Post your mapgen questions here (modding or engine)

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: Post your mapgen questions here (modding or engine)

by Byakuren » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Is it possible to prevent this?
I rather want the peony to not be generated at all instead of being generated only partially, because this is something which must never happen in my mapgen. I think of this: If Minetest fails to place any node (except those with probability 0), the entire decoration is not placed. Think of it as an “all-or-nothing decoration”. :D
Is this possible?
What about using decorations to place peony spawners which try to place a peony on LBM?
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

taikedz wrote: Second thought - would it be possible/desirable to split the trees into a "trees" mod within minetest_game, such that tree generation and ABMs could be overridden specifically, without needing to make a new subgme?

This means obviosuly that a tree-placement API spec needs defining, so that any new tree mod would be able to expose a compatible API.... maybe supply a base template in the distribution?
Please take a look at my trees_lib mod. It does not add what is covered in this thread here - you still have to create the schematics, functions or L-system-string from which your trees are to be created. Mapgen needs to be told where to place it. The textures also have to be provided. But: You don't have to worry about registering all the nodes (trees, leaves, saplings, planks), craft receipes and ABMs. The lib is quite powerful in that regard and supports most ways of how trees may come into existence.
A list of my mods can be found here.

taikedz
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

by taikedz » Post

Sokomine wrote:
taikedz wrote: Second thought - would it be possible/desirable to split the trees into a "trees" mod within minetest_game, such that tree generation and ABMs could be overridden specifically, without needing to make a new subgme?

This means obviosuly that a tree-placement API spec needs defining, so that any new tree mod would be able to expose a compatible API.... maybe supply a base template in the distribution?
Please take a look at my trees_lib mod. It does not add what is covered in this thread here - you still have to create the schematics, functions or L-system-string from which your trees are to be created. Mapgen needs to be told where to place it. The textures also have to be provided. But: You don't have to worry about registering all the nodes (trees, leaves, saplings, planks), craft receipes and ABMs. The lib is quite powerful in that regard and supports most ways of how trees may come into existence.
Thanks noted - but I was more thinking that minetest_game itself should expose existing tree functionality as an API from within minetest_game, and have a separate tree mod (again within minetest_game) that makes use of that API

My suggestion is to make said tree mod also overridable, the same way adding "farming_plus" simply overrides the default "farming" ; as opposed to trees_lib or more_trees which exist as supplementing the default tree mechanisms, as well as providing a separate API that is not part of the default game...

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

taikedz wrote: Thanks noted - but I was more thinking that minetest_game itself should expose existing tree functionality as an API from within minetest_game, and have a separate tree mod (again within minetest_game) that makes use of that API
The lib was written with the intention of supplying it with MTG. It has now been accepted for minetest-mods and will hopefully draw more attention.
taikedz wrote: My suggestion is to make said tree mod also overridable, the same way adding "farming_plus" simply overrides the default "farming" ; as opposed to trees_lib or more_trees which exist as supplementing the default tree mechanisms, as well as providing a separate API that is not part of the default game...
It's intended to provide a general library with functions stored in a table and many many places where other mods can plug in. Functions can be called whenever a new tree type is registered so that wooden products using that tree can be registered (i.e. doors, wood, fences, ...), a function is called when a tree grows from a sapling, another one decides what to do with the sapling, ..But so far, MTG doesn't have any api that we could override in any way. The trees there are more or less mixed into default.

The only relevant tree-related factors trees_lib doesn't cover at all is the placement on the map at mapgen time. I wonder if it would make sense to include such a mechanism as well - or if that won't be helpful because it depends too much on the mapgen.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Mator wrote:What I'd like to do is create new map generation presets for generating certain fractal objects, and eventually a mixed "fractal garden" preset.
By the way, do you know that Minetest has a builtin fractal map generator? It supports 18 different fractal variants and a few config parameters as well. I think it might be interesting for you. It is mostly Mandelbrot and Julia sets.

See the advanced config menu for the full configuration.

Thanks noted - but I was more thinking that minetest_game itself should expose existing tree functionality as an API from within minetest_game, and have a separate tree mod (again within minetest_game) that makes use of that API
The official name is “Minetest Game”, not “minetest_game”.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

hey paramat, quick question... which I hope I am wording right so it makes sense

why do default tree and pine tree generate different in certain areas of v7?

I'd like to know because the way default tree generates in this image, is how I want them to look everywhere.

I already made myself a new schematic to make oak trees for my subgame, using random place copied from default tree, but do not get the same generation as here.

am I missing something? because neither the tree nor pine tree schematics in default, accommodate for such a drastic diff in these trees generation o_0 so I am confused
Attachments
diff tree gen.png
diff tree gen.png (536.89 KiB) Viewed 460 times
A Wonderful World

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

> why do default tree and pine tree generate different in certain areas of v7?

Do you mean the tree density variation?
By the way your tree schematic should use per-node force-place to force place trunks/branches but not leaves, in the screenshot the leaves of one tree are cutting the trunks of another.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

But that's what I mean..., these are default. In default minetest game.

