Post your mapgen questions here (modding or engine)

minetestlover

Re: Post your mapgen questions here (modding or engine)

by minetestlover » Post

Sorry if this not the correct area to ask or has been answered before.

I wish to really break up the default:stone with other blocks. I understand mapgen_stone is generated in chunks so if I used a randomizer function on the mapgen_stone alias this would give me a random choice per chunk rather than per block, yes?
My first consideration was to use scatter ores but lots and lots of it to shotgun blast other blocks everywhere in the default:stone, however I am having trouble knowing what the value maximums are.
This seemed like a logical start but it errors out, I assume because it's too much:
"clust_scarcity and clust_num_ores" must be greater than 0"

minetest.register_ore({
ore_type = "scatter",
ore = "default:desert_stone",
wherein = "default:stone",
clust_scarcity = 1 * 1 * 1,
clust_num_ores = 5958200000000,
clust_size = 31000,
y_max = 0,
y_min = 0,
})

Could writing my own lua mapgen help here? If so could someone point me to some resources on where to begin with that?
Please feel free to laugh, I know what I've tried must look pretty silly. Thank you in advance of any help.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

minetestlover wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 13:59
Sorry if this not the correct area to ask or has been answered before.

I wish to really break up the default:stone with other blocks. I understand mapgen_stone is generated in chunks so if I used a randomizer function on the mapgen_stone alias this would give me a random choice per chunk rather than per block, yes?
My first consideration was to use scatter ores but lots and lots of it to shotgun blast other blocks everywhere in the default:stone, however I am having trouble knowing what the value maximums are.
This seemed like a logical start but it errors out, I assume because it's too much:
"clust_scarcity and clust_num_ores" must be greater than 0"

minetest.register_ore({
ore_type = "scatter",
ore = "default:desert_stone",
wherein = "default:stone",
clust_scarcity = 1 * 1 * 1,
clust_num_ores = 5958200000000,
clust_size = 31000,
y_max = 0,
y_min = 0,
})

Could writing my own lua mapgen help here? If so could someone point me to some resources on where to begin with that?
Please feel free to laugh, I know what I've tried must look pretty silly. Thank you in advance of any help.
Minetest generates in chunks of 5x5x5 blocks (1 block = 16 nodes; 1 chunk = 80x80x80 nodes) at a time. Trying to make a scatter ore larger than the chunk size doesn't make sense. Also, a clust_scarity of 1*1*1 = 1 is just going to replace all the stone (docs say: "Ore has a 1 out of clust_scarcity chance of spawning in a node." -> 1 in 1 is 100%). Also this ore is applied without regard to biome or y-coordinate, which you will probably want to add once you have the other parameters worked out.

So I would suggest upping your cluster scarcity, reducing the cluster size to something more reasonable, probably even less than 80*80*80. clust_num_ores can probably only be tuned once you have all of the ore registrations in place, since each ore needs to leave spare stone for the other ores to try. Also, you will need to use different noise parameters, at least the seed number, for each ore definition, or you'll get identical patterns.

Carefully revise the Ore definition docs and think about the consequences of each parameter in your mind, if you can, then get back to the coding.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

minetestlover

by minetestlover » Post

Thank you block head. I did not realize chunks were so small. This is all very helpful information. Thanks again.

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

minetestlover wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 13:59
Could writing my own lua mapgen help here?
Depends on the result you want. If you just want the new stone type to be present in patches or blobs in the default stone, then the ore definition is sufficient.
In this case it is helpful to first generate the 'ore' in "air" rather then "default:stone", because it is very easy to see the distribution this way. Then when you are finished tweaking the parameters you just change it back to generating in stone.

If instead you want to completely break up the default stone, so that the new stone type is present in about equal amounts in the underground then a lua mapgen is the way to go.

minetestlover

by minetestlover » Post

Code: Select all

minetest.register_ore({
		ore_type       = "scatter",
		ore            = "default:desert_stone",
		wherein        = {"default:stone"},
		clust_scarcity = 3 * 3 * 3,
		clust_num_ores = 25600,
		clust_size     = 80,
	})
This eliminates the error but doesn't seem to do anything. I tried running it a bunch of times to see if I could get anything noticable but alas no. If it is generating it's too scarce for what I want. I think as Skamiz says, I want a custom mapgen. Is there documentation about writing one anywhere? Thanks again.

Skamiz Kazzarch

You can try out this mod: https://content.minetest.net/packages/MisterE/luamap/
It is designed to make mapgen work a fairly simple process and it looks like it's fairly well documented.

