[idea] Airplane Mod

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

[idea] Airplane Mod

by v-rob » Post

Could someone make an airplane mod? We've got cars and trains, so what about highly detailed planes?

Here's my idea: There would be planes that have to go down a runway and take off. They are not able to go below the high speed when they are in the air. The plane can be angled upwards and downwards to go up and down, but it can't go steeper than a certain angle. The speed should have three settings: off, the speed where it moves around the airport to the runways (low), and flying speed (high). The plane automatically speeds up or slows down when you tell it to go to a certain speed. You need to be able to steer. There should be view and player model offsets like the advtrains mod has. You should also be able to get into the plane by walking in the door. Lastly, you should be able to have automatic seating arrangements.

I have some plane ideas.
1. A commercial airliner
2. A cargo plane
3. A biplane
4. A rescue plane
5. War planes (could drop bombs and/or have missiles)

I have a sample of a plane already. It's modeled after the Boeing 747 commercial airliner.

(Well, half an example, actually.)

In this sample mod I made, the plane will disappear if you are not looking directly at it, but this won't happen when it's an entity.
Attachments
modeltester.zip
(73.19 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

lisacvuk
GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

Re: [idea] Airplane Mod

by lisacvuk » Post

Why do people want vehicles in MT so much? MT is not made for it. Of course it could be done, but not in any enjoyable or playable way. Minetest is strong in building and material gathering, not combat or driving.

Model collision is bad.
Entities lag.
You can't get which keys player pressed.
It's lisac, not lisa.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
Administrator on Craig's server. Minetest player.
"The enemy pales when they see the face of Dazzle!" ~ Dazzle obviously.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks
I appreciate donations in TF2 items. :)

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

lisacvuk wrote: Model collision is bad. >>> horrible you mean
Entities lag. >>> no. not at all.
You can't get which keys player pressed. >>> how do you think the vehicules mod work? By checking if keys are pressed!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

lisacvuk
GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

You can only check if player is sneaking or holding use; or other binds. Not specific keys, like checking if he's holding Q down.
It's lisac, not lisa.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
Administrator on Craig's server. Minetest player.
"The enemy pales when they see the face of Dazzle!" ~ Dazzle obviously.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks
I appreciate donations in TF2 items. :)

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

ther might be a way to ckeck, rmemeber lua and minetest is a powerful combo. If else, (or more likely "elseif") put an issue on github (which will probably be closed in no time.)

taikedz
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

by taikedz » Post

There are flying vehicles in mod vehicles

https://github.com/D00Med/vehicles

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

and there's a biplane mod and an helicopter mod! note thta those too are old and don't work anymore (sadly :[)

stu did an hovercraft mod

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

taikedz wrote:There are flying vehicles in mod vehicles

https://github.com/D00Med/vehicles
They hold 1 player only, don't have inventories, have bad physics, and ae missing a lot of other things I put in my first post.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

v-rob wrote: They hold 1 player only, don't have inventories, have bad physics, and ae missing a lot of other things I put in my first post.
He is kidding d00med, don't listen to him xD

the 1 player issue is hard but possible to fix. Inventories? this is pie (actually not at all)! Physics... What does it mean? Physics in minetest? :D

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:
v-rob wrote: They hold 1 player only, don't have inventories, have bad physics, and ae missing a lot of other things I put in my first post.
He is kidding d00med, don't listen to him xD

the 1 player issue is hard but possible to fix. Inventories? this is pie (actually not at all)! Physics... What does it mean? Physics in minetest? :D
Planes act like gliders and you can fly straight up.

John_Constructor
GitHub: John-Constructor
In-game: Nooberton

by John_Constructor » Post

Some planes CAN fly straight up, depending on weight and engine power, however I can understand that about the standard plane...
Constructing mechs and wingless aircraft since 2016.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

John_Constructor wrote:Some planes CAN fly straight up, depending on weight and engine power, however I can understand that about the standard plane...
No plane can fly straight up if their nose is pointed forwards and not up.

John_Constructor

v-rob wrote:
John_Constructor wrote:Some planes CAN fly straight up, depending on weight and engine power, however I can understand that about the standard plane...
No plane can fly straight up if their nose is pointed forwards and not up.
Makes sense come to think of it, there's always a chance of being a radian off... Yet again conventional flying doesn't involve pitching up at all, definitely something that can be built into a Minetest mod.

AntumDeluge
GitHub: AntumDeluge
IRC: AntumDeluge

by AntumDeluge » Post

v-rob wrote:No plane can fly straight up if their nose is pointed forwards and not up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pweY5y5eRI

I'm assuming that "jet" is implied with "plane".

