Post your mapgen questions here (modding or engine)

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Re: Post your mapgen questions here (modding or engine)

by duane » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I did a quick test by teleporting to X, -20000, Z in the minimal subgame. The wieldhand immediately indicated I am in darkness.
I'm not entirely sure I'm following your discourse, but it occurs to me that setting the lighting won't help anyway. The acid test for lighting is what happens when you finish generation and start interacting with the terrain. When I'm having lighting issues, the first thing I do is dig a few nodes in the area and see if the lighting changes. In the past, even when I got an area underground to generate with light, the game would darken the region again as soon as I changed anything.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

paramat wrote:
> Maybe i can make it automatically use the biome stone node,

This is now done https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/6185 although it uses the defined biome 'node_stone'. it cannot use a brick variant because a mod or subgame may not have a brick version of the biome 'node_stone'.
This is pretty cool. I had no idea about this.
I got so jazzed when I found an ice dungeon today :)

Minetest has really taken off these last 2 years,
it's way more than just an MC clone anymore.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

From lua_api.txt:

Code: Select all

y_min = 1,
         y_max = 31000,
     --  ^ Lower and upper limits for biome.
     --  ^ Because biome is not recalculated for every node in a node column
     --  ^ some biome materials can exceed their limits, especially stone.
     --  ^ For each node column in a mapchunk, biome is only recalculated at column
     --  ^ top and at each of these surfaces:
     --  ^ Ground below air, water below air, ground below water.
     --  ^ The selected biome then stays in effect for all nodes below until
     --  ^ column base or the next biome recalculation.
What is the rationale for this behaviour? I mean that node_stone can exceed way beyond y_min. This makes the Biome API rather unpredictable and it's harder to do stacked biomes.

“Because biome is not recalculated for every node in a node column” → Is this important? I don't think I really understood it.

This test mod (depends on default from Minetest Game) creates wooden planks (as node_stone) down to Y=-32 rather than -10:

minetest.clear_registered_ores()
minetest.clear_registered_decorations()
minetest.clear_registered_biomes()
minetest.register_biome({
  name = "antistone",
  node_stone = "default:wood",
  y_min = -10,
  y_max = 10,
  humidity_point = 50,
  heat_point = 50,
})

Would it be possible to just make biome algorithm not place anything when Y reaches a height outside of y_min and y_max?

IMO it would make sense to prevent biomes from manipulating any nodes outside the range, it would simplify things a lot and is way more straight-forward.
I can't think of a good rationale why biomes should be allowed to place any nodes outside of that range in the first place.

duane

by duane » Post

Wuzzy wrote:“Because biome is not recalculated for every node in a node column” → Is this important? I don't think I really understood it.

This test mod (depends on default from Minetest Game) creates wooden planks (as node_stone) down to Y=-32 rather than -10:
-32 is a magic number in minetest. That's the bottom of your sea-level layer of chunks. Anytime you see it, a klaxon should go off in your mind.

Mapgens generally calculate biome only once for each XZ location, because that's the quickest and easiest way to do it for a typical map. Height limits are obeyed at ground level. Which is to say, your biome for that chunk's XZ is always whatever it calculates at your highest bit of terrain. They recalculate for each chunk, but usually make the biome the same as it is at ground level (even if it's not in that chunk), because that usually works. You've already found some of the exceptions. Bear in mind that ground level is usually calculated for every chunk, even if it's at Y=-34000.

Edit: See why I started doing all this stuff myself now?

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

This is a technical description but I was more asking for a justification for why the mapgen does the things the way it does.
But whatever, I guess I just use a LuaVoxelManipulator. It isn't hard and I hope it's not wasting too much CPU time.

Next question: Is it bad when I register 100-200 ores? :D

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Next question: Is it bad when I register 100-200 ores? :D
no just painful :D
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Next question: Is it bad when I register 100-200 ores? :D
And how did name them? ore1, ore2, ... ore200?

duane

by duane » Post

Wuzzy wrote:This is a technical description but I was more asking for a justification for why the mapgen does the things the way it does.
But whatever, I guess I just use a LuaVoxelManipulator. It isn't hard and I hope it's not wasting too much CPU time.
I meant that to be the justification -- it's quick and easy. That's a strong motivation. The noises we use for heat and humidity are 2D. If you really wanted to follow through with 3D biomes, you'd probably want to change them to 3D at some point, which is a lot more load on the cpu. Even just worrying about changing it based on altitude creates more complicated code and eats more processor time for something that most players don't care about. /shrug

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

> I did a quick test by teleporting to X, -20000, Z in the minimal subgame. The wieldhand immediately indicated I am in darkness.