Alternatively, if you want to see a mapgen mod that is closer how it's done in a more "vanilla" way, in the topic of my mod 'noise_handler' I have a template mapgen which I use for all of my own mapgen mods.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27883

minetestlover

by minetestlover » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 17:29
Thank you. I will get reading and report back.

MegaMegaMega

by MegaMegaMega » Post

Does anyone recognize what mod this is from?
weird2.png
weird2.png (788.69 KiB) Viewed 2759 times

Skamiz Kazzarch

No, but at a guess it's either a randomizer like this one: https://content.minetest.net/packages/NO11/randomizer/
or its just a result of someone messing with mapgen code.

corasTenthTry
GitHub: corarona
IRC: cora
In-game: cora

by corasTenthTry » Post

This kind of stuff (seemingly randomly exchanged nodes) can happen when wrong (or nil!?) names are given to minetest.get_content_id() in mapgen on_generated callbacks in my experience.

corasTenthTry
GitHub: corarona
IRC: cora
In-game: cora

by corasTenthTry » Post

regarding the original question the easiest to simply exchange stone with a different node is to set a (different) alias for mapgen_stone

e.g.

minetest.register_alias('mapgen_stone', 'my_cool_mod:stone')

same works for mapgen_water_source and mapgen_river_water_source for the "normal" mapgens and a bunch more for v6 ( https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... i.txt#L334 )

randomly exchanging it would need a lua mapgen, yeah ... the previously linked one shows how it works in relatively simple terms

EDIT:
if y_min and y_max are both 0 it would apply to just the 0 level (1 below water level i guess). To have it apply to all the map just leave out the y_min and y_max...

the actual world minimum and maximum values in default settings are -30912 and 30927

brayd
In-game: brayd

by brayd » Post

Hi I currently have defined custom biome. The generation of the biome works but the mapgen also generates nodes above the height I've defined in my lua files. The nodes generated above are just stone. How can I tell the mapgen (v7) to not generate anything above the biome height I defined? I tried it by simply adding another biome that only consists out of air but this didn't work.

The code is as follows:

Code: Select all

-- Register a test biome
minetest.register_biome({
    name = "plains",
    node_top = "pangeos:dirt_with_grass",
    depth_top = 1,
    node_filler = "pangeos:dirt",
    depth_filler = 3,
    node_stone = "pangeos:stone",
    node_water_top = "pangeos:water_source",
    depth_water_top = 1,
    node_water = "pangeos:water_source",
    node_river_water = "pangeos:river_water_source",
    node_riverbed = "pangeos:stone",
    depth_riverbed = 2,
    vertical_blend = 4,
    y_min = 2,
    y_max = 31,
    heat_point = 50,
    humidity_point = 50,
})

name = "plains_beach",
    node_top = "pangeos:sand",
    depth_top = 1,
    node_filler = "pangeos:sand",
    depth_filler = 3,
    node_riverbed = "pangeos:sand",
    depth_riverbed = 2,
    vertical_blend = 3,
    y_min = -4,
    y_max = 1,
    heat_point = 50,
    humidity_point = 50,
})

name = "plains_sky",
    node_top = "air",
    depth_top = 1,
    node_filler = "air",
    node_riverbed = "air",
    y_min = 32,
    y_max = 31000,
    heat_point = 50,
    humidity_point = 50,
})

Skamiz Kazzarch

Adding node_stone = "air", might help?
But even then you will end up with flat areas where the mountains were cut off, so...

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Biome definitions define where those nodes appear in the map. Biome definitions do not determine terrain height.

The terrain generates according to the heightmap. Biome definitions will not affect this. Your biome definition dictates only that those nodes appear within those y_min and y_max values, but terrain can generate well beyond those limits, above and below.

You will experience this issue in all mapgens, including lua mapgens, if the height of the heightmap exceeds the y_max value of the biome. This is what allows ocean, beach, and land based biomes within the same heat / humidity points.

Shad

Yargus
In-game: Yargus

by Yargus » Post

Hello, I'm not sure if I should write here or not here, but I'll write here. I'm trying to create a game and I don't understand how to make my map be created when creating a map like in the game "Alter". "Alter" described the logic and conversations, but I didn't find any code that would create a map

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Yargus wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 09:29
Hello, I'm not sure if I should write here or not here, but I'll write here. I'm trying to create a game and I don't understand how to make my map be created when creating a map like in the game "Alter". "Alter" described the logic and conversations, but I didn't find any code that would create a map
Alter doesn't use procedural mapgen. It has a world schematic baked in and just places that in the world: https://gitlab.com/yamanq/alter/-/blob/ ... t.lua#L196.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Midnight
GitHub: MidnightPhantom
IRC: Dragon
In-game: Dragon_Abysss

by Midnight » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 14:05
If you hold on for a while I will write you a mod for it, because I just realized that I also want that.
Do you want to block just lava or all liquids?

