Some technical questions on "concatenating" textures

Glory!
GitHub: Glory7000
In-game: Glory7000

Some technical questions on "concatenating" textures

by Glory! » Post

Hi,

I want to make a skin-esque, charactercreator-esque mod, but I'm planning to use a lot of textures. (And a mind numbing amount of such!)

How does the engine handle "concatenated" textures? Like default:dirt_with_grass or "skin_name.png"^"hat.png"

How heavy on resources are "concatenated" textures? Is there a proportion for n textures, it takes m something?

Is there a limit to how many textures you can "concatenate" into one? What about

Code: Select all

"aacc_base_"..player.skin_properties['skin']..".png"^"aacc_shoes_"..player.skin_properties['footwear']..".png"^"aacc_trousers_"..player.skin_properties['legwear']..".png"^"aacc_shirt_"..player.skin_properties['shirt']..".png"^"aacc_coat_"..player.skin_properties['coat']..".png"^"aacc_eyes_"..player.skin_properties['eyes']..".png"^"aacc_hair_"..player.skin_properties['hair']..".png"^"aacc_hat_"..player.skin_properties['hat']..".png"
Thanks in advance
GutsAndGlory!
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath. :: My skin A competitor that unfortunately needs attention to stay afloat.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: Some technical questions on "concatenating" textures

by sfan5 » Post

There's no set limit, however every texture you add will carry the memory overhead of itself and a final-sized one with it.
While this likely won't be a problem you might want to consider using [combine instead as it doesn't save the combination steps and is thus lighter on memory.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

bell07
GitHub: bell07

Re: Some technical questions on "concatenating" textures

by bell07 » Post

I like the idea about Character creator!
Please note we have already a character_creator: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13138 Maybe you can reuse something or you work together with Rui on the same mod.