I teleported deep and it works for me, the wield does go dark for a second because you are in ignore nodes before the chunk is generated.

> Also, your code doesn't make sense. write_to_map can't take data as an argument, only a boolean

Thanks, data is indeed not needed here, i got that habit from hmmmm's example:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6396

> How do I know to which biome a particular position belongs to outside of on_generated?

You would need to recreate the noises, biome points and voronoi diagram code in lua, i will add 'getBiomeAtPoint()' before 0.5.0.

> What is the preferred way to read the biomemap mapgen object? All I get is a flat array.

The index to a mapgen object 2D flat array is
(z - minp.z) * zstride + (x - minp.x) + 1
where zstride is chunksize in nodes (default 80).
The +1 may or may not be needed depending on whether the table is indexed from 0 or 1, i think in lua it's indexed from 1.

> Can I grab the v6 tree noise in Lua and use it to place decorations exactly in forests?

Yes. Just 'get' it (or if nil use the default noise params) and use in a lua noise function.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

> What is the rationale for this behaviour? I mean that node_stone can exceed way beyond y_min.

Speed and simplicity.

> “Because biome is not recalculated for every node in a node column” → Is this important?

Yes, if biome was calaculated per node (which is unnecessary) it would have to do so 512000 times per mapchunk, each biome calculation involves calculating the distance to each biome point and choosing the closest.
Instead it calculates biome only when it needs to for each column of nodes, currently it (re)calculates at each upper surface found while working down a node column: 'Ground below air, water below air, ground below water.' so only calculates 1-2 times per node column (there are 6400 node columns).

> it would make sense to prevent biomes from manipulating any nodes outside the range,

Yes ideally, i will work on it.

> Is it bad when I register 100-200 ores? :D

It will slow down mapgen, up to you to find a balance.

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

How to check if a region has changed?
If my mod wants to create a village in a coordinate, how can I check if another mod already built another village in the same place?

hajo

by hajo » Post

BrunoMine wrote:mod wants to create a village in a coordinate,
how can I check if another mod already built another village
For that, it is probably easiest to count blocks that only occur in buildings,
eg. doors, chests, glass...

roboto
GitHub: NewbProgrammer101
In-game: akoek

by roboto » Post

I'm integrating geomoria into Lord of the Test. I had success making it spawn in the lottmapgen; however, I can't seem to make it spawn in a specific biome like Misty Mountains (I don't know how to do this).

Question: How do I make geomoria spawn in Misty mountains only?

P.S. I am new to Lua and want to challenge myself. If you have an answer, turn it into hints--don't give me the whole answer. :)

duane

by duane » Post

roboto wrote:I'm integrating geomoria into Lord of the Test. I had success making it spawn in the lottmapgen; however, I can't seem to make it spawn in a specific biome like Misty Mountains (I don't know how to do this).

Question: How do I make geomoria spawn in Misty mountains only?

P.S. I am new to Lua and want to challenge myself. If you have an answer, turn it into hints--don't give me the whole answer. :)
That's kind of tricky since biome is set per map column rather than per map chunk, but you can just check the middle of the biomemap for the appropriate biome in mapgen.lua, then call or don't call geomorph(). You'll need the minetest.get_biome_id(biome_name) function as well as the minetest.get_mapgen_object() function.

roboto

by roboto » Post

I'm getting errors on minetest.get_biome_id being a nil method.

http://dev.minetest.net doesn't have any minetest.get_biome_id in the list of methods.

Devy
GitHub: DevyHeavy
In-game: devy

by Devy » Post

roboto wrote:I'm getting errors on minetest.get_biome_id being a nil method.

http://dev.minetest.net doesn't have any minetest.get_biome_id in the list of methods.
It is right here in the lua api on github: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L2692

Maybe that was recently introduced and it is only available on Minetest 0.5.0-dev?

