In Game Voice Chat?

octacian
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

In Game Voice Chat?

by octacian » Post

Is it possible to write a mod that allows players to talk to each other in the game if they are close enough that you would in reality be able to hear the other person? Even if it would have to be done in the base C++, I'd really like to see something like this.

It would be really cool for people like me who don't like having to use Skype or not being able to say something that the others won't hear.
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: In Game Voice Chat?

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

hard to do ....

but great idea!!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

If OpenAL supports recording audio, it must be processed in real-time by our ogg/vorbis libraries, so it's not required to flood the server with raw sound data. And in the server code it must be redirected/sent to all players at once, this means the data volume is proportional to the online and speaking people.
This is really a huge piece of work if someone would try to realise that!
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Here is a PR that adds support for mumble, an existing ingame voice thing: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/3739
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

rubenwardy wrote:There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Here is a PR that adds support for mumble, an existing ingame voice thing: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/3739
To be accurate, it adds support for positional audio in Mumble, which is considered useless by many users. (It's what makes it sound like the in-game player is actually talking, you hear their voice coming from their character, but of course it can easily be disabled). Other than that, Mumble is usable in any program, even if it does not explicitly support it.

octacian

by octacian » Post

Calinou wrote:

To be accurate, it adds support for positional audio in Mumble, which is considered useless by many users. (It's what makes it sound like the in-game player is actually talking, you hear their voice coming from their character, but of course it can easily be disabled). Other than that, Mumble is usable in any program, even if it does not explicitly support it.
Positional audio is exactly what I am looking for. That way many people can play on a server with voice chat yet not have everything become a huge mess since normally you would hear everyone at once. However, positional audio eliminates this problem and adds a whole new aspect of fun to the game. For example, you can plot against someone without having to mute Skype...
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

octacian

by octacian » Post

Krock wrote:If OpenAL supports recording audio, it must be processed in real-time by our ogg/vorbis libraries, so it's not required to flood the server with raw sound data. And in the server code it must be redirected/sent to all players at once, this means the data volume is proportional to the online and speaking people.
This is really a huge piece of work if someone would try to realise that!
If positional audio is used, then flooding of data would not be a problem because only specific data would have to be sent. I would like to see something like this directly built into Minetest though, like an option in the settings or something.

octacian

by octacian » Post

I checked that out and downloaded the client from mumble.info. However, I cannot figure out how I am actually supposed to use this in Minetest. If you could explain further, I'd really appreciate that.

If possible, it would be really great to have this built in to Minetest though. Something you could enable or disable in the settings and such.