has unsatisfied dependencies: "moreores"
2019-03-09 11:20:42: ERROR[Main]: mod "mg" has unsatisfied dependencies: "moretrees"
2019-03-09 11:20:42: ERROR[Main]: mod "moreblocks" has unsatisfied dependencies: "basic_materials"
2019-03-09 11:20:42: ERROR[Main]: mod "moreores" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mg"
2019-03-09 11:20:42: ERROR[Main]: mod "moretrees" has unsatisfied dependencies: "moreblocks"
2019-03-09 11:20:42: WARNING[Main]: Not registering alias, item with same name is already defined: mushroom:brown_natural -> flowers:mushroom_fertile_brown
2019-03-09 11:20:42: WARNING[Main]: Not registering alias, item with same name is already defined: mushroom:red_natural -> flowers:mushroom_fertile_red


After downloading the moreblocks from github and using the file, the aren't any more problems with the other mods.

Birgit
 

PreviousNext

Return to Modding Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests