Best modules' development practices?

Post Reply
User avatar
Hamlet
Member
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 21:09
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet
Location: Lombardy, Italy

Best modules' development practices?

by Hamlet » Post

I've realized that until now I've ignored a rather common issue for the end users: a quick and simple method to get rid of my mod(s) nodes from their maps, should they want to quit using them.

E.g.: the hidden doors module adds tens of nodes which someday people may want to get rid of - whatever their reason - and that's where the issue arises.

So I've thought about adding to my current and future mods a switch that the user can toggle from the advanced settings' menu; i.e. "Remove this mod's nodes? [Y/N]"

"No" = usual mod behaviour
"Yes" = cleaner behaviour: the mod just loads a LBM that will take care of the duty.

Thinking about this improvement I thought you might have had other handy ideas, or suggestions for newbie developers like me: please do share your thoughts!
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page | I'm on PureOS with XFCE

John_Constructor
Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 20:06
GitHub: John-Constructor
In-game: Nooberton
Location: On Minetest 24/7

Re: Best modules' development practices?

by John_Constructor » Post

Honestly this may be a good idea, sometimes I end up needing to clean up unknown nodes myself from disabling them before they cause a crash (I have experienced unknown nodes crashing my system)- Definitely going to be good for server owners who want to disable mods (However if they forget that the setting is on, their nodes will be deleted while they're strolling along).
Constructing mechs and wingless aircraft since 2016.

User avatar
Hamlet
Member
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 21:09
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet
Location: Lombardy, Italy

Re: Best modules' development practices?

by Hamlet » Post

John_Constructor wrote:Honestly this may be a good idea, sometimes I end up needing to clean up unknown nodes myself from disabling them before they cause a crash (I have experienced unknown nodes crashing my system)- Definitely going to be good for server owners who want to disable mods (However if they forget that the setting is on, their nodes will be deleted while they're strolling along).
Thanks for your feedback; I consider it like having something similar to the "Uninstall" option, the software itself takes care of removing its traces from the computer without having to rely on third party softwares (e.g. registry cleaners and alike).
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page | I'm on PureOS with XFCE

Sokomine
Member
Posts: 4170
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 17:31
GitHub: Sokomine

Re: Best modules' development practices?

by Sokomine » Post

Hamlet wrote: Thanks for your feedback; I consider it like having something similar to the "Uninstall" option, the software itself takes care of removing its traces from the computer without having to rely on third party softwares (e.g. registry cleaners and alike).
Sounds good at first. Trouble is: A mod might get disabled automaticly due to bugs or incompatibility. And if blocks from the mod have been used inside buildings, your builders might get quite angry if their creations are partly griefed. Better to have unkown nodes than nodes gone without trace. Maybe you can write a seperate clean-up-mod that cleans up only nodes from mods the server owner/local player really wants to have removed and where at least the modname was entered manually.
A list of my mods can be found here.

User avatar
Hamlet
Member
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 21:09
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet
Location: Lombardy, Italy

Re: Best modules' development practices?

by Hamlet » Post

Sokomine wrote: Sounds good at first. Trouble is: A mod might get disabled automaticly due to bugs or incompatibility. And if blocks from the mod have been used inside buildings, your builders might get quite angry if their creations are partly griefed.
This is something I had not thought about - brainstorming ftw! - your idea about a separate cleaner module sounds safer, I will apply it to my hidden_doors module, which at the moment has that option as builtin feature.
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page | I'm on PureOS with XFCE

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests