Chance Cubes Ideas

bigfoot
GitHub: bigfoot547
IRC: bigfoot547 or bigfoot
In-game: bigfoot547 or bigfoot

Chance Cubes Ideas

by bigfoot » Post

I am making a mod which adds chance cubes and I need suggestions. I am shooting for 100 possibilities, and they all need to be sort of unlucky, or bad.

admicos
GitHub: admicos
IRC: admicos
In-game: admicos

Re: Chance Cubes Ideas

by admicos » Post

* Surround the cube with indestructible/hard to break blocks.
* Give the player a huge amount of useless items, filling their inventory.
* Explode?
* Do nothing.

bigfoot

by bigfoot » Post

admicos wrote:
  1. Surround the cube with indestructable/hard to break blocks.
  2. Give the player a huge amount of useless items, filling their inventory.
  3. Explode.
  4. Do nothing.
  1. Yes! That would be a great idea!
  2. Yes, Yes! Which item to use? Or should I define a new item?
  3. Currently, the mod already does this.
  4. Yes, this is great because you don't know if you got this chance, or if you are lagging.

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

1- random teleport player;
2-become a entitiy;
3- damage player;
4- become another block;
5- Empties the inventory of the player;
6-emit light;
7-emit sound;
8-burn;
9-temporary change skybox;
10-heal player;

Simons_Mith

by Simons_Mith » Post

Here's a pretty varied list of ideas, some of which are bad ideas for reasons I'll explain:

Play annoying music*
Weaken tools
Change useful into less useful blocks nearby
Spawn hostile mobs
Make friendly mobs hostile
Despawn friendly mods
Add damage
Poison
Destroy tools
Remove inventory to distant location
Add negative effects like mining fatigue, slow movement, restricted jumping, reduced damage, blindness, drunkeness, bad luck
Spawn dangerous blocks nearby - spawners, falling blocks
Change time of day to night
Scramble controls
Alter gravity
Inlfict teleportitis (random unpredictable teleports for a time)
despawn nearby blocks

And so on.

*Some of these make more in-game sense than others, and here's a game design tip: filling a character's inventory with junk, scrambling controls and so on might be technically feasible, but there's no point inflicting random inconveniences on a character. Everything that can happen ought to make in-game sense and not annoy the player. So summoning dangerous mobs could make in-game sense. Even cursing their equipment so that it breaks can be explained. But there's an unwritten rule you should try to follow: make sure everything bad that happens makes in-game sense to the character, and don't do things that would screw the player. An obnoxious flashing screen sounds like a great joke, [and you have got 100 slots of bad stuff you want to fill], but that could genuinely harm a player, if they've got epilepsy. Sounds and mucking about with config settings also affect the player not the character, so even when they're technically feasible they should be off-limits. For example, you could just randomly pause the game for five minutes. But that's not fun, that's just annoying. So whatever bad stuff you come up with, make sure it's restricted to in-game consequences and doesn't spill over.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Lucky Blocks mod : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13284

bigfoot

by bigfoot » Post

TenPlus1: I'm not making lucky blocks. I'm making chance cubes ;)
Chance cubes are known to be more of a risk/reward thing. There's a very high chance something very bad will happen, but also smaller chance something great could happen.
Finally, chance cubes aren't crafted, they are obtained by beating quests (if I ever make a quests mod) or just randomly.
*Some of these make more in-game sense than others, and here's a game design tip: filling a character's inventory with junk, scrambling controls and so on might be technically feasible, but there's no point inflicting random inconveniences on a character. Everything that can happen ought to make in-game sense and not annoy the player. So summoning dangerous mobs could make in-game sense. Even cursing their equipment so that it breaks can be explained. But there's an unwritten rule you should try to follow: make sure everything bad that happens makes in-game sense to the character, and don't do things that would screw the player. An obnoxious flashing screen sounds like a great joke, [and you have got 100 slots of bad stuff you want to fill], but that could genuinely harm a player, if they've got epilepsy. Sounds and mucking about with config settings also affect the player not the character, so even when they're technically feasible they should be off-limits. For example, you could just randomly pause the game for five minutes. But that's not fun, that's just annoying. So whatever bad stuff you come up with, make sure it's restricted to in-game consequences and doesn't spill over.
I very much agree, thank you for your ideas :)

Sires
GitHub: Sires0
IRC: Sires
In-game: Sires Sores Siri Seris or anything ppl call me

by Sires » Post

All the easy ones have been taken ? Lemme get some original ideas

Risky ones:
In a radius of 25 turn every dirt block into lava, unbreakable blocks or an tnt:tnt_burning
Setting player home to 200 blocks up the original home

Reward ones:
Spawning DA DIAMOND ENTITIE, an entity that follows the player(just 2 y blocks up the player) and turns every block it passes into diamond or mese block and keeps alive by 30 secs
Granting player temporary fast by 5 minutes
I don't have anything important to say.