I have not touched anything on this map.
But these generation of pine tree and tree, seem to happen in various, but small parts of the map.
And I cannot figure it out.

here and there, I find these.
very different pine trees, and taller and much more robust default tree clusters... yet I do not know what is causing it.
I like the way they look but..., nothing in the schematics would call for this look : /

The only tree schematics have done are on my own custom game.
A Wonderful World

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Here's a better shot.
Notice the reg default tree and pine trees, and then the diff versions of both?

this is on a v7 map, with everything original and default, no magic, no trickery ; )
coords:in gps show (-1424 24 -2292) : 0

Maybe minetest trees are mutating to adapt to your new biomes? :P

... It's ALIVE!!!!
Attachments
another diff trees shot.png
another diff trees shot.png (924.19 KiB) Viewed 460 times
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

that the first time i see this. pine trees forest does not look like this mess and i've never seen such a compact tree block.

Can i have the seed please? i wanna test!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

paramat wrote:By the way your tree schematic should use per-node force-place to force place trunks/branches but not leaves, in the screenshot the leaves of one tree are cutting the trunks of another.
It happens in default MT. If you place two saplings close to each other, then one tree may grows normally, but in the middle of trunk of another tree will be leaves of first tree.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

In these two screenshots, it is only the pine trees which have trunks cut into by pine needles.
The default trees are not affected by this, they are simply taller (about twice as high) with much more branch going on, and no apples growing on them.

I just created an entirely new world with v7 and flying around to see if I can see this reproduced.
But the map these screenshots are from was a new v7 world as well, so I have no idea how this is happening.

I had thought "maybe" there was some mod I had enabled, then disabled, and maybe these trees are just an artifact but, then again..., how could even that be?
The default schematics would still not produce such a variation in how these trees are generated.

This really has my brain sizzling.
I have looked through every single bit of code which is related to trees and tree generation, and I cannot fond anything different.

And the funny thing is, it is not that I am annoyed by these trees..., I actually love them, but I wish really bad there were a program I could open these mts files to see if there is anything different about them..., (which there should not be, as they are the default) : /
But, once an mts is created..., it "is" an mts. Nothing more / nothing less

You have just stepped into.... the twilight zone
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Into the wtf trees zone is better.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Ok i understand now, this is very weird, it has not happened to me.
Please open an issue on Github in case someone else can reproduce this.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

paramat wrote:Ok i understand now, this is very weird, it has not happened to me.
Please open an issue on Github in case someone else can reproduce this.
As soon as I finish my reinstall I will do that. But, do you really feel this is an "issue"?
I view it as a feature, you know me :P

I still have not come to an area on a new map flying around with the same results but I only flew round about 3 minutes.
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: I view it as a feature
Such a wierd and problematic (too dense and ugly forest of wird unknow trees) issue can't be called a feature, for me. I'll try to reproduce this...

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I'll be a day or two before I can try to reproduce it.

I also want to take a second, thorough look through all the code involved, to make certain this is not the result of anything I may have done.

I do not believe so, as I stopped making changes in default MT and actually reinstalled all default code and settings, etc.

But I want to be cautious not to post an issue which may not be the case.
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Actually i found huge forest but everything was normal. Your trees looks like L-system ones. If you reproduce it, send me the seed and the coordinates, like that i will see if i can get it too!

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Code: Select all

aspen_tree_from_sapling.mts
Does someone know what is doing this file? it's from default mod in the last version (dev build of mt 4.15)

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

paramat,
I have not been able to reproduce this so, it has to be something I may have done but missed?
I still don;t understand as the untouched schematics should not even allow this but, I will hold off on opening an issue.
If I do come across it again in another fresh world, I will open one, but seems pointless at this time.
A Wonderful World

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

The 'from sapling' schematics are the schematics that grow from saplings, unlike mapgen schematics their trunk nodes do not replace existing nodes so cannot grief structures, like growing up through bridges etc.

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

Hello

As i have always been annoyed in mapgenV7 by jungles being horrible to navigate and even worse noticably impacting performance, i always had changed in the mapgen.lua for the -- Jungle tree and log

fill_ratio = 0.1,
to

fill_ratio = 0.04,
And it solved my problem entirely, i usually halves the offset and scale for the other forestal trees too so forest sare better spaced for building.

But i have a problem now as i can't find how to do this for mapgenV6 , that i usually prefer for being less chaotic and more believable considering the lack of realistic mapgen in Minetest.
Anyone knows ?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Mgv6 does not use the Biome API or the registered biomes and decorations, tree placement is hardcoded in mgv6 code. Edit this noise parameter in advanced settings or edit and add this line to .conf https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... mple#L1329

mgv6_np_trees = 0, 1, (125, 125, 125), 2, 4, 0.66, 2.0
Try reducing 'offset' and/or 'scale' (first 2 numbers). This affects appletree density too, jungletrees automatically have 4 times the density of appletrees.

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

Thank you !
I will test around the values.

Edit : looks like for it to make a noticable difference i had to go really low in the scale value

scale = 1 (the default big blob of ultra super dense near unplayable jungle)

and generating a world on the same seed (so i find a jungle on same place) but with scale lowered to 0.001
When walking, the jungle still is very dense (wonder how low one need to go with the scale to get it less dense), but at least it's much more playable in term of navigation and performance.
Much better for my taste :)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

You should reduce 'offset' first, it has more effect, then tune both to alter forest size.
With scale near zero you probably have forest everywhere now and no grassland.