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

No, the wiki is just outdated.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

roboto

by roboto » Post

Ok, I have

if lottmapgen.lottmapgen_biomes(11) then
    minetest.get_biome_id("iron_hills")
    biomemap = minetest.get_mapgen_object("biomemap")
    geomorph()
  end

And I'm not sure if this is going to work.

MommyKat
In-game: MommyKat DrClaw AriaJade

by MommyKat » Post

Hello all! I am NOT a programmer, just been a player for a few years, but we are trying to develop some more interesting private servers for our kids and their friends, and we (husband and me, he's the computer guy!) are tripping over an issue. I don't know if it's actually a modding issue, or a mapgen issue, feel free to redirect me.
We are trying to use V7 mapgen (because the insane terrain is just awesome!) and moretrees mod, but they don't seem to get along. We can get the moretrees in the inventory, but we can't seem to get them to generate automatically in the biomes. There was something about a plant library dependency, and he fixed that, but it still doesn't work. Help!
"If you don't have a good sense of humor, you're better off dead!" --Roger Rabbit

"Love feels a lot like tomatoes"-Candace Flynn

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

MommyKat wrote:Hello all! I am NOT a programmer, just been a player for a few years, but we are trying to develop some more interesting private servers for our kids and their friends, and we (husband and me, he's the computer guy!) are tripping over an issue. I don't know if it's actually a modding issue, or a mapgen issue, feel free to redirect me.
We are trying to use V7 mapgen (because the insane terrain is just awesome!) and moretrees mod, but they don't seem to get along. We can get the moretrees in the inventory, but we can't seem to get them to generate automatically in the biomes. There was something about a plant library dependency, and he fixed that, but it still doesn't work. Help!
did you install biom_lib? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12999

also, pay attention to this section of the mod post, I am not sure if it ever was fixed with V7 (actually, just read through all the posts there, and you will probably find any answers you are looking for )

"It is aimed primarily at mapgen v6, and does not use the biome capabilities supplied by mapgen v7 (that will change some day). As such, if used in a mapgen v7 world, it'll work just fine but the temperature and humidity maps will not match up the way you might expect.

On server-exit, biome_lib will "hang" the server for a bit so that it can play out the rest of its deferred-generation log. This process may take a couple of minutes, and is done to prevent areas being left under-populated.

This mod was formerly known as "plants_lib" and used to be included in the Plantlife Modpack."
A Wonderful World

duane

by duane » Post

MommyKat wrote:We are trying to use V7 mapgen (because the insane terrain is just awesome!) and moretrees mod, but they don't seem to get along. We can get the moretrees in the inventory, but we can't seem to get them to generate automatically in the biomes. There was something about a plant library dependency, and he fixed that, but it still doesn't work. Help!
It's been a while since I played with more trees, but I seem to remember having to enable most of the trees, as replacements for the stock trees, in the configuration (or in minetest.conf). This was done so that people wouldn't lose the stock trees without warning (although most probably want to). There should be something in the readme file in more trees about that.

duane

by duane » Post

roboto wrote:Ok, I have

if lottmapgen.lottmapgen_biomes(11) then
    minetest.get_biome_id("iron_hills")
    biomemap = minetest.get_mapgen_object("biomemap")
    geomorph()
  end

And I'm not sure if this is going to work.
That definitely will not work. However, at this point I'm not sure what you intended to do here and how much advice you want, so it's hard for me to advise you.

What I would do is store the return value of get_biome_id, and compare it to one index (xz location) in the biomemap, which you've retrieved. Use an if statement based on that to call geomorph().
Spoiler
In pseudo code:

set biomemap = get_biomemap(..)
set iron_hills = get_biome_id('iron_hills')
set biome = biomemap[location]
if biome == iron_hills then
  geomorph()
end

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

EDIT: Never mind, it wouldn't work anyway.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

roboto

by roboto » Post

@duane,

You were unclear about comparing the biome id with the (xz location??) So I took a peek at the spoilers and used set biome = biomemap[location]???? as
local biome = biomemap["-200", "-250"]
-200 is the x coordinate whereas -250 is the z coordinate. That was my assumption of what you meant.

I also put a link between lottmapgen.lottmapgen_biomes(11) and minetest.get_biome_id("iron_hills") because lottmapgen.lottmapgen_biomes(11) was not named "iron_hills" in the lottmapgen mod.

roboto

by roboto » Post

-