I do agree with you about the physics. But, I don't think Minetest is optimized for flight simulation.

AntumDeluge
GitHub: AntumDeluge
IRC: AntumDeluge

by AntumDeluge » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:and there's a biplane mod and an helicopter mod! note thta those too are old and don't work anymore (sadly :[)
Helicopter still works. Use petermaloney's fork, it is more updated.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

John_Constructor wrote:Some planes CAN fly straight up
ki-10 is helicopter

taikedz
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

by taikedz » Post

v-rob wrote:Could someone make an airplane mod? We've got cars and trains, so what about highly detailed planes?
Ah right, this is mainly what I read. The trains and cars are small items. The airplane that you're talking about below is a little more involved...
v-rob wrote:There would be planes that have to go down a runway and take off. They are not able to go below the high speed when they are in the air. ... The speed should have three settings: off, the speed where it moves around the airport to the runways (low), and flying speed (high).
Likely possible, probably registered against global_step, with a function to detect the speed setting and then automatically move all existing entittiies...
v-rob wrote:The plane automatically speeds up or slows down when you tell it to go to a certain speed. You need to be able to steer.
You could use a formspec to add 3 buttons for each speed I guess.

Steering would have to be either by pointing a direction with your view direction, or using another formspec with up/down/veer left/veer right/normalize buttons... not sure that's a great experience...
v-rob wrote:The plane can be angled upwards and downwards to go up and down, but it can't go steeper than a certain angle.
For highly mobile things, an entity is the way forward (rather than continually re-drawing ndoes) - probably would have to put these in individual frames if stored in a single mesh file
v-rob wrote:There should be view and player model offsets like the advtrains mod has. You should also be able to get into the plane by walking in the door.
"Getting in" is a tough one. A single entity has a single anchor point, and a player is either "attached" to the entity at that point, or not. Maybe if the player approaches the entity at a given angle (taking existing yaw into account) and at a certain distance from the anchor point (the "door" point), then the player could automatically be attached to it.
v-rob wrote:Lastly, you should be able to have automatic seating arrangements.
I doubt this is possible with a single entity - also, seating arrangements for whom? One player-- one attachment. Also, if you ever *were* able to get non-pilot players in, it would be an incredibly dull experience.

If you were to implement it as multiple entities, just getting the individual yaws and relative positions right would be a chore when the collection rotates, nevermind implementing the pitch and roll positions individually to macth the collection's overall state - note that you cannot change an entity's pitch or roll, you can only set an animation frame from the mesh.
v-rob wrote:I have a sample of a plane already. It's modeled after the Boeing 747 commercial airliner.

Nice model :-)
v-rob wrote:In this sample mod I made, the plane will disappear if you are not looking directly at it, but this won't happen when it's an entity.
As in, the blocks get unloaded? Yes that would make sense. Entites also disappear when you're too far from their anchor point/core so depending on the size of the plane, you probably are going to have great difficulties seeing it before you're wham in the middle of it, at least on first approach.

I'd be curious to know, what gameplay value would this bring?

The small single planes I mentioned in my first suggestion have for aim to allow players to fly when they don't have fly privilege - it is especially of use on servers where the player can't just decide to change their flight ability.

The plane you are suggesting seems to indicate having passengers, which sounds like a pretty boring proposal for anyone who is not a pilot.

You're aiming to make something closer to a flight sim. I doubt this is the right game engine to be implementing against -- the only persons I could imagine wanting to do this would be those who'd want to prove that they themselves can do it. Jeija (creator of the heavily modified engine spheretest) is the only candidate I can think of, and I'm pretty sure he's got other fish to fry...

John_Constructor

Once I was tempted to try and make something like this (Except without the multiple passengers), yet my knowledge in Lua isn't on the right skill level for creating entities or getting them to do things based on WASD (Animations, velocity and such), the idea is quite the concept though... I'd be willing to attempt development of such a mod, and to the above; I can see what you mean about the loading/unloading and the multiple passengers concept, those would be quite difficult. On the whole though, it'd be nice to see.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Best airplane mod can be done if somebody has big interest in coding. I will plan to do it.

Actually i have already planned many mods with nice engine that have never existed yet in Minetest.

FG_Regulus

by FG_Regulus » Post

Where's the delete post button?

apercy
GitHub: APercy
In-game: APercy

by apercy » Post

I was spying on this thread more for nostalgia. From my point of view, such a fast object is still a little difficult, but not impossible. I wouldn't use this model of the 747, but maybe a dassault falcon will emerge someday, based on a model I made a few years ago https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/pinguin ... e1ff357469