Edit: here you go.
no_cave_spill.zip
It places a stone basin around all underground liquid sources like so:
screenshot_20221204_163134.png
Works for all games which define a "mapgen_stone". aka most of them.

I really should have done this sooner, because the way liquids spill almost infinitely in Minetest annoys me to no end. So thank you for the idea.
Well thanks I needed this and forgive me for answering this late. And well thanks for giving the link to this post in another post I made.

aerkiaga
GitHub: aerkiaga
IRC: aerkiaga

by aerkiaga » Post

Hi guys, long time no see. I was wondering if minetest.delete_area is the correct way to force mapblocks to be re-generated. That is, to delete them in a way that mapgen code will need to be called next time they are emerged. Even if it worked, it is extremely slow though...

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

aerkiaga wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:25
Hi guys, long time no see. I was wondering if minetest.delete_area is the correct way to force mapblocks to be re-generated.
Yes that will work nicely. This is the Lua equivalent of running /deleteblocks.
aerkiaga wrote:
That is, to delete them in a way that mapgen code will need to be called next time they are emerged. Even if it worked, it is extremely slow though...
I think it is slow because it performs a single delete statement against the database for each block, one at a time, instead of being able to ask it to delete a range. So I think it can involve rebuilding indexes which can involve a lot of tree re-organising operations, depending on the implementation of the database. That plus a write-back to disk.

Range deletions is kind of a hard problem because Minetest doesn't store the x, y and z of a block in separate columns in the database but instead encodes them into one value. We'd need to change this to accommodate deletions, but that may have its own problems. For instance, it probably wouldn't be worth it if it made block load operations slower, since those are frequent, whereas block deletion is only done by admins and cleanup scripts basically.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 03:41
aerkiaga wrote:
That is, to delete them in a way that mapgen code will need to be called next time they are emerged. Even if it worked, it is extremely slow though...
I think it is slow because it performs a single delete statement against the database for each block, one at a time, instead of being able to ask it to delete a range.
Indeed. Minetest does one sql transaction for each deleted block. I also noticed this some weeks ago. The solution would be to put it all into one transaction. This is super simple, but I haven't gotten around to make a PR yet.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

aerkiaga
GitHub: aerkiaga
IRC: aerkiaga

by aerkiaga » Post

Interesting, thanks a lot you two!

Midnight
GitHub: MidnightPhantom
IRC: Dragon
In-game: Dragon_Abysss

by Midnight » Post

Hello everybody, here I come again.

Now here is my question,
How am I supposed to add a limit to cavern generation in minetest? Because I do not like the big void-like spaces in my world which lead to falling blocks getting stuck in the void, plus I don't get why doesn't the mtg map generate completely till -31000

minetestlover

by minetestlover » Post

Sorry I can't help with the previous post.

I have a question regarding vmanip "set_lighting"
The API doc says:
set_lighting(light, [p1, p2]): Set the lighting within the VoxelManip to a uniform value.
light is a table, {day=<0...15>, night=<0...15>}
can someone please tell me what these 'day' and 'night' values are? am I specifying how bright it should be if it generates during the day or night?

Skamiz Kazzarch

With the disclaimer that I don't know for certain.

I think it refers to natural and artificial light respectively. They are tracked as separate values.
In usual circumstances natural light value depends on on distance to closes position with unobstructed sky access and rendering brightness depends on light value and time of day.
Artificial light value depends only on closest/strongest light source node and it's rendering brightness is unchanging.

The visual brightness of a node is the greater one of the natural or artificial brightness.

At least that's my understanding of how this works.

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

minetestlover wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 06:28
Sorry I can't help with the previous post.

I have a question regarding vmanip "set_lighting"
The API doc says:
set_lighting(light, [p1, p2]): Set the lighting within the VoxelManip to a uniform value.
light is a table, {day=<0...15>, night=<0...15>}
can someone please tell me what these 'day' and 'night' values are? am I specifying how bright it should be if it generates during the day or night?
The clue to the meaning I think is present in the description of minetest.get_node_light(pos[, timeofday]). It takes into account the natural light received, which is somewhere between day-light and night-light according to the time of day. In VoxelManip, you can set all the lighting manually, or you can allow it to be automatically recalculated upon calling write_to_map.