New mob mod

burli

New mob mod

by burli » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:18

Well, I don't want to call it API, because I think API is the wrong term

Those who follow the Post your videos thread may have seen what I'm working on. I'm unhappy with the current mobs so I decided to make my own mod with a different approach. I want to implement the steering behaviours from Craig Reynolds described in this paper

I also want to move most of the code from the "API" to the mob itself because I think the behaviour depends on the mob and if the mob can not breed for example there is no need for breeding code. So I completely removed the on_step function from the "API" like in mobs_redo and moved it to the mob itself. I want to provide lots of functions to build mobs and a mob template to start with.

The code for the wanderer from the third video is not more than this

Code: Select all
   on_step = function(self, dtime)
      self.acceleration = vector.new(0,0,0)
      self.pos = self.object:getpos()
      self.yaw = self.object:getyaw()

mobs:apply_force(self, mobs:separate(self))
      mobs:apply_force(self, mobs:wander(self))

local y_velocity = self.object:getvelocity().y

self.velocity = vector.add(self.velocity, self.acceleration)
      self.velocity = vector.limit(self.velocity, self.walk_velocity)

self.object:setvelocity({x = self.velocity.x, y = y_velocity, z = self.velocity.z})
      self.object:setyaw(vector.yaw(self.velocity))
   end,

It should be more like a construction kit with some specific configurations to make each mob individual.

I can't implement the full hierarchy of motion behaviour. This would include the calculation of each position per step. I skip this calculation and use the velocity from the previous step directly for setvelocity, which seems to work pretty well. I have tested it with over 170 sheeps and it worked without any noticeable lag, except if an new mapblock with new mobs is loaded. But I guess this is an engine issue

In the next step I will give the mobs the ability to see, hear or other "senses" and add more behaviours. My first "victim" will be the sheep

Robsoie

Re: New mob mod

by Robsoie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 14:00

I just watched your videos from your post on the video thread and the less i can say is that i'm very impressed.

And getting 170 creature using your movement code without any lag, that's nothing short of amazing.
Good luck in improving your excellent work.

burli

by burli » Tue Jul 12, 2016 14:58

Until now there is no real magic. I just calculate some vectors and leave the rest to the engine. It will become interesting if I have to read nodes and make decisions

I will upload the video later

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Wed Jul 13, 2016 23:18

Are you naming your mod "mobs"?

EDIT: Also I would recommend using yaw prediction less than 1 so that the turning looks smoother.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

burli

by burli » Thu Jul 14, 2016 03:13

Byakuren wrote:Are you naming your mod "mobs"?

EDIT: Also I would recommend using yaw prediction less than 1 so that the turning looks smoother.

I decided to name it s_mobs where s stands for steering, smooth or smart, whatever you prefer.

And the smoothness is limited because of the on_step call frequency

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Thu Jul 14, 2016 09:01

burli wrote:
Byakuren wrote:Are you naming your mod "mobs"?

I decided to name it s_mobs where s stands for steering, smooth or smart, whatever you prefer.

And the smoothness is limited because of the on_step call frequency

If you use the automatic_face_movement_dir property of an entity, it will gradually change visual yaw to match its velocity. I think the scale is 0.0 for no yaw prediction and 1.0 for immediately changing yaw to the movement direction. I think it might be worth removing manual yaw sets when you change your mob direction and instead use an automatic_face_movement_dir value somewhere between 0.9 and 0.99

burli

by burli » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:27

Doesn't work well. Can't find values for a smooth rotation. Manual rotation works better so far and doesn't cost much more CPU time

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Thu Jul 14, 2016 16:58

Alright.

burli

by burli » Thu Jul 14, 2016 17:16

Maybe I do it wrong, but I don't think so. And if I set yaw manually I have more control

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Thu Jul 14, 2016 17:57

I really like where you are going with this. :) Keep up the progress.

burli

by burli » Fri Jul 15, 2016 04:51

Thanks. I was able to limit the rotation speed. Now they don't spin around like crazy. And they can see the nodes around, jump upstairs or turn around in front of a wall

Works well, but still far away from finished

burli

by burli » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:48

And I guess I have to start optimization. My routine takes more than twice the time than mobs_redo. One thing is that I do a lot of vector calculation with 3d routines, but I only need 2d vectors. So maybe I will write a 2d vector library. Than I want to optimize as much as possible.

But I think it will be impossible to get the same time like mobs_redo

Return to Modding Discussion